Texas Hunting Forum

Best Cold Weather Clothing?

Posted By: Lil Joe

Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/29/14 05:15 PM

I am going on a hunt in Kansas in November and want to be prepared for extreme cold without too much bulkiness to interfere with drawing/shooting my bow. Also want it to be quiet. I don't want my trip to be spoiled by this situation. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/29/14 05:23 PM

I hunt up there in November and just use layers and fleece material. Keep your feet warm and stay dry. If a strong front is moving through, there aren't any clothes that are going to save you, wind is fierce. Use a body wrap that allows your upper body to move freely so you don't have to be bulky. Good luck cheers
Posted By: D.Ray

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/29/14 06:27 PM

"layers and fleece material"....Started doing this a few years ago. Now I stay MUCH warmer and no bulk.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/29/14 06:54 PM

Iwom
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/29/14 11:31 PM

bowhunting at -20F I can sit for 4-6 hours or at -30F for 2 hours. Colder than that the deer get a pass. My setup is the following:

Boots:

Muck Arctic Sport supplemented with chemical heat pack under the toes

Gloves:

Pair of tight fitting nitrile gloves (tight dish gloves will do in a pinch) worn inside thick thinsulate mitts. When a deer comes in pull the mitts off and you can still draw the bow with the gloves on. The under gloves give you precious extra minutes to hold your draw. I have magnets sewn into the mitts and my jacket so I can attach the mitt to my jacket when I pull it off. This prevents it from falling out of the stand.

Clothes:

- Bass Pro Lifetime Hunting Socks
- thermal long johns and top (polypropylene)
- light fleece top and and pants
- heavy fleece top and pants (Alternatively if really cold I use heavy cowichan wool or worst case both wool and fleece or sometimes a down bomber)
- Wind proof pants and jacket ( I use gore-tex pro shell)
- Fleece balaclava that seals down around the neck inside the heavy fleece top
- Beaver fur hat on top of balaclava

Add about 15 minutes to your routine as it takes about this long to put all this on. Layers are important as you can walk out in minimal gear so you don't work up a sweat and than gear up right before you go up the tree. Also I do not spray any scent control product on the clothes as this makes them damp and will cause a chill. If you really want scent control product spray the clothes several hours before so they can dry.

Also if your teeth start to chatter and you can't stop them than it's time to go no matter how long you have been out. If it gets to this stage be extra careful getting out of the stand as your coordination may be comprised.

Also no cotton whatsoever (not even a t-shirt or underwear). When and if you sweat the cotton will stay wet and act like a heat sink and suck the heat out of your body.

Check out the following:

http://www.sitkagear.com

They make good stuff but it is pricey.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/30/14 03:13 AM

1-merino wool next to skin
2-fleece layer
3-down insulation layer if its really cold
4-Windproof outer layer

I really like Sitka, Kuiu, and the other top layering systems. Its great stuff but that comes with a price.

Good wool socks and insulated boots for the feet.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/30/14 03:39 AM

Kuiu, Core4Element , Sitka, First Lite

All those in the proper layers
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/31/14 03:37 AM

My first 20 years I hunted in Wisconsin, I thought Kansas was warm??? JK, six or seven layers are common, 2 pairs of socks (wool) should do, and 4 layers for the legs! Hirogen was right on, the key to it all is wearing close to nothing while headed to the stand. It's not uncommon in Wisconsin to head out in long johns and a tee shirt when it's 20 out. You are walking and when you layer up at the bottom of the stand you will warm up quick. I sat all day with my bow (sun up till sun down) in a sleet storm during the peak of the rut, the side of my body that the wind was blowing at was frozen two hours into my sit (the outer layer) and actually stayed warmer than the other side of my body, saw tons of deer that day! But the climb down can get challenging you lose tons of coordination when you get cold, go slow! And have fun, deer move like crazy when it gets cold out, they need to stay warm too!
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: Best Cold Weather Clothing? - 08/31/14 10:30 AM

Quote:
Kuiu, Core4Element , Sitka, First Lite

All those in the proper layers

I have some of all 4 and they work great. Important to put some on in the stand or after you get where you are going. You don't want to break a sweat walking in. Layer up and dress down as needed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum