Texas Hunting Forum

Eating in the stand

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 01:52 AM

I usually don't. But was having a talk with a friend and he eats drinks coffee etcetera in the stand. What are y'all's thoughts? Treestand and ground blind. If you do eat what do you prefer?
Posted By: PhilR

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 02:14 AM

I bow hunt from ground blinds.

Nothing but water for me.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 02:33 AM

If you are planning on being in the stand for a while, you better have something. When I hunt in Kansas, I try to hunt all day. So I will pack in a lunch and a drink.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 02:40 AM

Sure if I remember to bring something to snack on I will. Big fan of sun flower seeds to pass the time but if know I will be awhile and think about it a samich is good!
Posted By: Topshot

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 02:54 AM

coffee, trail mix, sandwiches, water, etc
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 02:53 PM

Yep I bring snacks that don't crunch.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 03:16 PM

Water and snacks that don't crunch or wrapped in something that crunches. Have moved some that the packaging crunches to ziplock bags to avoid the crunch.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 04:29 PM

Not bow hunting never have or will I ever, now gun hunting is another situation. I have a heater, bring a cooler, I'm thinking of putting in color tv and a swimming pool. roflmao
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 04:54 PM

My bow stand is a ten minute walk from my front door so ill sit on the couch and drink coffee before I head out... will take a water in my backpack also... when I get hungry ill just sneak down and ease up to the house then head back down again
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 04:55 PM

the other spots arnt as easy... ill take sometype of protein bar with me

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 05:26 PM

Ya'll wouldn't make it on Naked and Afraid very long. banana
Posted By: TF Panther

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 05:27 PM

Some yrs ago when I smoked I would have to stub out my cigarette inorder to draw my bow and shoot deer. Being in a stand or blind with a more favorable wind is more important than what you are eating imo. No matter how much spray you put on if a deer is down wind behind your blind a ham sandwhich is the least of your problems. Kind of like thinking cover scents would fool a drug dog down wind of some narcotics. Nope.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski

I doubt anyone would want to watch most of us.

I usually take an energy bar and a water with me.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 07:36 PM

Apples and peanut butter. Fills you up and deer love the smell of both. My brother on the other hand is a totally different story... He stocks up with all kinds of food ranging from Subway sandwiches to fruit roll-ups. He is the luckiest man in the world though so that could have a lot to do with his hunting success. Seriously, went to New Orleans for a weekend trip and he won $1500 on the craps tables...
Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 07:40 PM

Cigar. that's my cover scent of choice. Deer don't seem to distinquish between brands

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 1riot1ranger
Cigar. that's my cover scent of choice. Deer don't seem to distinquish between brands

My deer don't seem to mind my dipping. How ya doing Bubba?
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 09:14 PM

Beef Jerky for me, and some water.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 09:44 PM

cheese crackers almost every time.

long hunts vianni sausage and cheese crackers
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 09:48 PM

If I was on that show I'd be naked and everyone else would be afraid!

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

If I was on that show I'd be naked and everyone else would be afraid!

scared Yikes!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 11:40 PM

I've eaten everything from beef jerky to chicken fried steak in the deer blind. I'm of the opinion that if you are sitting in a box blind, you can pretty much do what ever you want besides make noise. Now if you are in an open tree stand, that's a different story.
Posted By: VT Outfitter

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/04/14 11:51 PM

Apples and water, small candy bars when it gets into the 20's for temps. Nothing with a loud rapper.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/05/14 12:12 AM

I eat all the time, keep the wind to your face and enjoy a snack.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/05/14 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Water and snacks that don't crunch or wrapped in something that crunches. Have moved some that the packaging crunches to ziplock bags to avoid the crunch.

I broke out a granola bar once, my daughter gave me one of them "looks that kill" when I started opening the noisy wrapper. Then when I started to crunch on it she took it away and she was fuming for the rest of the hunt. I learned that quiet snacks keep peace in the blind, whether the deer care or not. Heck, and I though the deer would like the smell of granola, silly kid.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/05/14 01:12 PM

non crunch snacks... Nutigrain bar with top cut before hand. Generally I'm not in the stand all day. In the afternoon a drink is my primary concern, gatoraide with rapper removed and seal opened before hand is standard.

if i'm rifle hunting out of the box then i'd take w/e... you so much farther
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/05/14 05:27 PM

It really depends on where I am hunting on what I will take. I always keep sometime of protein bar in my pack along with a bottle of water.

No when Im in the Midwest, I will pack a light lunch and a few snacks to get me through the entire day sit. When Im in TX, usually I dont sit all day so my protien bar and water will sufice if needed but usually I will only drink a few drinks out of the water to keep from pissing all day.

If the night before was rough, then I will have a DP. If Im feeling frisky, I will put a 6 pack of Bud light in my pack. No ice needed in those situations, just drink em cowboy cold.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/05/14 07:29 PM

Only when sitting all day during pre-rut and rut periods. Other than that just some bottled water. Sometimes some canned water disguised as an adult beverage if I'm just bowhunting.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/05/14 11:38 PM

peanut butter crackers / H2O
Posted By: SCson

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/12/14 09:29 PM

BL and Vienna sausage
Posted By: AgTeacher2

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/13/14 04:15 AM

Anything that taste good and will fit in my pack.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/14/14 02:25 AM

Have done granola bars, jerky, and sandwiches, however, have also sat in July heat without water even. Will probably take only water with maybe granola this weekend on my axis hunt.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Eating in the stand - 08/14/14 02:07 PM

Sometimes it pays off to bring a snack or 2.
One year in Ks, I had planned on a all day sit, but didn't grab anything to eat. About 11:30, my breakfast wore off. My stomach kept tellin me there is a hot lunch waiting back at camp. So back to camp I go. Back in the stand around 1pm. Once I got settled in, I noticed something different 15 yds out in front of me. There were 3 trees just tore up. While I was gone, a buck came in and made 3 new rubs, just 15 yds from my stand. Don't know if it was a shooter or not, but the size and looks of those rubs, he would have been a new state record!!!! bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum