Texas Hunting Forum

Make or Break Question

Posted By: thewrap

Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 01:46 AM

So I maxed out my bow today, 60lbs. I feel really comfortable with it at that weight. It doesn't wear me down really quick or anything like that.
I leave for my Elk hunt on the 29th of this month so my question is should I go ahead and upgrade my bow to gain some ballistic performance or just stay with what I have. Another way to put it is would I have a significant gain by upgrading my bow?
It doesn't really worry me to upgrade now as I feel I would have plenty of time to get comfortable with a new bow. I usually get to spend atleast 2-3 hours at the range per week plus what I get to shoot at home which I feel would be an adequate amount of practice time to get ready for the hunt. Just something I've been throwing around so I wanted to get some feed back by some folks wiser than I.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 01:53 AM

Keep it as is, if you go to a 70 lb bow you will loose performance, until your are pulling 68+ lbs. Bows are more efficient when their draw weights are closer to max. On average a bow that is maxed at 60lbs will be 10fps slower then the same bow at 70 lbs when shooting a IBO weight arrow, so that 335 fps bow with a 350gr arrow at 70lbs will be 325 fps with a 300gr arrow at 60.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 01:54 AM

60lbs is enough. You are familiar with the current bow and how it shoots at different distances so stick with it. Choice of broad head is key. Choose a good broad head for elk and practice with it until you can draw and shoot without thinking at any effective range.
Posted By: thewrap

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 02:08 AM

Interesting information. I wasn't really aware of that.
And I'm gonna end up using G5's for my hunt.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 02:27 AM

That should do it. Now go out and practice, practice, practice at unknown distances until you can hit what you are aiming at without thinking.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 04:02 AM

I agree, keep it as is and stay with what you're comfortable with. 60# is plenty with your G5 broadhead. Just focus on shot placement and have confidence in your gear to do the rest.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/02/14 11:01 AM

All good advise, good luck on your hunt.
Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: Make or Break Question - 08/04/14 04:08 AM

Stick with your bow! There are plenty of large game animals taken with 50lb setups. So 60lbs is more than enough. Just make sure you have a good heavy arrow and broad head combo.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum