Texas Hunting Forum

New to bow hunting need some advice.

Posted By: JayF

New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/09/12 04:18 AM

Been hunting with rifles my whole life and I just recently decided to get into bow hunting. Bought the Martin Jaguar Mag compound at Academy on clearance for $99 after reading some good reviews about the bow. Bow is set to 29" draw and 63lbs. Need some advice on broadheads and arrows to use. Been looking at 100gr Thunderheads and Beman ICS Hunter 400s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Posted By: SSJR

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/09/12 04:27 AM

Congrats and welcome to the sport! 400;s should work depending on your arrow length.. Longer arroes need stiffer spine and shorter csn get by with lighter. Thunderheads are great heads. Be sure your bow is tuned and they should fly great..best advise i can give you is join a local archery club and practice a lot. Club members are great for helping you tune and work out any problems you may have.. where are you located?

Posted By: JayF

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/09/12 04:33 AM

Im in Houston. Went over to Viking Archery last week to get my bow set up. Really nice guys. Very helpful. I plan on putting in range time over there to get better.

Posted By: TF Panther

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/09/12 07:13 PM

Kill one deer with a bow and you will never look at your deer rifle the same way again. It is one thing to shoot a rifle at a deer at 120 yds. It is another thing entirely to go to full draw at a deer standing a 15 yds. It is truely a RUSH!

When it comes broadheads opinions will be all over the spectrum. You can search some past post on here. I have never had luck with fixed blades. Mechanicals fly better for me. I shoot Grim Reapers currently. Congrats on your Bow!

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/09/12 10:22 PM

Arrows and broadheads are both good.

Posted By: rackbow

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/10/12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TF Panther
Kill one deer with a bow and you will never look at your deer rifle the same way again. It is one thing to shoot a rifle at a deer at 120 yds. It is another thing entirely to go to full draw at a deer standing a 15 yds. It is truely a RUSH!
Congrats on your Bow!

that about says it all. I haven't hunted with a rifle in 3 years.

Posted By: treeclimbe_86

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/10/12 04:23 PM

My first setup up was a Martin Jaguar, it was a great starter bow. Start slinging some arrows youll love it!

Posted By: SSJR

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/10/12 09:06 PM

If your in Viking Archery look for Scott Whiteford. Its his shop.. Tell him Steve Seals from Mckinney said hey.. he did all my work when he was in Garland..

Posted By: OIFbowhunter

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/12/12 03:21 PM

Bow hunting is more challenging and that makes it worth while.

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/12/12 05:16 PM

Welcome to the Brotherhood!

Posted By: Billbreaker

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/13/12 01:59 AM

Welcome! The best advice I can give is to go to bass pro or cabelas. They have an inside range and will let you try out different broadheads/ arrows to find out what you like best.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: New to bow hunting need some advice. - 01/13/12 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JayF
Been hunting with rifles my whole life and I just recently decided to get into bow hunting. Bought the Martin Jaguar Mag compound at Academy on clearance for $99 after reading some good reviews about the bow. Bow is set to 29" draw and 63lbs. Need some advice on broadheads and arrows to use. Been looking at 100gr Thunderheads and Beman ICS Hunter 400s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Good combination; I wouldn't change a thing. The more you shoot and the better you get you might want to make some changes, but that is something completely up to you. What you have will kill anything in North America.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum