Texas Hunting Forum

drew first blood with new bow, but.....

Posted By: bigjoe8565

drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/12/11 05:24 AM

I had some monster pigs hit my feeder tonight and was able to get a shot off on one of them. I hit the pig, but never could find him.

I'm uploading two pictures of my arrow and would like some feedback from you guys on where I possibly hit the pig. The arrow passed through the hog and I heard him stop take a number of very deep, loud breaths and grunt for about 5 minutes and then he stopped.

The hog was quartering towards me and I aimed right behind his shoulder. I had to rush my shot a bit becasue I was on the ground with two more hogs coming in behind me and I was about to get winded.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Joe

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/12/11 03:05 PM

Pigs have a relatively small area that I consider a kills shot, too high you miss all the vitals and simply pierce them. Most of the time they recover; I’ve seen big pigs killed that had four broad heads in them.
If I have the opportunity I like to peg them under and a little behind the ear; drops them in their tracks; however that is a pretty hard shot as most of the time they are bobbing their heads but makes for a fun shot.

Posted By: NVC--

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/12/11 06:11 PM

Dont think it was a kill shot....or an immediate one anyways. Beforr lastnight i would have thought you made a good shoot until i found this link in the hog section.....

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/12/11 06:20 PM

Thanks how it is with pigs, I've shot them and thought it was a good shot and lost them, and I've had them drop dead in their tracks.. I'd rather lose a good pig any day than a deer..

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/12/11 06:55 PM

I've been out twice with my bow and the was the first shot I've taken. I have to admit it was quite a rush being that close and on the ground hunting pigs. Not sure if I killed the pig, but I don't feel that it was a bad shot and I'd take it again in the same situation. I've found my next addiction.

Joe

Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/13/11 04:56 PM

Quartering to shot on a pig is tough...

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/13/11 06:57 PM

Agreed 100% that it's not the best shot to take. Hopefully I'll get another chance this coming Friday to shot another one.

Joe

Posted By: bigtex46

Re: drew first blood with new bow, but..... - 11/16/11 03:35 PM

I generally try to gut shoot them so they will run away from my feeder and I wont have to drag them off. Also the arrow almost always passes through so I dont ruin all my arrows shooting the stinking things

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum