Texas Hunting Forum

Crossbow Problem

Posted By: jneutrontx

Crossbow Problem - 11/01/11 11:15 PM

Okay so I was practicing shooting my crossbow and I cocked it with the rope cocker and tried to shoot a bolt and it wouldn't fire. So now I need to figure out how to release the string without messing up the bow. Anybody ever have this problem?

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Crossbow Problem - 11/01/11 11:26 PM

What to do probably depends on the manufacturer and design of your crossbow. If you can't take the pressure off with the rope cocker and maybe with help of a friend release it from trigger or release the trigger, try contacting the manufcturer of your crossbow with the question.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Crossbow Problem - 11/02/11 11:57 AM

I bought a crossbow for my boys a couple of weeks ago. I have seen this problem. Theirs is a wicked ridge invader.

When this happens with my boys x-bow, it is because it was cocked with the safety ON. My boys x-bow needs to be cocked with the safety OFF. The cocking turns the safety on on ours.

The way I fixed it (it has happend more than once), was to put a little tension on the sting with the cocking ropes. Switch the safety OFF, then continue to [censored] it. [censored] it a little further than you think it needs to be cocked to make sure it is fully cocked.

Man I haven't used the word [censored] that much in my life.

One other thing it could be, but less likely, is that the bolt isn't all the way back. Ours has a anti-dry fire safety that won't let it fire if the bolt isn't all the way back. Make sure the bolt is inserted all the way.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Crossbow Problem - 11/02/11 02:31 PM

Stinkbelly is right. Either the string isnt cocked completly. Try again with the cocking rope or the bolt isn't seated well enough. Had both happen with my wifes Barnette.

Posted By: jneutrontx

Re: Crossbow Problem - 11/02/11 06:48 PM

Thanks Stinkbelly. Apparently I cocked it with the safety engaged and it didn't fully engage. After pulling the string back with the rope cocker I heard the "click" of the string at full draw loaded and arrow and it fired like a charm. Saved me some money at Gander Moutnain for sure. Thanks again.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum