Texas Hunting Forum

String ducking/jumping

Posted By: wetline89

String ducking/jumping - 09/22/11 03:50 PM

I was curious how everyone else likes to sight their bows in for those longer 40-50 yard shots. Do you assume that the deer is going to duck and have your bow shooting low? For example, you aim at the upper dot on your target but your arrow is striking the center dot of the target, thus mimicking a deer ducking. We're about a week away and I would like to hear some opinions on this matter. Thanks!

Posted By: GLC

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/22/11 04:21 PM

I put my arrows where I aim. 40 yard shot - deer relaxed I aim for the lower 1/3 quadrant on kill zone, deer on alert wont take a 40 but on a 30 I will aim for the bottom of rib cage. I have had too many duck my arrows.

Posted By: scot

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/22/11 05:46 PM

Thought thats why I needed a speed bow so they don't have time to duck...

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/22/11 06:09 PM

I've never had one duck or jump the string and I've been hunting longer than most of you have been alive. I'm not saying they don't, I'm just saying make your bow quiet!!

Posted By: scot

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/22/11 08:49 PM

Any bow would be quiet shooting those telephone polls you run. I just don't like holding 3 feet high at 10 yards to make a shot.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/22/11 09:00 PM

I hold dead on to where I want to shoot....

Posted By: GLC

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/23/11 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
I've never had one duck or jump the string and I've been hunting longer than most of you have been alive. I'm not saying they don't, I'm just saying make your bow quiet!!

Wow, so that would make you about seventy and I thought I was old.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/23/11 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: scot
Any bow would be quiet shooting those telephone polls you run. I just don't like holding 3 feet high at 10 yards to make a shot.

I'm shooting a little lighter this year, 480 total arrow weight I'm shooting shorter and lighter arrows this year. Last year I was shooting 548 Gn's.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: String ducking/jumping - 09/23/11 02:52 AM

A couple years ago I video'd a couple hunts. One succesful, one that got away and was later rifle'zd. Both shots less than 15 yards with the deer in a calm feeding postion. One ducked and one didn't. Probably ducked about 10". Pretty neat to see in slow motion.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum