Texas Hunting Forum

Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle

Posted By: redraider99

Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 10:48 AM

I am thinking about getting a new rifle in a year and wanted to start doing some research. What are y'alls thoughts on the .243? Is it worth getting for deer hunting. I aready have a 7mag and was wanting something with less recoil. I am having a child soon and thought maybe later in life they could use it. Is the recoil alot less than the .270 or should I just go ahead and get a .270?

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 11:04 AM

If all you are ever going to hunt is whitetails and feral hogs here in Texas than the 243 is more than adequate out to 300 yards for those animals. Depending on what brand you buy and the weight of the gun with scope, the recoil will be less than with a 270.

Now for some of the other aspects. I am going to assume that by 7mm., you are referring to a 7mm Rem. Mag.. If that is the case then the 243 would be a good compliment to that gun. The 243 will be good for deer, hogs, coyotes, and pronghorn, if you decide to go to another state. The 7mm will cover you for elk and above, or as a little longer range gun for the game you would use the 243 for. With some of the new managed recoil cartridges around, moving a youth from the 243 to the 7 Mag won't be that difficult. JMO.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 12:02 PM

I really like the Remington 243 auto-loader. Low recoil + low noise + accurate = fun to shoot.

Posted By: Rowney

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 12:16 PM

243 will be great, if you happen to handload, get a 6mm remington though. I have at one time or another had a 243, 25-06, 270, 7 Wsm, and a 308. The 243 will kill a whitetail just as dead as the others, and kicks a lot less if compared to the same weight gun. I got rid of mine b/c I liked the 25-06 better though. JMO

Posted By: Greg

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 12:51 PM

Check out this link...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

it will show you the recoil of almost every caliber and you can get a good feel for what gun will do what to your sholder. ( you will see the 270 will kick more than 2 times as hard as the 243.)

Click on this link to see the knockdown power or energy of the different rounds.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table.htm

It should help you out with which caliber would do the trick compaired to others you have shot and been happy with.

Hope it helps!

-Greg

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 12:53 PM

Thanks for the links, but I will have to look at them at another time. My school's filter has it blocked.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 12:54 PM

The 243 is the absolute bare minimum for whitetails in my opinion. Although i took my largest buck ever with a 243 ( short story is i wasn't hunting whitetails at the time, i carry it for coyotes ), it's not a caliber i would recommend. If recoil is a problem, i would suggest using something in the low recoil range like a 7mm-08 or a 308. I prefer something that's capable of delivering at least 2000 ft-lbs at 100 yards. Have you looked at the 260?

Posted By: Rowney

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 02:26 PM

Quote:

The 243 is the absolute bare minimum for whitetails in my opinion. Although i took my largest buck ever with a 243 ( short story is i wasn't hunting whitetails at the time, i carry it for coyotes ), it's not a caliber i would recommend. If recoil is a problem, i would suggest using something in the low recoil range like a 7mm-08 or a 308. I prefer something that's capable of delivering at least 2000 ft-lbs at 100 yards. Have you looked at the 260?

I would agree with that, maybe even a 257 roberts or 7x57 would be great as well.

I think that the 243 is one of those cartridges that is extremely popular, but has many choices out there that can do what it does better in almost the same package. Comparitively, the 270 IMO is as good as it was in the 30's and nothing has come out that will do what it does without increasing the recoil substantially.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 02:50 PM

I SAY 243 WOULD BE GREAT AND JUST FOR THE INFORMATION, JUST YESTERDAY I HAD A GUNSMITH AND COMPETETION SHOOTER SAY IF HE WAS GONNA BUY A GUN OFF THE SHELF HE WOULD BUY A SAVAGE.

Posted By: cj7zrcool

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 05:05 PM

IMO a 25.06 would be a much better choice.

Posted By: DCS

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 05:17 PM

I agree with HWY_MAN the 243 works, but would be the bare minimum that I would use. My wife and I both shoot Browning A-Bolts chambered in 308. Low recoil, excellent accuracy, fairly light weight and you can get a large varity of ammo just about anywhere. We have harvested 3 or 4 whitetail a year for the last 10 years with them. Our normal shot would normaly be around 65 yards or so. If I hunt the "canyon blind" as we call it, I'll use my 270. That shot is around 150 to 200 yards.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 05:42 PM

I will have to look into the 25.06. My main reason is I want a rifle that I can shoot with and not kill my shoulder and a gun that a young hunter can work into. Looks lke I have alot of thinking and shopping to do. That is why I am starting out a year inadvance. I just wish there was a gun shop that would let you shoot diferent rifles, to help you in the decision process.

Posted By: JaredM

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 05:58 PM

I would definitly look into the 25-06 or the 308. The 270 wouldn't be hard to handle since you shoot the 7mm. However, for the up and comer, I would look at the 25 or the 308.

Posted By: txbrian

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 08:31 PM

I would vote for a 308.

I have the admit i am bias against the 243. Up north it's not even legal to hunt deer with in most states. Down here, in my very unscienctific survey, the two hunters on my lease with 243's have lost more deer then the rest combined. And before you all gripe at me about shot placement I will agree that you put a shot in the wrong spot you dont get a clean kill, however the 243 is a wimp in my opinion. 308 get's the job done and the recoil is more then manageable.

Just my $0.02's

Posted By: wileyporker

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/23/06 08:48 PM

The first deer I ever killed was with a Savage model 99 lever action chambered in .243. I was young and I shot it a bit too far back. My brother finished it off with a head shot from a .30-06. After that deer, I purchased my very own Remington 700 mountain rifle in .280 Rem. In my opinion, take a look at the Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 12:33 AM

i got a savage lever action 243 model 99f

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 12:52 AM

Just being nosy here, but what states do not allow the 243 for deer hunting? Most states I have checked with, the 243 is the minimum caliber allowed for deer.

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 01:02 AM

The 243 with a good premium 100 grain bullet is a great deer cartridge. I have killed dozens of deer with my Remington 700 ADL and now my little boy is shooting it. I bought a 7mm-08 3 years ago for 12 year old daughter and she and I fight for it. I HIGHLY recommend the little 7-08. It is pleasant to shoot and does a number on the panhandle muleys and whitetails.

Posted By: BigGuy

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 01:54 AM

I'd vote for the 7mm-08. I've had one for 10 years or so and it's what I use for 90% of my deer/hog hunting. It kicks a little more than the 243 (both are based on the 308 but has a 40 grain heavier bullet) but not so much you would notice the difference. If you do go for the 243, use good bullets. Federal loads a 100 gr Partition and an 85 gr Barnes bullet. Either one would do great.

If you don't buy one this year, another thought is the reduced recoil loads. Remington says theirs has less than half the kick of a normal 7mm mag. I believe Federal also makes something similar.

Posted By: BuckMark

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 11:35 AM

Are 7mm-08 rifles and ammo hard to come by? I don't think I have ever seen one....though I have not been looking for them

Posted By: daveblank

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 07:57 PM

When I finally purchased my own rifle I was trying to decide between .243 &.270. I had been using my brother-in-laws .243 for a long time. That's what I really wanted but couldn't find one at the time. I bought the .270 & am extremely satisfied. Now I'm looking for a .243 since that's what I originally wanted.

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/24/06 08:05 PM

Quote:

Are 7mm-08 rifles and ammo hard to come by? I don't think I have ever seen one....though I have not been looking for them

If they are it's because that region is not aware of the effectiveness of the 7mm08. I think that it's highly under-rated.

As far as the .243 - I can't think of any reason for not wanting one. It's a great gun. If you're torn between it and another caliber, it all depends on what you intend to do with it. That's all, imo.

Posted By: wileyporker

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 12:38 AM

Quote:

Nearly all my rifles are chambered for ammo that is hard to come by in my hometown. I have to go out of town to find 338, 280, 220 Swift, 45-70, and 6.5 swedish. 223 and 22LR are quite easy to come by. I guess that's the drawback in wanting to be different.

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 02:30 AM

The 243 is an excellent deer rifle and that is what I would recommend, especially if you already have a 7mag. I have taken a lot of deer with a 243 and all have been 1 shot kills, the longest being 307 yards on a huge whitetail buck in Arkansas. Just use a good 100 grain bullet and you won't have any problems. Recoil is very mild and 243's are a joy to shoot!!

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 03:50 AM

Well I recall that Wisconsin used to not allow it. However in the rifle counties I now see it's any centerfire 22 cal and over in Wisconsin. I was told by my uncle growing up that it was not legal in most states.

Upon doing my own research it appears thats no longer the case.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 09:52 AM

Not trying to get anything stirred up, and this isn't directed at you Brian, but personnally I would like to see all states go with the 243 as the minimum caliber allowed for deer and larger animals.

And just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I wouldn't have all the 243's a person could stack in the bed of my pick up if they were giving them away. Just My Opinion.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 12:40 PM

Quote:

And just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I wouldn't have all the 243's a person could stack in the bed of my pick up if they were giving them away. Just My Opinion.

Don't sugar coat it CHC, tell it like it is.

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 01:01 PM

Quote:

...but give them to Big Orn, instead...

But, heck, I drive a Ford...

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 01:04 PM

Quote:

Not trying to get anything stirred up, and this isn't directed at you Brian, but personnally I would like to see all states go with the 243 as the minimum caliber allowed for deer and larger animals.

I could not agree more. I just do no like 243's at all.

Posted By: jbhlsu

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 01:32 PM

I grew up on the .243..I have knocked more deer dead with this caliber than my 30-06 and 7 mag...Its a hot bullet and very very fast, but in Texas growing up on hill country deer and east tx, you really dont need a huge caliber...Know if I go to Miss. or LA or even South Texas I will bring my 7 mag, but thats my opinion. What it boils down to IMO is being confident with any weapon you use...223 .243 7mag or bow and arrow..find one that is comfortable to you and only you!...This is one of those topics that will get the pot boiling...but I just believe it about being comfortable and confident!! Good luck hunting!! I RATHER USE A BOW!!!

Posted By: Deer Slayer

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 04:40 PM

The .308 is probably your best option here. I'm not saying I don't like the 7mm-08. It is virtually almost an identical round to the .308 when you hold them side by side, but the selection of ammo for it would be the drawback. Why not make that small step up to a .30 caliber and always be assured you will have a vast and affordable selection of ammunition. As for the .243, it is a very popular gun for whitetail hunting in Texas. I would be willing to bet it is the most popular gun purchased for hunters under the age of 18 to begin their hunting careers. Naturally, down the road as the the hunter matures, they or a relative will make the upgrade to a larger caliber to meet their hunting needs. JMO

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 05:06 PM

I think a 243 will make an alright deer gun, but there are better options out there, depending on when you try to start out your kids, a 270 will be too big, and posibly a 243, if they are scared to shoot it, my cousin was, but his dady made him, and now he is a miserable shot forever. I think it would probably be better to just wait till the kid is ready and then get them a gun.

matt

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/25/06 07:48 PM

I like my little .243... I have a .45-70, .300Winmag, badAZZ slug gun, and have had 7mm's, .25-06's and .30-06's. The little .243 is a fun shooter and kills everything I've gone after. For pigs I'm not comfortable with anything but an ear shot or a quartering away, semi-close shot. Mainly that's because I haven't personally seen any 'eye-opening' performances on game-coyotes being the exception!

For pig hunting I love my .45-70! I don't worry about 'em getting back up unless I just winged 'em to begin with. In fact I've seen the 7mm and .300mag rounds fail miserably to stop pigs in the conditions I seem to hunt in most-close range, brush, less than ideal shot angles or pigs that just can't stand still! Of course, that's a whole 'nother conversation more concerned with high speed bullet performance, etc. ...

I guess it boils down to a couple things.. What type of terrain I'm hunting in combined with what critter, and whether I'm in a 'finesse' type mood (wait for the perfect shot) or 'go out there and stack 'em up' type mood!

I DON'T however think that the .243 is limited only to kids and women and little deer! I've seen some bruiser Pennsylvania deer that just couldn't stand the .243, and that's shooting for the vitals, not the spine.

My last thought is that I've been hearing some good things about the Barnes TSX in the .243. Supposedly turns it into a MUCH better gamestopper than it is now.. I'll let you know!

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/26/06 10:53 PM

7mm-08 is a great way to go. I found one last year, a Rem 700 LVSF special run that I topped off with a Zeis 3x9x50. Its a shooter. THEN, I ran across a deal I just couldn't turn down; a Custom rifle in 7mm-08 built on Remington 700. Its a shooter...I reload, so ammo is not hard to come by.

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/26/06 11:38 PM

Yep, here's another vote for the 7-08. The Rem mod 7 with its short barrel is handy in a deer stand and in the pick-up, too. I like handloading the Speer 130 BTSP to 3000 fps. This round is simply a necked-up .243 (or a necked-down .308) and is perfectly suited for our Texas whitetails IMO. Recoil is manageable for both the child and the distaff. It will be with me in my stand opening morning. Dave

Posted By: SplitTimeHunter

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/27/06 12:01 AM

The .243 is a fine caliber for the deer that we hunt here in Texas, as long your shot placement is good. A bad shot could equal trouble.

Posted By: Wild Boar

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/27/06 03:31 AM

"""" I would like to see all states go with the 243 as the minimum caliber allowed for deer and larger animals"""""". And I would like to see all states go with the 30 caliber as the largest caliber allowed for deer. I cant believe that you want more rules on what you can and cant hunt with.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 10/27/06 02:54 PM

Take it up with someone that gives a crap!!!!!!!!

Posted By: ThaDude

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/22/06 01:00 AM

I think that any caliber(rim or center)should be legal in the deer stand. When it comes down to it, the hunter should have enough knowledge on whether or not they are able to make the shot!!!

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/22/06 11:22 AM

I say the answer to this dilema is to buy em all! all are great calibers and i have two 243.rifles and love em both.

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/22/06 12:17 PM

The 25.06 is a good cal. I shoot one and my 11 year old shot his first deer with it this year. But I am still going to buy him a .243 for x-mas.

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/22/06 02:49 PM

!

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/22/06 11:08 PM

It's great!!!! Big caliber results with small caliber recoil, need I say more. I'll always own atleast one .243 cal. rifle while I'm still hunting.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 05:36 PM

That would be good in theory, but in actual situations it doesn't, simply because not everyone out there hunting has the same amount of knowledge or experience. Do you really think a 22 rimfire is an adequate deer round at 75 to 100 yards? How quick would you be to want to try and take an elk out at normal hunting ranges with a 224 caliber centerfire? Not all hunters have common sense, and there is NO I.Q. test given when someone buys a hunting license.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 05:41 PM

Hey, you are proving my point for me. A knowledgable hunter would not pull the trigger in those situations.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 05:42 PM

We as hunters have to take some responsibility, don't you think?

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 05:46 PM

Or are you saying that if you see what animal you are hunting that day, you'll automaticly take the shot without assessing your personal situation?

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 05:48 PM

Yes, we should take responsibility for our actions, but it would probably amaze you, and a lot of other folks out there, as to the amount of folks that don't embrace hunting and all of its aspects as those of us on here do. That is why such laws as minimum caliber or bow draw weights are in place. Just because a person owns a gun/bow and buys a license, does not mean they are a hunter.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 05:52 PM

I understand what you are saying now, and I would have to say that I agree. By the way MERRRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 06:12 PM

From Lora(campcook) and myself, to you and yours, Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 06:21 PM

Having at one time or another owned one of each of the calibers metioned above, with exception to the 7mm-08. I would have to add the following. Who is going to use the weapon, and how experienced are they?

I currently use either a .257 Roberts o/u or a M77 .243. But my better half uses a 700 BDL bull barrel in .308, simply for the reason she is not as accurate in her shot placement.

Of course the 25-06 is an excellent round as well.

Get online and do some ballistics comparisons, this will come in handy if you hand load as well. Good luck

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 06:28 PM

Quote:

BOY NOW THATS WHAT WE NEED MORE RULES. IF YOU ARE NOT A VERY GOOD SHOT I CAN UNDERSTAND SOMEONE WANTING THAT RULE. IVE GOT EVERYTHING FROM A .223 TO A 30-06 AND CAN KILL ANYTHING IN TEXAS WITH THEM ALL IF I USE COMMON SENSE WHEN I PULL THE TRIGGER. UNFORTUNATLY ITS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO BE STUPID.

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/24/06 11:27 PM

I think you are right on target (please pardon the punn) with this subject. You know anytime a person gets into government restrictions, it's going to be a hot topic and I'm just glad we live in a country where we are free to talk about it !!!!

Posted By: Canazes9

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/25/06 02:08 AM

Back to the original discussion, I don't think much of the .243 for deer hunting, esp. if using a typical chest shot. My son has shot two deer w/ his Ruger .243 youth model (yes, giving up some velocity) that were text book perfect chest shots, both lungs, one got the top of the heart, etc. Both deer ran in XS of 100 yards before expiring, neither had any blood trail for well over 50 yards. I know it's limited data but I've never had a deer shot w/ my 7-08 or 30-06 travel more than 10 yards (in fact all dropped on the spot except the 200 pound Alabama buck that went about 10 yards after being shot w/ the 7-08).

The folks that are recomending the 7-08 are leaving something important out of the discussion. The 7-08 was developed after the modern rifle design standards came out (1964?) and as such, the factory loads available are loaded a little hotter than any pre-'64(?) designed cartridge cause they don't have to worry about any pre-standard rifles floating around. The 7-08 will deliver ballistic performance on par w/ a .270 w/ less recoil and in a shorter package. My 11 year old son can shoot my Remington model 7 in 7-08 (we tried it out after tracking his last deer) w/ little problems. Next year, he'll be using that rifle for his deer hunting...

David

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/25/06 03:55 AM

Colorado and some other states have caliber/bullet weight/energy restrictions in place, and I don't hear anyone griping about them. When I say the 243 should be the minimum, that includes the 243. I just personnally do not like the round, but I also do not like the 270 or the 30-06. But in the hands of most folks, the 243 is in my opinion the minimum that should be used on deer.

Posted By: clarkfork

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/25/06 04:42 AM

My three brothers and I grew up in western Montana and between the 5 of us (counting my dad) took more than a few very nice bucks (whitetail and muley) with rifles chambered in .243 Win., shooting 100 gr factory Rem. Core-lokts. I don't recall any of us losing a buck or having any other problem regarding the .243 - seemed plenty adequate to us for those Montana deer that were wayyyyyyy bigger than most TX deer. Did we have other rifles to choose from........, heck yah, we primarily hunted elk, bear, and moose. Not saying the .243 was the only caliber we used for deer (between us, we still have or had pretty much everything from .243s to .338 mags), I'm thinking I'd still feel fine carrying one of my .243s while deer hunting here in Texas, especially with all the premium ammo available these days. However, when I go back home to hunt deer in Montana, I always take a larger caliber now that I'm older and wiser!

Posted By: HunterTed

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/28/06 06:28 AM

Quote:

I am thinking about getting a new rifle in a year and wanted to start doing some research. What are y'alls thoughts on the .243?

Don't like em, never have never will..........bad experience with one years ago I cannot seem to get over. My wife shoots one and she loves it. Personally i would like to sneak the darn thing out of the house and trade it for something different, but that would probably end in divorce.........

Posted By: crazyal

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/28/06 01:27 PM

I shoot my 7-08 for just about everything now a days but my 1st two deer were with 22hornet then my dad got me my model 7 243 I shot a couple of deer with it and one or 2 other 243's never had one run. I have even seen my father in law make 2 unexplainably terrible shots with his 243 using Rem 100grns and we found those deer maybe 50 yds from where they were shot. I know this is going to on forever. Just find something that you think would be comfortable for the kid as far as size/weight and then let him shoot until both of you are comfortable with and confident in the shooting skills and go nail something with it. If ya'll are both confident enough I like the shot right in the white spot on the throat That is how I killed my second deer with that 22 hornet. Also if you break those shoulders they aren't going far. I think the biggest thing to get over is that minute when you are getting on target and starting to squeeze and the FEVER has you. What a rush!!! I need to go kill something.

Posted By: clarkfork

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/28/06 02:08 PM

What a rush!!! I need to go kill something.

Nice post only to be wrecked by the last line......, jeez man, antis are all over these types of comments - think before you type.

Posted By: Deer Slayer

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/28/06 03:42 PM

The .243 is a very effective deer cartridge regardless of whatever it's doubters have to say about it.

Posted By: John2

Re: Thoughts on .243 cal. rifle - 12/28/06 04:26 PM

Interesting topic and i as most don't have one and never will but a 243 at closer ranges should be good for Texas deer but if it was me i would look for a little larger caliber.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum