Texas Hunting Forum

OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!!

Posted By: Buzzsaw

OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 04:41 PM

This is ya'lls fault. "Your" next rifle is a TIKKA TX3, .223. I've been looking for a rifle with just the right features and I found this one. Its a TIKKA exclusive.

1-8 Twist
Large bolt Knob
Threaded for suppressor.
looks good (to me anyway) I didn't want "black"
NOT heavy 6.5#

Fiest thing I will need a trigger. The factory is nice but it's at 2.5#. SO, rather than try and adjust it I will replace it. What triggers are you precision TIKA guys using! I can only find the Timney 2 stage which looks pretty good. The Bix N Andy is $555 uh, no.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judd

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 05:07 PM

rofl Someone is eating a big donkey plate of crow...

Get an Ernie Spring kit and you don't need a new trigger. That's one of the reasons why the cult is so strong.

You're buying Tikka's and I bought another Zermatt action this morning...we both needed these like we needed another hole in our heads. rofl
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 05:18 PM

I'd adjust it first since it takes about 2 minutes. You might like it. And what model is that? I like that a lot.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
I'd adjust it first since it takes about 2 minutes. You might like it. And what model is that? I like that a lot.

Looks like a Veil Alpine

https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/TFTT1137A5709B0MB
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 05:38 PM

Buzz,

that is not a benchrest rifle, 2.5# is a good weight for a field gun.

Go shoot that thing and wear it out.

Congratulations, nice looking rifle. up
Posted By: scot

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 05:51 PM

This is the Lite model correct?

I was looking hard at a 300wsm model but wish they were made with 1 in 10 barrels.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 06:30 PM

Adjust the trigger and if it’s not enough get the spring. I shoot a TT Diamond and wouldn’t put one in a Tikka.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 06:41 PM

I don't know anyone that owns a Tikka that has replaced, or modified the trigger in any way. It's at 2.5, and you have not adjusted it? I've got three, and all are adjusted to the lightest setting. They hunt well.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
This is ya'lls fault. "Your" next rifle is a TIKKA TX3, .223. I've been looking for a rifle with just the right features and I found this one. Its a TIKKA exclusive.

1-8 Twist
Large bolt Knob
Threaded for suppressor.
looks good (to me anyway) I didn't want "black"
NOT heavy 6.5#

Fiest thing I will need a trigger. The factory is nice but it's at 2.5#. SO, rather than try and adjust it I will replace it. What triggers are you precision TIKA guys using! I can only find the Timney 2 stage which looks pretty good. The Bix N Andy is $555 uh, no.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice! Did you order that or find it locally?

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 07:31 PM

T3X , not the Lite. Barrel contour is a little heavier.

Tungsten Cerakote, proprietary stock color. I wanted the Veil colors, but neither are offered in a .223.

I saw the trigger spring, Mountain Tactical.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Get an Ernie Spring kit and you don't need a new trigger. That's one of the reasons why the cult is so strong.

You're buying Tikka's and I bought another Zermatt action this morning...we both needed these like we needed another hole in our heads. rofl

.22 Creed ?
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 07:35 PM

I've got the exact same rifle in 6.5 PRC. Need to get it to the range but been busy with roofs all summer.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 07:57 PM

I tend to agree with the above don’t replace the triggers just get a new spring and it will go lighter than you probably want.
Posted By: TAB

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 08:16 PM

sick
popcorn

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 08:27 PM

.22 Creed ?

Naw, this was a mag bolt face with a wyatts cut...I've been having some feeding issues with putting 2 in the bdl of my 6.5 saum so I will likely swap the actions out and it should fix that issue. Then I can use the current SR3 for about anything 308 bolt face. I sold my 22 Gaymoor barrel so I need to spin up (I know you love that term LOL!) another. I have a proof lightweight stock...trying to decide if I use a Zermatt or I save 10 oz and go to an Anti. If I use the Anti I'll have to rebed the stock but I think I can get under 8lbs including scope and suppressor. The easy button is a Zermatt and keep the current bedding.
Posted By: freerange

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 08:44 PM

Y’all make a normal guy feel all left out with all that special lingo and shorthand stuff……
up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 09:39 PM

Tungsten Cerakote, proprietary stock color. I wanted the Veil colors, but neither are offered in a .223.

get their rail while your at it. Or go with unknown munitions rings
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 09:51 PM

I would have thought you had enough coin for a Sako banana

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You want their rail. It has a boss that fits into the front hole. I got it for my 7mm Rem. Mag., Tikka Roughtech.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 09:58 PM

As one of the earliest cult followers, I'd like to say "welcome, took you long enough." hahaha. Our 223 varmint is one of our favorite rifles. truly 0.5-.075moa under handloads.

Agreed that one of the best features to tikkas are the triggers. I have 3 variations of tikkas and one has a spring. I can't even say that I feel it's necessary, especially for our plain deer rifle.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
As one of the earliest cult followers, I'd like to say "welcome, took you long enough." hahaha. Our 223 varmint is one of our favorite rifles. truly 0.5-.075moa under handloads.

Agreed that one of the best features to tikkas are the triggers. I have 3 variations of tikkas and one has a spring. I can't even say that I feel it's necessary, especially for our plain deer rifle.

All of mine (3X) shoot that well or better with factory Hornady ammo.
Posted By: Longhorn74

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 10:23 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My tikka T3 is a 30-06, with an old school Redfield fixed power 4x attached. This thing is nothing, but a tack driver at the range last week.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 10:47 PM

Welcome to the Cult, leave the trigger alone. Love my Tikka.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 11:03 PM

[Linked Image]
My oldest Tikka, had it 7 years. Shot this group at the lease last year. That's three shots, first one from 100, second shot from 200 after dialing CDS to 200 in the same hole (top). Went back to the 200 yard line and missed, a little low.
It's not a cult, more like a not so secret, secret society. If you want in, you have to lay in a coffin with your rifle surrounded by current members and speak of every missed shot on game you ever had prior to owning a Tikka.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/09/23 11:29 PM

#1 Congratulations
#2 You need to scope it with a Vortex
#3 You suck if you can’t shoot it with 2.5 lb trigger. Tikkas have great triggers.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You want their rail. It has a boss that fits into the front hole. I got it for my 7mm Rem. Mag., Tikka Roughtech.

I have the rail but if someone wanted to save weight best option is Unknown with multiple recoil lugs

https://www.unknownmunitions.com/product/um-tikka-rings/
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 12:59 AM

I’m not gonna say my Tikka 6.5 CM is the most accurate out of the box rifle I’ve ever owned, but I will leave this three shot group @ 100 right here:

[Linked Image]

Ammo was Chad’s 143 grain ELD-X.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Adchunts
I’m not gonna say my Tikka 6.5 CM is the most accurate out of the box rifle I’ve ever owned, but I will leave this three shot group @ 100 right here:

[Linked Image]

Ammo was Chad’s 143 grain ELD-X.

Very similar to my first Tikka putting down 3

[Linked Image]

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 01:57 AM

got it scoped up will shoot it next week

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 02:02 AM

Nice one sir
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 05:53 AM

This is not the Eotech we discussed. Please make that a priority, thank you.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 09:28 AM

Very nice!
I personally wouldn't worry about the trigger. I have an old T3 Lite and a newer T3X, and the trigger on both are awesome for hunting guns. You won't be disappointed.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 05:33 PM

3-shot groups are cute. This is 5.

[Linked Image]

And for those saying, 'Well you got lucky' here's another:

[Linked Image]

And another for good measure:

[Linked Image]

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
3-shot groups are cute. This is 5.

[Linked Image]

And for those saying, 'Well you got lucky' here's another:

[Linked Image]

And another for good measure:

[Linked Image]

hope mine shoots half that good!!
Posted By: P_102

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 05:40 PM

Awful big groups for 20 yards! bolt

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/10/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by P_102
Awful big groups for 20 yards! bolt

Hey, it was 30!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/11/23 12:08 PM

Really Nice gun Buzz! Congrats!

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/11/23 02:13 PM

Hey Bobby, Thanks!

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/11/23 04:06 PM

Yawn…3’s / 5’s are so last year now it’s 20 shot group’s per statisticians.
Kidding of course nice shooting all !

[Linked Image]

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/13/23 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud

[Linked Image]

Big spender!!!

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/13/23 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by DStroud

[Linked Image]

Big spender!!!

Exactly. With 7 the years of history I have on this rifle I'll save my ammo for some one shot groups on game. I get bored shooting paper pretty quick.
Posted By: bholt

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 03:47 PM

Well your only halfway there. You got the Tikka but not in the "Billy Whizbang" 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. That Sir would certainly qualify you for full blown cult hood and be a kool-aid drinker like the rest of us. up up

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by bholt
Well your only halfway there. You got the Tikka but not in the "Billy Whizbang" 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. That Sir would certainly qualify you for full blown cult hood and be a kool-aid drinker like the rest of us. up up

Not so fast. One word: Vortex. Then you've got the trifecta.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 04:11 PM

...Bix N Andy...

Hard for me to take a company with such a name seriously.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 05:02 PM

Got my 6.5 creed. no vortex.

[Linked Image] banana

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
...Bix N Andy...

Hard for me to take a company with such a name seriously.

Definitely can be argued they are best tiggers made currently. I prefer them over Triggertech although both are good.

Nice rig. Y’all note Buzz got him some of them I’ Talian scope rings….nice touch! cool
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 05:50 PM

Nice rifle Buzz. What features does it have that the 223 you sold me doesn't?
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 08:17 PM

I recently joined this cult too and it's been frustrating so far.
I love the fit and feel of the gun as well as the trigger but am having heck getting it to shoot as well as most others claim they do.
I have tried multiple loads with 5 different powders, two different bullets, and at best it's been a 1" gun so far.
Now I'm finding it seems to be finicky about action screw torque which is something I haven't really had problems with or had to deal with in the past.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by cullbuck
I love the fit and feel of the gun as well as the trigger but am having heck getting it to shoot as well as most others claim they do.
I have tried multiple loads with 5 different powders, two different bullets, and at best it's been a 1" gun so far.
Now I'm finding it seems to be finicky about action screw torque which is something I haven't really had problems with or had to deal with in the past.

Did you remove the action to adjust the trigger and are not sure of the torque setting to return the screws to, or make other modifications? Have you tried any factory ammo?

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

That new rifle smell roflmao

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

That new rifle smell roflmao

clap

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 10:08 PM

Very strange. I’ve honestly never saw one that wouldn’t shoot.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/14/23 10:38 PM

Model, caliber, suppressed y/n, optic?

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 02:42 PM

I don't want to hi-jack Buzz's thread but mine is a t3x, 8 twist 22-250, no suppressor/not threaded, Burris fullfield 4-12, burris signature zee rings on EGW rail.
After some unsatisfactory initial results, I did some research (and called and talked to Chad) and then removed the stock and floated the barrel (removed the factory pressure points) and also replaced the plastic trigger guard "bottom metal" with High Desert Rifle works bottom metal, reassembled and torqued the action screws to 45 in./lbs.
This resulted in the gun shooting a horizontal ~1 1/2" string. After more reading on other forums, etc. I have loosened and re-torqued the action screws to 40 on front and 30 on rear but have not got to shoot it again yet to see what this will do.
I'm interested to hear how Buzz's works out and maybe I am the lucky owner of the only less than stellar Tikka which would not be surprising. I'm used to luck like this and have learned not to buy lotto tickets.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 03:06 PM

Don’t feel alone I bought a savage which are respected as crummy cycling poor ejectors etc but shoot. Mine cycles ejected fine but didn’t shoot. Installed pillars in stock and bedded and floated barrel and made a marked improvement but still not GOOD! Rebarreled to 7-08 and it’s great.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 03:12 PM

I don't want to hi-jack Buzz's thread but mine is a t3x, 8 twist 22-250, no suppressor/not threaded, Burris fullfield 4-12, burris signature zee rings on EGW rail.
After some unsatisfactory initial results, I did some research (and called and talked to Chad) and then removed the stock and floated the barrel (removed the factory pressure points) and also replaced the plastic trigger guard "bottom metal" with High Desert Rifle works bottom metal, reassembled and torqued the action screws to 45 in./lbs.
This resulted in the gun shooting a horizontal ~1 1/2" string. After more reading on other forums, etc. I have loosened and re-torqued the action screws to 40 on front and 30 on rear but have not got to shoot it again yet to see what this will do.
I'm interested to hear how Buzz's works out and maybe I am the lucky owner of the only less than stellar Tikka which would not be surprising. I'm used to luck like this and have learned not to buy lotto tickets.

I'm interested in seeing how it shoots now that you've gone 40/30. A horizontal string like that indicates to me that there is something amiss but happening repeatedly in the same manner. Over-torque pressure on the action could be your gremlin.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 03:27 PM

Sorry Buzz

I’ve honestly never put a torque wrench on a Tikka. Just tightened them. It’s the Salvages that I have to pay attention to.

Horizontal stringing does indicate action screws though. Or scope base.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 03:37 PM

What kind of groups were you getting before you altered the stock, and did you try factory ammo during your initial trials? I have three Tikka's. A CTR, all factory, a RoughTech, all factory and a T3 that I modified. They all shoot great with factory ammo, mostly 1/2" groups.

I modified the T3 with High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal, a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block and sanded the barrel channel fully floating all the way to the recoil lug. I posted the great results a few years ago, and this year it's still shooting and killing very effectively. IMO, altering your stock was a mistake. Tikka guarantees their rifles with the stock as is, shooting factory ammo. Also, I don't see the gain in going to bottom metal and keeping the plastic stock. I made modifications to my T3 because I wanted to make a good rifle into a great rifle. I went in knowing I wanted an upgraded stock with an aluminum bedding block and bottom metal over plastic so that I could torque the action tighter after floating. With bottom metal and an altered plastic stock, I don't see how anyone could give you a working torque setting. I got my torque setting from Bell and Carlson. If you're wanting to keep this rifle, I'd change the stock to compliment the bottom metal.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 04:13 PM

What kind of groups were you getting before you altered the stock, and did you try factory ammo during your initial trials? I have three Tikka's. A CTR, all factory, a RoughTech, all factory and a T3 that I modified. They all shoot great with factory ammo, mostly 1/2" groups.

I modified the T3 with High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal, a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block and sanded the barrel channel fully floating all the way to the recoil lug. I posted the great results a few years ago, and this year it's still shooting and killing very effectively. IMO, altering your stock was a mistake. Tikka guarantees their rifles with the stock as is, shooting factory ammo. Also, I don't see the gain in going to bottom metal and keeping the plastic stock. I made modifications to my T3 because I wanted to make a good rifle into a great rifle. I went in knowing I wanted an upgraded stock with an aluminum bedding block and bottom metal over plastic so that I could torque the action tighter after floating. With bottom metal and an altered plastic stock, I don't see how anyone could give you a working torque setting. I got my torque setting from Bell and Carlson. If you're wanting to keep this rifle, I'd change the stock to compliment the bottom metal.

I don't have any factory ammo so haven't tried that. Prior to altering, it would shoot some loads with 3 to 4 shots into 3/4 - 1" but then always 1 or 2 flier(s) (usually a little high left) to open the group to 1 1/2 or so. Also to note, I was allowing the barrel too fully cool (5 to 15 min.) between shots so barrel heat was not a factor. I do want to keep the rifle and am determined to figure this out (help welcomed)...and it's now become a "me" vs. the gremlin thing.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 04:43 PM

I don't have any factory ammo so haven't tried that. Prior to altering, it would shoot some loads with 3 to 4 shots into 3/4 - 1" but then always 1 or 2 flier(s) (usually a little high left) to open the group to 1 1/2 or so. Also to note, I was allowing the barrel too fully cool (5 to 15 min.) between shots so barrel heat was not a factor. I do want to keep the rifle and am determined to figure this out (help welcomed)...and it's now become a "me" vs. the gremlin thing.

Get the stock, Bell and Carlson Medalist. I got a service award from my company and put it all towards having a great rifle. The T3 in the B&C stock, with the High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal got me there for about $1,000.00.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 04:44 PM

The T3 Hunter or Lite doesn’t like more than 3-4 rounds. I’ve owned and loaded for many. Running them hot with no delay they have performed better than you describe.

T3 Lite with factory ammo

[Linked Image]

T3 Hunter ( wood stock bedded)

[Linked Image]

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 07:22 PM

Oh He77

ya'll got me worrying. Better taker some range picture to prepare it for sale bolt

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/15/23 08:45 PM

Buzz, I'm sure yours will shoot like Tikka's should.
I'm hoping to slip away a little early today and try to get a few shots off before dark to see what mine will throw at me next.

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/17/23 06:04 PM

Well on my problem child tikka, the 40/30 action screw torque didn't make it shoot like a tikka should either.
It shoots the first shot (completely cold) dead on point of aim and the next two (again allowing 5-10 min. to cool between shots) 1 1/2" right about 3/8" apart. (Repeated this two consecutive days.)
Maybe I will try 60/40 torque and see what happens before changing stocks.
Posted By: Fishermen0105

Re: OMG, I think I joined a CULT !!!! - 11/17/23 11:03 PM

Tikka has a great trigger, I adjusted mine to right at 2 pounds. Not sure Id bother swapping triggers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum