Texas Hunting Forum

Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there?

Posted By: DStroud

Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 02:42 AM

https://www.22creedmoor.com/
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 03:50 AM

Had a really nice one built by Alamo Precision. Traded it for a trophy deer hunt. It was pretty badd azz.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 03:55 AM

Is Hornady going to be producing ammo?

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Is Hornady going to be producing ammo?

Announcement coming soon…..
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 02:04 PM

Didn’t Judd just build one?
Posted By: dee

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 03:25 PM

Currently waiting on my new reamer to show up so I can spin the next one up.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Didn’t Judd just build one?

Yes…impressive little round and fun to shoot.

Alpha makes great srp brass and seems to hold up well to pressure because I’m way over Peterson’s data on that page. I’m shooting 80.5 Berger and it’s been fun shooting but I’ve not got to run it through anything yet.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dee

Yea my first barrel went down on me right in the middle of predator season so I had a shorter and another long barrel and made the rifle a switch barrel. It made it almost 3 seasons but I did play with it a while early on as there was nothing to go by back then data wise. Once I settled on Reloder 26 I quit testing and just shot critters so a lot of fun out that first barrel.
Judd mentioned Peterson….. yea they tested my load that I used 6.5 Lapua SR brass necked down and literally wore out a barrel with and it was 70K+ PSI eek2….. and that brass will still hold primers. Shows how tough good brass can be but I’ve backed off these days.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud
Originally Posted by dee

Yea my first barrel went down on me right in the middle of predator season so I had a shorter and another long barrel and made the rifle a switch barrel. It made it almost 3 seasons but I did play with it a while early on as there was nothing to go by back then data wise. Once I settled on Reloder 26 I quit testing and just shot critters so a lot of fun out that first barrel.
Judd mentioned Peterson….. yea they tested my load that I used 6.5 Lapua SR brass necked down and literally wore out a barrel with and it was 70K+ PSI eek2….. and that brass will still hold primers. Shows how tough good brass can be but I’ve backed off these days.

Mine saw pretty hard use as I ran it in a couple prs matches. I was right at the 1350ish round count. New tube is going to be in the 16-18 inch range. Quickload shows staball to be promising along with a few others on decent speed with 80's.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 04:21 PM

What did you change on the reamer, freebore?

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Freebore and more neck clearance as I will be switching to Lapua 6 creed brass necked down. The old reamer works but it could use a smidge more for proper release.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 04:38 PM

Horizon has settled on 18 inch as their main focus right now.

They have been gearing up and I don’t know how many they have but it’s a big number getting ready for go time!

I run a 20 inch for the majority of hunting but if conditions merit I bring out the 26 inch.

I went down the rabbit hole for speed with heavies so hate giving much up. cheers

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 04:48 PM

I ran a 22 on my first setup and it ate a pretty steady diet of 88 ELD and 90 Berger's right at 3150fps. It was a 7 twist so I was afraid to push it too much because I found that if I didn't keep it clean it would blow bullets up due to the combination of fouling and rpm's.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 05:06 PM

I like the 1/8 but have thought maybe the 1/7.5 is all around about perfect.
1/7 is almost too much of a good thing due to exactly what you (Dee)said.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 05:33 PM

My new tube is a 7.5 or a 7.7 twist. I have an extra 8 laying around that might get used but I'm not certain yet.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by dee

Freebore and more neck clearance as I will be switching to Lapua 6 creed brass necked down. The old reamer works but it could use a smidge more for proper release.

Gotcha…

I’m the anti twist…current trend is too over twist stuff and Litz is the main reason (my opinion). 8 is perfect for all but the 90’s and even then if you push them hard enough it’s probably fine. When I ran 90’s in my 22 dasher, I used a grain twist Rock and 5r because I think both of those help not put more pressure on the jackets.

I’ve run Brux 8’s on two different rifles and both have shot well.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 08:46 PM

How short can one get away with comfortably?

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 09:06 PM

I’m running 80.5’s at 3200 in a 20”. It’s ~ 25-40 an inch you cut.

How slow you wanna go?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/15/23 10:20 PM

I don't have the creed but when I do replace the barrel on the 22-243 it will most likely be with the 22 Creed. 27 inch Hart 22-243 1:8 twist and I can get the 90gr Berger to shoot but have to have to run it hot for my liking to get there. The way I hunt and shoot these days I might never do that since 225 yard is [censored], far as I have to shoot on my place so really i kind of a waste but there is something to like about long skinny bullets going fast.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/16/23 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by dee

Gotcha…

I’m the anti twist…current trend is too over twist stuff and Litz is the main reason (my opinion). 8 is perfect for all but the 90’s and even then if you push them hard enough it’s probably fine. When I ran 90’s in my 22 dasher, I used a grain twist Rock and 5r because I think both of those help not put more pressure on the jackets.

I’ve run Brux 8’s on two different rifles and both have shot well.

I'm of the same mindset providing you aren't shooting past the transonic zone. In my experience that's where it can show to be more consistent. Only reason for the slightly faster twist is that at the time I found it I knew I was building another 223ai soon but ended up finding a straight 7 for it so the slower will be the creed.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/16/23 02:15 AM

How slow you wanna go?

I want it short enough that when I add my supp it’s not cumbersome
The research begins
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/16/23 02:35 AM

My next Sig Cross, the third, will be rebarreled in 22 Creedmoor by Straight Jacket Armory. Love these guns & Straight Jacket Armory.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/16/23 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

How slow you wanna go?

I want it short enough that when I add my supp it’s not cumbersome
The research begins

Get down to 16" and it would need to be loaded with a faster burn rate powders than what typically would go in the cartridge. In the end, it will still be "fast"
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/18/23 02:18 AM

I’m getting right at 3400 with 75eldm in a 20” 1:7.7T with N160.
This is initial load work up and a toasty, max load.
Accuracy node is down about 3280 with this combo in my rifle.
Have some 69gr Scenars to try next and that should yield 3400 within acceptable pressures.
I typically look for accuracy and don’t chase velocity but…this cartridge begs for it.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/20/23 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by RHutch
Have some 69gr Scenars to try next and that should yield 3400 within acceptable pressures.
I typically look for accuracy and don’t chase velocity but…this cartridge begs for it.

3280 would be highly acceptable for me. Sounds like you got it goin good.

Re: Any 22 Creedmoor fans out there? - 07/20/23 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RHutch

Yea toasty would be a good description! I have a 21 inch and getting 3400 with my 70gr ELD X has been unattainable even with the hot rod powder R26…. Maxed out at 3300 and they shot great but I backed off as well.
N160 was I believe the first powder I tried in 22 Creedmoor in 2014 and it shot fine but in that barrel (24 inch) but I got excessive pressure signs at 3400 with 75’s and I was looking back then for more so I kept playing with powders.
Nowadays I refer to Hodgdon/ Peterson reloading data online as I know it’s been pressure tested just to get an idea where 62k PSI velocity is supposed to be within given barrel length and bullet weights.
Won’t be long until more data is published with the newly SAAMI approved cartridge.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum