Texas Hunting Forum

Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade?

Posted By: Hizenbay

Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/16/23 06:59 PM

I was just gifted a Huglu 20 ga. over and under and have no experience with these guns. What do you guys think? Good gun? Also, it can be a pain to break open as it is so stiff. How is this remedied? I tried lubricating and it didn't seem to help at all. Thank you.
Posted By: 65x55

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/16/23 07:36 PM

CZ O/Us and SxS are made by Huglu and they sell for 700+ or so new, so not a bad deal for a free gun. It should loosen up over time.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/16/23 07:46 PM

I have one of their 20ga SXS and really enjoy shooting and hunting with it. Great gun not really solid dependable gun it is.

They have been making guns in Turkey for years some of their guns are very nice with very high grade walnut. I know back when I bought mine which is a field grade model they said the Walnut is from 200+ year old Turkish Walnut. Their high end models with Exhibition grade walnut are really nice.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/18/23 02:50 PM

If it’s that stiffed open, it’s probably not even broken in yet. The remedy is to take it out and shoot it repeatedly. Enjoy.

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/18/23 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Jeem
If it’s that stiffed open, it’s probably not even broken in yet. The remedy is to take it out and shoot it repeatedly. Enjoy.

Agree, mine was stiff at first but a got better with shooting
Posted By: Hizenbay

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/18/23 04:31 PM

And when breaking it in, one shell is as good as another? Someone told me that shooting high-brass would remedy the situation and I'm not sure I believe that. Thank you.

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/18/23 06:33 PM

Broke mine in shooting dove and quail promo loads on sporting clays and skeet shoots. Not like the old LC Smith smoothness wise but not bad and getting better with time and more shooting.

on the higher payload and velocity shells I think that might be more for the inertia semiauto shotguns than breakopens
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/22/23 12:59 AM

Pop the forearm off. Then take the barrels off. Wipe off the hinge pins, front of the receiver, iron at the back of the forearm that mates up to the receiver, the inlets on the block on the barrels the hinge pins go in, the cocking levers, and the knuckle on the bottom of the barrels the forearm goes on. Grease them all and put it back together. It will be better. Keep it greased so the hinge pins don’t gall and it stays on face. It will limber up with use. No need to worry about what kind of shot shells you shoot to break it in.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/24/23 01:37 PM

I have the CZ Teal, which is made by Huglu, and it’s been a fantastic gun. I shoot 7/8 oz 20 gauge and have killed countless dove and clays. I wouldn’t trade or sell mine. It’s not a B gun, but it cost way less too. My action has smoothed out substantially with use and proper maintenance.
Posted By: 65x55

Re: Huglu 20 ga. O/U. Keep or Trade? - 05/24/23 01:43 PM

I have my grandpa's old Lefever 20 gauge he got used when he was a teen, but I don't really want to take that into the rice paddies at this point. Huglu/CZ is just the ticket for a modern hard use O/U or SxS.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum