Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle Shooting Bench

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 09:05 AM

Trying to determine feasibility of selling a few of these. This is the 3rd I've built, all for myself or friends. All treated material and 4" exterior t25 head screws. 4' x 4' with a 2' x 2' cut out for shooter. Legs are treated 4" x 4",
table frame is treated 2" x 6", leg braces are treated 2" x 4". The table top is 2 layers of exterior siding. Myself and people of all sizes like the design and size.

The first one I built has been outside for four years and still in use. Would these sell for $300.00, $250.00? I'm getting pretty good at knocking these out now that I have all the dimensions and cuts, and have an assembly sequence. They turn out square and very solid, no wobble, really stout table. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kry226

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 11:53 AM

Sign me up! up

May have to discuss delivery, though... bolt

laugh Seriously, though, I like it and am very interested.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Sign me up! up

May have to discuss delivery, though... bolt

laugh Seriously, though, I like it and am very interested.

I prolly drive right by your statesiide place on the way to my lease.

These could be picked up in Lewisville, or meet from The Colony, Ft. Worth,....all worked at order placement if I have enough interest.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 12:46 PM

I am a cheap SOB. I saw a bunch listed when I bought our 33 acres and decided to go spend $75 in lumber and 2 hours of my time and build my own.

But I also needed one for LH and RH, and buying those was more expensive than a single-sided one like you have. Maybe I'd have been tempted to buy if I only needed one side...not sure

I see quite a few listed and the price range you mentioned is about how much the rest are listed for, so I think you'll have some competition but they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't selling any, so the market is there.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 01:22 PM

I built a similar 'T' 6-7 years ago and it's still out in the weather. Need to tap a few nails in but it holds up.You could save a little money using 2x4s around the top, there's no need for a 2x6 in that spot. I did use bolts at the upper corners, though.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 01:30 PM

Nice looking bench - looks very sturdy. I like that no built-in-seat is in the way. I'm sure you can sell these for the price you're thinking. Next design a sturdy reloading bench.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 01:39 PM

Easier to buy and transport raw materials to land or lease and build onsite. Like mentioned above...$75 and couple hours of work.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 01:54 PM

Materials on this one was $110.00. Fasteners about 25-30% of that. Time to shop, haul 10' 2-6"s, build time...........I think price is good.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Easier to buy and transport raw materials to land or lease and build onsite. Like mentioned above...$75 and couple hours of work.

I'd rather take a finished product than haul a truck load of tools and 10' 2x6"s to the lease. Also, working on a flat concrete surface (my garage floor) gives you a surface to square against. I build everything myself. Stands, bunk house, buildings at home..........you'd be shocked at how many people don't know how, are too busy but have the $ to pay someone, want convenience, etc.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I built a similar 'T' 6-7 years ago and it's still out in the weather. Need to tap a few nails in but it holds up.You could save a little money using 2x4s around the top, there's no need for a 2x6 in that spot. I did use bolts at the upper corners, though.

The 2" x 6" frame for the table gives a lot more surface area for the legs to adhere, making them more rigid and stable on the x & y axis.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
Nice looking bench - looks very sturdy. I like that no built-in-seat is in the way. I'm sure you can sell these for the price you're thinking. Next design a sturdy reloading bench.

Give me finished height, length and width. I know how to block corners when needed, frame legs into supporting edge of work surface, etc.

To block the corners, I cut a flat on the exposed edge of the 4" x 4" leg where it meets the frame. A diagonal 2" x 4" goes side to side, flush with the flat on the leg. Screws into the frame and leg. Our patio table is built this way, seats 10. No wobble.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Like this. I'd do similar on reloading bench, legs would be stacked, one layer on the leading edge extending to the edge of the work surface.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 02:23 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 03:21 PM

Just shoot prone. Shooting mats only weigh a couple pounds peep

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Just shoot prone. Shooting mats only weigh a couple pounds peep

Thats my preference, I carry one rolled up in my pack. A double layer of that kind of cloth Walls coveralls are made from. Cheap at the fabric store where old ladies still buy patterns and sewing stuff. I learned at the last shooting match that I can get flatter to the ground than the average shooter laying prone. But, at the lease where we have one of these benches, it sure is nice to drive up, set your stuff on the table and spend a few hours.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 04:06 PM

My bench shooting is only on prairie dogs.

I'm just pickin. grin
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

The 2" x 6" frame for the table gives a lot more surface area for the legs to adhere, making them more rigid and stable on the x & y axis.

That makes sense. I would say your price is pretty fair. I also like that you didn't build in the seats. Much better to use a good chair or stool that can be moved and adjusted for different shooters.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 04:24 PM

You would be good to sell the plans and all the pre-cut parts let the customer assemble. Get your costs down around $50-60 and sell for $100-125.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 04:38 PM

[quote=QuitShootinYoungBucks]I built a similar 'T' 6-7 years ago and it's still out in the weather. Need to tap a few nails in but it holds up.You could save a little money using 2x4s around the top, there's no need for a 2x6 in that spot. I did use bolts at the upper corners, though.

That makes sense. I would say your price is pretty fair. I also like that you didn't build in the seats. Much better to use a good chair or stool that can be moved and adjusted for different shooters.[/quote
Learned the hard way. Built in seat bad. You move,the gun could move.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:01 PM

I wouldn't want one that isn't designed for both L and R handed shooters.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

That's way too much additional material, build time and size for the bench to only gain something for 10% or less of all shooters when targeting the open market. I'd build it left upon request, but a T shape...........investment/market gain ain't there.

That said, If you want a T design, I'll build it for you. Send me a PM if interested.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:17 PM

I made that mistake. Didn't think about anyone else using mine, and it turned out my buddy needed it. He had to use it kind of backwards.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill

I made that mistake. Didn't think about anyone else using mine, and it turned out my buddy needed it. He had to use it kind of backwards.

Can't you just rotate the table?

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Texican

Where would the left handed shooter rest his right arm?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:54 PM

My daughter is a lefty so I had to build one with a wrong side.
[Linked Image]

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 06:58 PM

If the two wings of that bench are the same length, it can be used LH or RH. Rotate the bench.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 07:27 PM

@JG. They are, but you would only have a 24" sq area to rest rifle. Also notice the perimeter leg bracing. There is a voided area to allow a right handed shooter the room to get close to rifle.

Somebody gotta draw me a picture, I can't see this working for a lefty by rotating it.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 07:42 PM

Rough, but I think like this. (Shooter sits in the 2x2 cut out either way)
[Linked Image]

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 07:54 PM

As Gomer Pyle said to Sargeant Carter, Gawwwaawwleee.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 09:09 PM

Everyone with an outdoor range ,EH'Em, there's one in Sanger I know of, and another in Fossil Pointe , and, another in Carthage should have a few of these on their long ranges

I built a really good, heavy, one with pipe legs with directions off 24 hour Campfire . The guy was selling the best brackets I've ever seen.

A good shooting mat is the best as stated: except for old farts with herniated disks in their necks. Mine are good for about 2/20 round relays with rest in-between. But it takes three men to help me up

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 09:30 PM

Rough, but I think like this. (Shooter sits in the 2x2 cut out either way)
[Linked Image]

Exactly
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 09:45 PM

Yeah, LH or RH if you move the bench. I prefer mine to have the legs in the ground.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 09:50 PM

No idea what it cost but my uncle gave us a similar one, framed in steel with bolt in lumber. Shot off of it earlier this year and it was pretty nice. It does have a chair attached that we didn’t have any issues with, shooters from 10-60 years old did great. Also had a left/right side which I liked as a shooter and spotter could sit at same time and a lefty and righty could shoot without moving. For us it makes a difference, my daughter is left handed and my son shoots left handed as he is left eye dominant.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 10:21 PM

I'm just glad to know that I accidentally designed a bench that will work for right or left hand shooters.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 10:25 PM

I'm just glad to know that I accidentally designed a bench that will work for right or left hand shooters.

laugh
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/11/23 11:26 PM

Gotta have a price increase for that..... grin
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/12/23 12:33 AM

I built one similar years ago. I used galvanized fence post for legs and concreted them into the ground. The legs is the only thing left now, gonna rebuild in a few weeks. Mine is ambi though, it's 6' wide and has a 2'x2' "U" cut out of the center. Thought about a T, but like the U better. No moving a righty's gear to shoot mine (lefty) or vice-versa.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/12/23 04:39 AM

I like the one that JG has, the metal portable one. Except when you lift it over your head and a leg falls out and hits you in the head.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/12/23 03:38 PM

I appreciate all the comments, input and suggestions. Thanks. Now that I've learned it will work ambi with an easy rotation I won't make changes. I wanted it some what portable. I can easily load and unload this from the Ranger or pickup bed. As for the size, it's chepaer and less labor intensive to work with a 4' plan. There is very little waste when working with the available stock lengths, such as the legs that come from 6' 4" x 4".
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/12/23 05:17 PM

You often hear people walk through craft fairs and say to someone, "I could make that." Truth is, very few if any will ever actually do it.

Slap some paint on them and ask for $300.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/12/23 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
I like the one that JG has, the metal portable one. Except when you lift it over your head and a leg falls out and hits you in the head.

Unfortunately it gets less portable as we get older…..
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/13/23 07:23 AM

I think your price is fair for sure. I know how many people pay people like us to build things for them, my business depends on people NOT doing the DIY thing on decks and patio covers. I have built a shooting bench myself and put it next door at my neighbor's range. Nice work on yours!

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/13/23 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DeckArtist
I think your price is fair for sure. I know how many people pay people like us to build things for them, my business depends on people NOT doing the DIY thing on decks and patio covers. I have built a shooting bench myself and put it next door at my neighbor's range. Nice work on yours!

Thanks

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/13/23 01:32 PM

It will work for a left or right handed shooter without rotating. Set it diagonally pointed down range. I have a lefty stopping by this evening, We'll have him test my theory. I set up on it left handed, worked for me .
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/15/23 05:17 AM

….
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/15/23 01:24 PM

Another good option is to add skid-runners to the legs. I've seen benches with skids easily moved around with a lawn tractor or atv if the ground is even.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/15/23 02:26 PM

Works equally well for a left handed shooter when rotated, my lefty shooting friend gave it a sit. Also, turned diagonally pointed down range will work ambi.

Most people that buy will use it for themselves 90% right handed. When they have a guest or family member that needs to shoot left hand, give it a spin or sit it diagonally.
This one is spoken for. I’ll build another in a week or so and put in classifieds for $250.00
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/17/23 04:52 AM

I have one ambidextrous and three left handed one of various sizes depending on situations

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/17/23 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DStroud
I have one ambidextrous and three left handed one of various sizes depending on situations

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Do the legs thread in, or slip fit?

According to their web site, the ambi is unavailable, and will be sold at an increase over the last offered price of $475.00 if and when they have them available.

What I build is not as portable, but a very solid, square bench. I can easily get this in and out of the bed of my Ranger or truck by myself.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/17/23 03:06 PM

The legs slip for alignment then thread. Yes you have to ask for ambidextrous. I was the Guinea pig on some of the design changes as he started that’s why I have several.

Re: Rifle Shooting Bench - 01/17/23 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a nice set up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum