Texas Hunting Forum

Just 1 magnum

Posted By: GusWayne

Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:05 AM

I hate magnums, I don't hunt out west but hope too one day once the kids are out of my pocket...Ill be 50 by then keep in mind..

I'll save the story and say that I want a 7mm in a X Bolt

Is there another caliber I am missing or should consider?

I have them all but magnums, this is a magnum only discussion...I just want 1
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:19 AM

Little off topic:
I have a browning 7mm mag A-bolt with boss system and it is a tack driver. Use Hornaday BTSP. Have over 21 confirmed kills, and will not look in any other direction. I had visions when I was younger to go elk hunting so wanted to be safe. That won't happen but this 7 mag has not failed me, ever.(knock on wood)
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:28 AM

The .264 Win Mag is pretty cool and can launch a 140 at decent speeds. I like it, but if you're not a handloader something else might make more sense.

I'm not a Weatherby hater, but I just don't find them very appealing for a number of reasons. The .257 Bee is pretty highly regarded, though.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:46 AM

7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, .300 PRC, 28 Nosler are all good choices.

If you're going to run factory ammo, the 7 Rem Mag and the 300 Win Mag are your best choices.

Hand loaded ammo, the 28 Nosler is my pick. 300 PRC is a close second.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by RiverRider
The .264 Win Mag is pretty cool and can launch a 140 at decent speeds. I like it, but if you're not a handloader something else might make more sense.

I'm not a Weatherby hater, but I just don't find them very appealing for a number of reasons. The .257 Bee is pretty highly regarded, though.

The .264 Win Mag is one of my holy grail guns. I want one. I have a really really accurate 6.5-06AI that does everything a .264 Win Mag does with less powder, but I still want one rifle
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:59 AM

If you have aspirations to hunt internationally, the .300 WM makes the most sense.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:03 AM

338 Win mag is my do everything magnum for N America.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:06 AM

300 Wby mag
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:07 AM

Yes Sir! Just not for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-378_Weatherby_Magnum
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:10 AM

If I was going to only have one Magnum it would be a 338
Posted By: TAB

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:13 AM

I personally have had almost everything at one point or another, and I can emphatically say that with your high level ask here the easy button is a 7 rem mag or a 300 win mag. I believe the 300 win mag will have more ammo availability and options over the 7 rm, however if you hand load at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter which one you get.

I have had a couple 300 weatherby mags that shot exceptionally well, and I have a 300 win mag today that shoots excellent. Bullet availability is my number one priority and for the most part you can find 30cal stuff in almost any variety at many stores. 7mm is around but the variety just hasn’t quite been as good as the 30 cal stuff.

Box ammo on a shelf somewhere, I have seen lots of 300 win mag.

Best advice anyone can give here when playing with a big boomer is buy in bulk, 200 pieces of brass all the same lot, 16 pounds of powder and about 500-1000 bullets with a quality mag primer, work the load up and lock it down.. 1000 rounds in a magnum is just about all of the accurate part of barrel life.. depending on how ya treat it. I shot a 300 jarett out in about 650 rounds once.

The short mags and felt recoil tend to be worse than their larger siblings due to the medium burn rate powders they use, your not saving anything by going with a wsm or a rsaum..

My opinion here but overall this advice will last you a lifetime.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
I hate magnums, I don't hunt out west but hope too one day once the kids are out of my pocket...Ill be 50 by then keep in mind..

Hard to beat the 7-mag as a great all around magnum, ammunition everywhere and a pretty good surprise in performance if you hand load. Browning's an excellent choice.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:26 AM

I have some .357 Magnums and a .30-30. Guess I'm out.
Posted By: howl

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:29 AM

300 WM and 300 WSM are probably easiest to resell after you decide you don't need it. 7mmRM probably a close third.

All my years behind a 300 mag of some variety make me really appreciate my 270 WSM. That's my choice. They say it's not what it appears but what it does to game tells the tale.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by howl
300 WM and 300 WSM are probably easiest to resell after you decide you don't need it. 7mmRM probably a close third.

All my years behind a 300 mag of some variety make me really appreciate my 270 WSM. That's my choice. They say it's not what it appears but what it does to game tells the tale.

I enjoy my 270 shawty mag.

OP, I’d probably buy a 300 WM or a 338WM.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:11 AM

30-06
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:18 AM

I don't have one, but am currently lusting after a 280ai. Although technically not a magnum, it's almost a magnum.

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
I don't have one, but am currently lusting after a 280ai. Although technically not a magnum, it's almost a magnum.

168 gr 2880-3000 fps

7 Rem Mag, 180 gr 2900-3050 fps

7 Rem Mag is mo magnums.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:42 AM

Since you want it for “out West”, the 7 REM Mag makes a lot of sense. If you wanted one magnum to hunt the world, get a 375 H&H.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:46 AM

No love for the RUM’s? Is it because they burn more powder and not as many factory loads?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by unclebubba

168 gr 2880-3000 fps

7 Rem Mag, 180 gr 2900-3050 fps

7 Rem Mag is mo magnums.

True. But for some reason, I want a 280ai. Not as interested in the 7mm mag. Maybe you could change my mind.
Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 04:32 AM

Upvote for the 7 mag. Shoot a Remington Sendero (stainless fluted)

Tack driver.

160 partitions are what I hunt with.

Kills anything in North America and a lot of stuff overseas.

No perceivable difference in recoil compared to my 30-06
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 04:46 AM

I really like my 300 wsm for our hunting. It is big enough even for bison and moose but works great on pronghorn too.
Short action so a lighter weight rifle can be had, flat enough shooting to reach out and plenty of power when it gets there.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 01:45 PM

My dad gave me a 7MM REM MAG as a gift maybe 30 years ago. I have hunted with that same 7MM REM MAG since then. Love it.

However, if there is ever a chance you will hunt down south, or specifically for Nilgai, there is a good chance you will need more. This is more so due to ranch requirements (as they want you to use something larger). If this is a possibility, I would go with .338WM .
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:24 PM

I like thinking about random things and I too came to the same conclusion of just wanting one magnum built. For me, i like the suggestion from others here to pick a bullet first and then work backwards towards the rifle. Even if a specific bullet is too speicifc at an early stage of thinking about it, narrowing down a bullet caliber may help u choose the actual magnum caliber. My conclusion was I want some sort of 30cal bullet. I'm a 308 fanboy and think 30cal has the best and broadest bullet choices so 300prc seemed like the best choice.

side note: my magnum dream rifle is to have it look like the original AI 338 lapua. It's the rifle in the Counter Strike series of computer games. just gonna pick my own caliber.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 02:46 PM

In my mind there are 5 categories one has to own atleast one of each. Just pick a cartridge

Nostalgia-
375 H&H doubles

Magnum-
300wm, 300wsm, 300prc, 30/28nosler, X RUMs

Middle road-
280ai, 7mag, 264wm, 26 nos, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 RPM, 270, 270 wsm

Everyone caliber
6.5 CM, 7-08, 260, 6.5-285

The little train that could
223, 22-250, 22CM, 223 Valkyrie,

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:15 PM

Just one, OP? .300 WM, IMO.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:32 PM

There's no question as far as which magnum is the BEST magnum. From 110 grain bullets all the way up to 250 grains, how could you beat a 300 Win Mag? If there was just one cartridge I had to shoot forever, it would be an instant pick of 300 Win Mag. No hesitation and instant response with no regret. Easy pick.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:42 PM

I have both a 300 WM and a 7 RM. I tend to shoot the 7 RM more because it's stupid accurate out to 1400 yards. But for strictly hunting situations I'd choose the 300 WM. One piece of advice, if you do go with a 7 RM try to find one with a fast twist barrel like a 1:8 so that you can shoot the long/heavy bullets in it.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 03:56 PM

No way I'd choose a belted case unless I was buying ammo and not reloading. If I think big, 3 calibers come to mind...28 Nosler, 30 Nosler and 300prc. I've got a Nilgai trip booked for Jan 2024 and I need a big gun...I have switched between those three no less than 2x on each. Right now, I'm on the 30 Nosler and 200 grain Accubond...likely that is where I'll end up.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 04:08 PM

Agree with JG above,

Factory ammo: 7 mag or 300 win. If you can find enough factory ammo then maybe the 300 PRC but probably better if a reloader.

Reloader: 28 Nosler would be my #1 (it’s my favorite caliber by far). 300 PRC would be 2nd.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by RJH1

Yep that's what I shot with a Nozler .225 accubone, no tracking required. I have it set up for a long-range gun and have no issues on an 800+ yard shot. I'm using my G7 range finder and Kestrel to get the shot there.

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 11:31 PM

If you're going to run factory ammo, the 7 Rem Mag and the 300 Win Mag are your best choices.

I swear you said once a 7mm was more of a push vs the the 300 wm

I aint skeered of them but at the same time, id like to enjoy them too

Thanks for all the replies guys

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
If you have aspirations to hunt internationally, the .300 WM makes the most sense.

Id love to go to Alberta for a 300 lb whitetail but I refuse the jab and cant cross the border to the north

Ive never had any interest in Africa

And Mexico has the whole cartel deal

Im just fine here

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/08/22 11:52 PM

I said the long magnums are more of a shove than the .30-06

All of them are due to the slow burn rate of the few powders they run on.

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/09/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Hard to beat the 7-mag as a great all around magnum, ammunition everywhere and a pretty good surprise in performance if you hand load. Browning's an excellent choice.

Haven't saw Hwy in awhile, good to see you sir

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/09/22 12:16 AM

I said the long magnums are more of a shove than the .30-06

All of them are due to the slow burn rate of the few powders they run on.

10/4, I appreciate the feedback from all

Thanks again guys, this is a good place

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/09/22 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
There's no question as far as which magnum is the BEST magnum. From 110 grain bullets all the way up to 250 grains, how could you beat a 300 Win Mag? If there was just one cartridge I had to shoot forever, it would be an instant pick of 300 Win Mag. No hesitation and instant response with no regret. Easy pick.

Man its a coin flip, 300wm or 7mm I think

I just don't know yet...but I aint buying 2!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/09/22 12:27 AM

Id love to go to Alberta for a 300 lb whitetail but I refuse the jab and cant cross the border to the north

Im just fine here

Canada dropped all vaccine requirements in October..but back to topic.

I've had 3 magnums; the .257 wby, the 7mm remington ( also had a 7WSM for a quick minute) and a .300 win.

Out of all 3 of them, the .300 is hands down my favorite. Its the ticket for Elk, Moose, Caribou, will work for big Bears, Most everything in Africa smaller than a Cape Buffalo, its really the ideal all around round.

My .300 win is chambered in a Weatherby Mark V (blasphemous I know ) in their ultralight offering and its a pussycat to shoot with the brake attached. Literally almost zero recoil. I had a non-braked Browning Medallion in 7mm remington, gorgeous rifle but it was a bear to shoot....sold it off for that reason. My .257 wby is a fun gun but really doesent do anything that a .270 win wouldn't do.

For anything that you would need a magnum chambering for, the choice for me was a .300 win. I'm a hunter not a shooter so high B.C bullets was not a factor for me, I just throw some Nosler 180 Accubonds in the gun and go hunting.

On a side note, I was very vocal against going to Africa, had no desire, until I went. One of the most magical places on earth, I highly suggest you do not discount it.

Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/09/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Originally Posted by RJH1

Yep that's what I shot with a Nozler .225 accubone, no tracking required. I have it set up for a long-range gun and have no issues on an 800+ yard shot. I'm using my G7 range finder and Kestrel to get the shot there.

I am long time .338 WM fan.

Not as versatile as the 300 WM but then I'm not trying to make it a ONE rifle for all things scenario.

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/09/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Im just fine here

Canada dropped all vaccine requirements in October..but back to topic.

I've had 3 magnums; the .257 wby, the 7mm remington ( also had a 7WSM for a quick minute) and a .300 win.

Out of all 3 of them, the .300 is hands down my favorite. Its the ticket for Elk, Moose, Caribou, will work for big Bears, Most everything in Africa smaller than a Cape Buffalo, its really the ideal all around round.

My .300 win is chambered in a Weatherby Mark V (blasphemous I know ) in their ultralight offering and its a pussycat to shoot with the brake attached. Literally almost zero recoil. I had a non-braked Browning Medallion in 7mm remington, gorgeous rifle but it was a bear to shoot....sold it off for that reason. My .257 wby is a fun gun but really doesent do anything that a .270 win wouldn't do.

For anything that you would need a magnum chambering for, the choice for me was a .300 win. I'm a hunter not a shooter so high B.C bullets was not a factor for me, I just throw some Nosler 180 Accubonds in the gun and go hunting.

On a side note, I was very vocal against going to Africa, had no desire, until I went. One of the most magical places on earth, I highly suggest you do not discount it.

Some great points made, my wife could confirm and id back her..there isn't a worst flier than me and I cant control it. I literally hate it, I'm out of control.

We've...or she has changed our 20 year anniversary itinerary because of it, which is coming up (this spring) and that is a factor.

I told her just do it and ill suck it up, she won't and we are going to Vail, instead of Gernany....I'll have to get so looped up it aint worth it

Im glad to just be here in the States
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/10/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
300 Wby mag

That's the only Magnum that I have left. Truth be told most of my shooting/hunting is done with non-magnums but if I need a magnum the 300 Wby does what I need.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Just 1 magnum - 12/10/22 03:43 PM

I have a 7RM and a 300WM. Brass and components are fairly easy to source for either. The same could be said for factory ammunition if you don’t load your own. For hunting out west, either will do it in style. The 7 RM suits me a little better. I detest muzzle brakes on a hunting rifle and the 7RM for me is more comfortable to shoot. Most of the men I hunt with shoot 300 WM’s. Either is a great choice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum