Texas Hunting Forum

Guest Rifle

Posted By: Double AC

Guest Rifle - 11/29/22 12:22 AM

Well, I found an excuse for a new rifle banana. We’ve got plenty of guns, but not too many that we are super comfortable letting a guest use and not too many in a “do it all” caliber.

Currently the guns we let guests use are:

Remington 700 in .243 (a little light for red deer)
Remington 700 in .270 (perfect)
Marlin .45-70 (not scoped, limits shots, not always experienced with a lever gun)

And that’s about it… Rarely do I need to have two guests guns but I have two friends coming out that will need a gun and we still have red deer to take out that I would love to go home in a guests cooler rather than mine. For this trip, I am letting one use a BAR in .338 win mag but that’s really too much rifle for whitetail(and has nicer glass on it than I would typically let a guest use) which will be in the menu too and as mentioned the .243 is lighter than I would like for a big red deer cow.

So for the sake of caliber variety I am thinking that a 7mm-08 or a 30-06 would fit in nicely, but I haven’t bought a rifle in years. Could always go with a used classic like the Remington 700 but thought I would ask what are some of y’all’s favorite guns are in the calibers mentioned. Looking for tough, reliable, and something that can survive hands that might be less attentive than mine. Bolt action or semi auto and would likely be paired with a middle tier 2-8 scope.

Open to calibers not mentioned, but hard to go wrong with those two and the variety of guns that offer them.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Guest Rifle - 11/29/22 12:25 AM

I like 3006, but would probably go with a 270, just so you don't have to buy another kind of ammo
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Guest Rifle - 11/29/22 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by RJH1
I like 3006, but would probably go with a 270, just so you don't have to buy another kind of ammo

What he said^^^
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Guest Rifle - 11/29/22 01:00 AM

Tikka T-3 in 7mm-08

I just happen to have a brand new one that's about to get load development, ammo, DOPE then sold. Synthetic stock and stainless barreled action. It is a wrench, not a show piece. But a wrench that will do its job for years to come.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Guest Rifle - 11/29/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Tikka T-3 in 7mm-08

I just happen to have a brand new one that's about to get load development, ammo, DOPE then sold. Synthetic stock and stainless barreled action. It is a wrench, not a show piece. But a wrench that will do its job for years to come.

I support this statement.

Mostly the 7mm-08 and the Tikka is an excellent reliable accurate firearm. Many good rifles will meet your needs.

Jason’s Tikka with ammo ready to go seems like an excellent option. He could probably even mount and sight in your scope for you. Package done.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum