Texas Hunting Forum

Bear Creek or Stoner

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 02:17 AM

Kinda looking at a 6.5 Grendel upper. Both are complete for ~$250 (yes, I’m a poor).

The BCA is a right-side charger. AR Stoner is a typical charging handle. Both are free float, mlok.

Which one?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 02:46 AM

I read reviews on the stoner when I was looking. After I read them I wouldn’t buy one. Haven’t used either.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 02:55 AM

I believed Bear Creek would suck, had a buddy buy one and was impressed...he tells me about it

I too then bought one and ill be dam, it shot great

I got 1'' groups out of it believe it or not

They definitely look cheap to hold but it shot good, as good as those costing twice as much and it never FTF

All I got
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 11:49 AM

All the Bear Creek stuff I have used over the years has been fine. Never tried AR Stoner.
Posted By: 65x55

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 12:58 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought Stoner uppers were Midway's house brand made by Bear Creek?
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 01:13 PM

I have had consistent accuracy out of both of my Bear Creek Uppers firing both steal and brass ammo.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 02:08 PM

My Bear Creek is the side charging upper. Accuracy wise it’s good, functions great until you need to clear a live round, it can be an absolute battle
Posted By: howl

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 02:18 PM

When gambling the question is who will make it right with the least hassle if you get a lemon. Side charge is better for hunting, standard for everything else.

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisG
I have had consistent accuracy out of both of my Bear Creek Uppers firing both steal and brass ammo.

What kind of groups are you getting, and what cartridge?
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by ChrisG

What kind of groups are you getting, and what cartridge?

7.62x39 - I have killed countless pigs, a handful of javelinas and a coyote or 2 with mostly tula 122 HP but some 123 winchester Soft points.

All of the shots have been sub 100yds but I have not missed yet.

223 Wylde - I have not shot much but with Freedom Muntions 62 grain FMJ reloads I can cover a three shot group in the bottom of a dr pepper can around 100 yards.

Most of my shooting is not at ranges but more ranch style.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/22/22 07:57 PM

I prefer to buy once cry once. Larue Tactical has a match grade complete upper but significantly more money.

My complete rifle shoots sub-moa with Hornady Black 123 Gr and I have had it out to 800 yards at JG's place.

LT 6.5 Grendel Upper
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/23/22 12:08 AM

Bear Creek 7.62X39

I wanted to prove there was nothing wrong with the cartridge.

Load development yielded 1.7" at 200 yards. I have seen bolt action rifles do worse.

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/23/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
I prefer to buy once cry once. Larue Tactical has a match grade complete upper but significantly more money.

My complete rifle shoots sub-moa with Hornady Black 123 Gr and I have had it out to 800 yards at JG's place.

LT 6.5 Grendel Upper

If I had larue money I wouldn’t be asking about cheap chit roflmao

If I do buy one, I think I’m going with the Stoner. If it doesn’t shoot well enough, a Wilson barrel is $200-250.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/23/22 11:25 AM

There’s much better cheap AR stuff than Bear Creek, Stoner. Go with someone more reputable like Palmetto State Armory if you want cheap. Aero Precision is a good compromise. Ive run all the cheap azz AR stuff and BCA and Stoner suck.

I wouldnt waste time experimenting with a Stoner and swapping in a barrel later. Just keep saving for better quailty up front.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/23/22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

LT 6.5 Grendel Upper

If I had larue money I wouldn’t be asking about cheap chit roflmao

If I do buy one, I think I’m going with the Stoner. If it doesn’t shoot well enough, a Wilson barrel is $200-250.

Piecing garbage parts (except Wilson) together would be a hard pass for me. Good luck.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/23/22 06:41 PM

The BCA upper in x39 I have loves the SST cartridge. Nothing else. Just the SST. I like it though.
Posted By: howl

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/24/22 02:43 AM

If you're willing to buy a better barrel, then swapping a toolcraft bcg and better barrel into your current AR would be about the same. Building another upper with the decent bcg and barrel wouldn't be much more. Uppers are really simple to build.

Cheapest route is just use current 223 with better ammo.
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/24/22 01:15 PM

I have a Bear Creek .22 mag upper on an Anderson Lower and it has not had any issues. Both of the other ARs are matched Aero uppers and lowers. I would not hesitate to buy another BCA upper. I know everyone dogs them, but they also talk down about Anderson and I have had several with zero issues.

Re: Bear Creek or Stoner - 11/24/22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by howl
If you're willing to buy a better barrel, then swapping a toolcraft bcg and better barrel into your current AR would be about the same. Building another upper with the decent bcg and barrel wouldn't be much more. Uppers are really simple to build.

Cheapest route is just use current 223 with better ammo.

There’s no room for logic… this is the internet, after all grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum