Texas Hunting Forum

Heads up Henry Rifle Owners

Posted By: Texas Dan

Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/24/22 05:42 PM

Got an email from Henry today offering big loop levers for several of their models in several finishes to match the rifle. $50 plus a few bucks shipping.

I knew Henry's Customer Service was exceptional but my order shipped within minutes after placing it.

Link
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/26/22 04:40 PM

I love mine....picked up a Henry X .45 colt yesterday and the big loop lever is just flat awesome!
Posted By: Gw123

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/26/22 04:58 PM

Does the big loop serve any purpose or is it just for looks? Looks like it would make it a much longer cycle time
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/26/22 05:09 PM

Looks unless you want to spin it like in the Movies, one time it would be nice for a larger lever though is in the winter with heavy gloves.

A friend always wanted one and got it for his Marlin, Told me all about it and had put it on his gun. The next time I saw him with that rifle it had the standard factory loop on it. He often hunted with that rifle and he said it is not practical for his use, made cycle time slower and busted his knuckles on it several times.

Dan, I hope you like it as much as you think you will, but just in case I would keep the original one around just in case.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/26/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gw123
Does the big loop serve any purpose or is it just for looks? Looks like it would make it a much longer cycle time


The larger loop makes it easier to slide the fingers into it when wearing gloves. The large loop levers being offered by Henry appear to be roughly 30% smaller than those found on Winchester models. Not sure if either were designed as such but the large loop on the Henry still appears shaped for the fingers, while the large loop on the Winchester might be more compatible with the thumb and palm.

Henry Large Loop

[Linked Image]

Winchester Large Loop

[Linked Image]


Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/26/22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by kmon11
Dan, I hope you like it as much as you think you will, but just in case I would keep the original one around just in case.


Good point well taken.
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/26/22 09:07 PM

No, not at all. Just have to adjust your hand a bit. I don't have the super big loop lever like in the photo above, Mine is in the middle between the two.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/27/22 11:20 AM

They look silly to me.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/27/22 11:41 AM

I’m all about the cool factor if it’s what you like on just about anything. With that said if your gloves are too big to run the lever they’re too big to pull the trigger
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/27/22 03:08 PM

Chuck Connors would be proud.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/28/22 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169
I’m all about the cool factor if it’s what you like on just about anything. With that said if your gloves are too big to run the lever they’re too big to pull the trigger


Everytime I see the large loops I think of someone wearing the biggest ski gloves imaginable or an actual bear claw.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/28/22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
Originally Posted by wp75169
I’m all about the cool factor if it’s what you like on just about anything. With that said if your gloves are too big to run the lever they’re too big to pull the trigger


Everytime I see the large loops I think of someone wearing the biggest ski gloves imaginable or an actual bear claw.

clap
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/28/22 06:12 PM

Looks like a bunch of guys with T- rex forearms and hands on here, lol.
Spouse needs a larger lever loop to fit more than 3 fingers in it without gloves.
Henrys are not as bad as the Rossi/Puma lever actions.
Too small a loop on a larger caliber gets you finger smash with the recoil.

Never been about the look at all for us, it's the functionality.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/28/22 07:31 PM

The ones I have had problems with and the finger loop being small are the Marlin 1894s even though one of those is one of if not my favorite woods hunting rifles.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/28/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
They look silly to me.

It's going on a Henry so it's a moot point.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/29/22 11:25 AM

Right. No fan of Henry here.

Functionality? How is using a bicycle wheel as a lever functional?
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/29/22 07:50 PM

I recently made the mistake of buying a Henry .22 mag pump. What a cheaply made POS!!!

It doesn't shoot too bad, 1.5" at 50yds with V-MAX, but after less than 100rds it got to where I couldn't close the action. Adding lube did nothing and you can't take it apart (like a
Daisy BB gun) according to the manual??? Upon close examination the two piece bolt hangs on the hammer, so to close the action I have to depress the cocked hammer slightly to allow the bolt to clear it and close. Not a fast sequence for a pump......

Will be my last Henry
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/30/22 07:25 PM

Wilson Combat, do you give Henry a chance to make it right?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/30/22 09:00 PM

Have any of you ever seen a bed from the 1800’s? Now you may be asking yourself what do old beds have to do with old rifles from the 1800’s? People were often smaller in those days, meaning they also on average had smaller hands. The smaller lever on 30-30 rifles hasn’t changed since the first ones appeared on store shelves. In fact, the levers on my Winchester, Henry, and Marlin lever-actions are exactly the same size. Just like beds, it’s about time lever actions played catch-up with bigger beds.

Got the new lever today and it’s a much better fit. Not so big that Chuck Connors might be able to do his thing but I digress.

If only the airlines hadn’t taken the opposite approach with airplane seats.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 06/30/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Wilson Combat, do you give Henry a chance to make it right?


Obviously will, but the construction and quality (other than cosmetics which are very nice) isn't impressive. Seriously think Daisy air rifle, it's certainly not a Winchester model 61 !!!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/01/22 12:53 AM

Henrys are made to look at.
Posted By: Bryan C. Heimann

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/01/22 03:38 AM

Big loop is 100% function over form. If you like to keep it shouldered and maintain your sight picture when you cycle it, big loops are awesome.

Guns that run shorter cartridges, not so much. I suppose you want to short stroke them, lots of people have that done instead. But a 30/30, you can’t short stroke that. You need the full length of the action. And the big loop makes it easier.

Also helps to shoot a “youth” gun. So you can run that lever easier. The LOP isn’t that short on a youth marlin.

This is obviously all my own subjective experience lol. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/01/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Wilson Combat, do you give Henry a chance to make it right?


Obviously will, but the construction and quality (other than cosmetics which are very nice) isn't impressive. Seriously think Daisy air rifle, it's certainly not a Winchester model 61 !!!

Well that sucks, I've wanted a Golden Boy 22LR for a while. I guess it's back to the back burner.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/01/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Big loop is 100% function over form. If you like to keep it shouldered and maintain your sight picture when you cycle it, big loops are awesome.

Guns that run shorter cartridges, not so much. I suppose you want to short stroke them, lots of people have that done instead. But a 30/30, you can’t short stroke that. You need the full length of the action. And the big loop makes it easier.

Also helps to shoot a “youth” gun. So you can run that lever easier. The LOP isn’t that short on a youth marlin.

This is obviously all my own subjective experience lol. Your mileage may vary.


Idk about that. I’ve got a big loop 94 in 44 mag. I much prefer the normal lever, and I have no issues keeping a gun shouldered and running the action. All the big loop does is make the stroke longer—and harder to keep shouldered.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/01/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
All the big loop does is make the stroke longer—and harder to keep shouldered.


I thought that was case earlier and then realized if you don’t change the length of travel by the action, you’re not changing the length of travel in the lever. The start and end point of the arch made by the hand is simply farther away. Same length of stroke.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/02/22 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
All the big loop does is make the stroke longer—and harder to keep shouldered.


I thought that was case earlier and then realized if you don’t change the length of travel by the action, you’re not changing the length of travel in the lever. The start and end point of the arch made by the hand is simply farther away. Same length of stroke.


Except your hand has to travel farther to take up the slack in the giant loop.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/02/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
All the big loop does is make the stroke longer—and harder to keep shouldered.


I thought that was case earlier and then realized if you don’t change the length of travel by the action, you’re not changing the length of travel in the lever. The start and end point of the arch made by the hand is simply farther away. Same length of stroke.


Except your hand has to travel farther to take up the slack in the giant loop.


Unless you’re wearing giant oven mitts like some guys appear to be doing in which case the large loop is filled by the oven mitt 😀
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/02/22 11:31 PM

Perhaps the greatest benefit shared by those who actually own a large loop lever gun is improved accuracy. That's because a large loop lever offers far more surface area for the shooter's fingers to grasp the forearm and hold it more firmly. In fact, depending on the size of a person's hand and/or when wearing gloves, it could result in the shooter being able to quickly and firmly grasp and hold the forearm and lever with three fingers instead of just two. It's a point that also applies when you consider the lever release safety on Winchesters that must be depressed by the top of the lever before the rifle can be fired, something those who are new to Winchesters sometimes find annoying.

The greater surface area for the fingers to hold the forearm and top of the lever is shown clearly in the photo below.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/03/22 12:49 AM

Yeah I'll take the top one. It looks and works like normal. The bottom one is ghey lookin' and I wouldn't be able to use its abnormal action. Plus the bottom one is flat stocked which is for people with tiny hands. So do you have tiny hands or abnormally large ones?

Wait! Never mind. Forgot we're talking Henry. I'll never own one.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/03/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Perhaps the greatest benefit shared by those who actually own a large loop lever gun is improved accuracy. That's because a large loop lever offers far more surface area for the shooter's fingers to grasp the forearm and hold it more firmly. In fact, depending on the size of a person's hand and/or when wearing gloves, it could result in the shooter being able to quickly and firmly grasp and hold the forearm and lever with three fingers instead of just two. It's a point that also applies when you consider the lever release safety on Winchesters that must be depressed by the top of the lever before the rifle can be fired, something those who are new to Winchesters sometimes find annoying.

The greater surface area for the fingers to hold the forearm and top of the lever is shown clearly in the photo below.

[Linked Image]



Not a concern in modern times but a large loop lever makes the rifle MUCH easier to grab and withdraw from a saddle scabbard (mounted). With a gloved hand even more so.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/03/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Wilson Combat, do you give Henry a chance to make it right?


Obviously will, but the construction and quality (other than cosmetics which are very nice) isn't impressive. Seriously think Daisy air rifle, it's certainly not a Winchester model 61 !!!

Well that sucks, I've wanted a Golden Boy 22LR for a while. I guess it's back to the back burner.


Henry's are made to a price point. They are good rifles for what they are. Clearly, they don't compare to rifles costing twice as much. Make your own decisions based on your wants and needs.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heads up Henry Rifle Owners - 07/03/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Not a concern in modern times but a large loop lever makes the rifle MUCH easier to grab and withdraw from a saddle scabbard (mounted). With a gloved hand even more so.


As for modern times in areas closer to home, I can see this being a benefit when you're trying to remove the rifle quickly from the unzipped end of it's soft case after suddenly noticing some nearby critter while making a drive across your lease.

Of course, scabbards are still quite common in other areas of the country where a horse is the preferred, if not only way to reach distant areas and later pack meat out. I've seen some outstanding examples from those who advertise their works on the net.
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum