Texas Hunting Forum

New 6.5PRC Tikka build!!

Posted By: TRoberts

New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/21/22 06:20 PM

Finally got 98% of my parts in and get it together!! Bought a T3 lite 300WM for the base. I then picked up a 22” 6.5prc Proof Research carbon barrel and an M40 style Bell and Carlson stock. Had to do quite a bit of sanding on the front half of the barrel channel to fit and free float the barrel. A Mountain Tactical/Tikka Performance base (has a cool recoil lug built in to fit the tikka action) and leupold rings. Topped it off with a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 firedot. The cheap bipod was temporary and was re-homed. Not sure if I’ll run one or not since it’s a hunting gun and I primarily hunt out of blinds. The only thing I need, that I’m having a hard time finding, is a 5/8x24 shim kit so I can time my ASR muzzle brake and attach my suppressor that way. Then I can shoot it. Praying it groups as good as I want it to!!! Side note, if anyone has any use for a cheap Tikka stock and factory 300WM barrel let me know.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/21/22 07:12 PM

Looks great. Looking forward to a range report.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/21/22 07:15 PM

Can you weigh it without bipod and let us know ?
Posted By: Blackout Bill

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/21/22 07:19 PM

Very nice. I have a PR barrel on my AR10 in 308. Really trimmed some weight and super high quality.
Posted By: mikei

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/21/22 07:43 PM

Very nice, indeed. I, too, am looking forward to range report. I betcha it shoots a good as it looks!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/21/22 07:46 PM

Nice work sir

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/22/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

I will try to get a weight later today. I just have a regular home scale so it won’t be super accurate. I think it over weighs me by at least 30min hahahahahaha
Posted By: MrC1G

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/22/22 02:20 PM

Glad to see you sold your Browning. Nice rifle build let us know how it shoots.
Posted By: TLew

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/23/22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by TRoberts
The only thing I need, that I’m having a hard time finding, is a 5/8x24 shim kit so I can time my ASR muzzle brake and attach my suppressor that way. Then I can shoot it.

I just bought a shim kit from Amazon by a company called Down Range. It comes with 4 small, 4 medium, and 1 large shims. Might give it a try

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/24/22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

On a cheap bathroom scale it was 8.5lbs for the total rifle. I weighed myself and then weighed myself again holding the rifle.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/24/22 05:20 PM

That’s a good weight
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/25/22 04:42 AM

Have you had any feeding problems since 6.5 PRC is a SA cartridge?

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 05/25/22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
Have you had any feeding problems since 6.5 PRC is a SA cartridge?

I haven’t spent much time messing with it yet. It feeds ok from the 300WM magazine so far. I’m going to order a factory Tikka 6.5 prc 4rd mag anyway so that will clear anything up. All Tikka mags are the same as far as length goes. Since the 6.5 prc is a magnum sized case it just needs a slightly shorter magazine than the long action.

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 08/06/22 12:42 AM

[Linked Image]

Finally had a chance to put some rounds through the rifle at 100yds. The first shooting I did was the top yellow circle. I was aiming at the target below. I wasn’t super happy with the group but it was the first 3 rounds at distance. (I had put 4rds at 25yds to make sure it was on paper). I thought the gap was 4” between each target so I made an adjustment and realized that it was 3” since the single round in the bottom yellow circle was 1” low. So I made another adjustment and then shot the blue circle. All of these rounds so far were with the 147gr ELD-M target rounds. I still wasn’t super pleased with the group but I was hopeful since it was grouping since I plan to reload and work up a round anyway.

I made the switch to 143gr ELD-X (my hunting bullet for this year and more if it performs well) and shot two more rounds in the red circle. I could see that they were touching and 3/4” high. I made the 3 clicks of adjustment and then shot again. That round went dead center if the target. Collectively it appears to be a sub .25moa group across the 3 rounds!!!! To say I’m pleased is an understatement!!!! Considering how well the ELD-X shoots I think I won’t be so rushed to develop a load for it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 08/06/22 12:49 AM

You are basing your judgment on the rifle with a whole lot of factors belnded in all at the same time.

New barrel.
Barrel fouling in from being clean.
Adjusting scope improperly.
Changing, inconsistent factory ammo in the middle of the string.

I am sure it will be fine in the end.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 08/06/22 05:28 AM

[Linked Image]

Finally had a chance to put some rounds through the rifle at 100yds. The first shooting I did was the top yellow circle. I was aiming at the target below. I wasn’t super happy with the group but it was the first 3 rounds at distance. (I had put 4rds at 25yds to make sure it was on paper). I thought the gap was 4” between each target so I made an adjustment and realized that it was 3” since the single round in the bottom yellow circle was 1” low. So I made another adjustment and then shot the blue circle. All of these rounds so far were with the 147gr ELD-M target rounds. I still wasn’t super pleased with the group but I was hopeful since it was grouping since I plan to reload and work up a round anyway.

I made the switch to 143gr ELD-X (my hunting bullet for this year and more if it performs well) and shot two more rounds in the red circle. I could see that they were touching and 3/4” high. I made the 3 clicks of adjustment and then shot again. That round went dead center if the target. Collectively it appears to be a sub .25moa group across the 3 rounds!!!! To say I’m pleased is an understatement!!!! Considering how well the ELD-X shoots I think I won’t be so rushed to develop a load for it.

Great rig, you will kill lots of stuff with it. She's a shooter for sure. I assume these are shot with factory ammo?
Posted By: ThreeFingerPete

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 08/06/22 06:23 AM

... The only thing I need, that I’m having a hard time finding, is a 5/8x24 shim kit so I can time my ASR muzzle brake and attach my suppressor that way.

[Linked Image]

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/shim-kit/

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! - 08/12/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Great rig, you will kill lots of stuff with it. She's a shooter for sure. I assume these are shot with factory ammo?

Yes sir!! Factory loaded Hornady precision hunter 143gr ELD-X
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum