Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite.22 lever action

Posted By: R83steve

Favorite.22 lever action - 04/25/22 09:41 PM

What’s your favorite one that is currently being made? And, does it shoot short, long, and long rifle ?
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/25/22 09:43 PM

Henry H003
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/25/22 09:45 PM

I love my Henry Classic .22 LR.

Gets fed CCI Mini Mags.
Posted By: etsai

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 01:10 AM

Henry small game carbine with oct barrel. Iove it and only shot CCI .22lr.

Eugene
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 01:36 AM

Well, they are all potmetal including the Browning, so if you get a Henry that works ok, good nuff. And the cheapest Henry functions exactly like and shoots just as good as the most expensive one.

There is no substitute for a Winchester 9422
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta
Well, they are all potmetal including the Browning, so if you get a Henry that works ok, good nuff. And the cheapest Henry functions exactly like and shoots just as good as the most expensive one.

Just got one, 9422M.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 01:55 AM

BL-22
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 01:58 AM

I love my Henry. They are very nice rifles, and the brass one's aren't pot metal. Made in America and typically have very good wood and fit and finish. That said, if money were no object, I'd get a winchester.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 02:12 AM

This is what I thought too, then I got a Marlin.

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by leswad

This is what I thought too, then I got a Marlin.

OP said favorite one currently being produced.

Edit...ok, I thought Miroku was making the 9422. Upon further research, I was wrong. Both the Marlin and winchester are no longer being produced. Hey, Ruger! How about bringing back the 39a?!
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 11:20 AM

BL-22
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 11:30 AM

I have a 1951 Marlin 39A peanut ... but the 39A hasn't made in a while and the good older ones like mine are really getting scarce.

I have no use for any Henry of any size. The base model has a painted facade covering a cast receiver. The brass ones are just gaudy. Hernrys are made for looks as first priority but they are USA made and have a good warranty.

The current production criteria really puts a limit on the topic. If it weren't for that I would say get a Winchester or Marlin.

Rossi makes one and the current parent company is making really good rifles since the revamp almost three years ago.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 07:36 PM

No experience with new production, but it's hard to beat a Marlin 39 with the Win 9422 as second choice. I've had a 39A since I was 14 (68 now) and it still works and shoots as good as new after a LOT of rounds through it. Too bad they have got so stupid expensive when you can even find one.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 07:48 PM

I have a 39A and a 9422. I just can’t decide which one I like better. Lately I’ve been leaning more toward the 9422. A brother has a Henry, and it’s nice, but not as nice as what I have. And the wife has a BL-22 Micro which is nice, but too small for me to use.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 08:03 PM

My Henry H001 hands down
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 09:49 PM

I have shot each major brand and I choose the Browning.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 10:24 PM

Remington speedmaster is where it’s at. Oh, wait, they are gone too. No one wants to pay for both quality of worksmanship AND quality of materials. So we got what we got

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 10:25 PM

And you can call me crazy I don’t really care, Savage is the absolute best value in a .22 rifle and the cheapest Savage 64f goes for about $130 with a steel receiver. I think the magazine/well are pot metal though, and trigger is not great.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 10:25 PM

Oops. I put H003 above and meant H001
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
BL-22

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/26/22 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Remington speedmaster is where it’s at. Oh, wait, they are gone too. No one wants to pay for both quality of worksmanship AND quality of materials. So we got what we got

I have the Speedmaster's older cousin. The Remington 550. Great rifle...but it's not a lever.

And you can call me crazy I don’t really care, Savage is the absolute best value in a .22 rifle and the cheapest Savage 64f goes for about $130 with a steel receiver. I think the magazine/well are pot metal though, and trigger is not great.

Still not a lever...
Posted By: scot

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
My Henry H001 hands down

Would have to agree. They still don’t have a safety right?

Whichever you get I’d recommend the Henry, make sure it is rated to shoot .22 shorts. Suppressor quiet and no paper work required.

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

I have the Speedmaster's older cousin. The Remington 550. Great rifle...but it's not a lever.

Still not a lever...

Sorry friend, as soon as i was reminded about the ZAMAC receivers Henry uses I went full retard over it. But I could probably settle for a Henry in a lever .22, not much other choice in current production. Rossi uses some mystery metal in their lever action .22 as well.

At least Henry hasn’t hidden the zinc alloy from us, supposedly it is the highest grade and longest lasting, most corrosion resistant grade of ZAMAC available. But it just turns me off because I know they picked ZAMAC because it’s cheaper to buy and easier to cast and machine, yet you still pay a premium price. They do offer a cheaper version but it has a zinc barrel band connecting the barrel to the tube. That’s taking it too far imo.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 06:13 AM

I bought a Browning BL-22 about 50 years ago. This was back when a 500 ct brick of 22 LR ammo cost $4.99. I can not begin to count the number of bricks I went thru over the years. My son and grandchild still enjoy it. I especially love the short lever throw as it can approach the speed of a semi auto but be more flexible with ammo.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 08:33 AM

I have a Winchester 9422 and then found a Win-Tuff 9422M and thought I was done. I ordered a Henry 22 simply because it would chamber shorts, something my 9422 has issues with at times even though it says that it will.

Haven't had a single hiccup with the Henry, 21rds of shorts and decent open sights that are accurate at 35-40yds, enough for me to kill a coon or fox trying to get in the hen house. I ended up ordering one for each of the kids and the GF.

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Still not a lever...

Sorry friend, as soon as i was reminded about the ZAMAC receivers Henry uses I went full retard over it. But I could probably settle for a Henry in a lever .22, not much other choice in current production. Rossi uses some mystery metal in their lever action .22 as well.

At least Henry hasn’t hidden the zinc alloy from us, supposedly it is the highest grade and longest lasting, most corrosion resistant grade of ZAMAC available. But it just turns me off because I know they picked ZAMAC because it’s cheaper to buy and easier to cast and machine, yet you still pay a premium price. They do offer a cheaper version but it has a zinc barrel band connecting the barrel to the tube. That’s taking it too far imo.

Can't disagree with you on that zinc crap. I can only hope that Ruger/Marlin revitalizes the old 39a. I snap up a new one in a heartbeat.
Posted By: AP2714

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 01:04 PM

I'd like to try a Henry sone day. I think they look great, but feel cheap to me after handling my 9422's. I'm sure I'll get one before long.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 01:17 PM

Isn’t there an Italian company making 39A copies? Pretty sure I saw that somewhere recently.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 10:36 PM

After all these posts, I looked at the marlin and Winchester on one of the gun trader sites. eek2
Boy, what they are asking for them.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 10:55 PM

Hadn't shot or owned one
2 different friends bought the Henry 22's and I handled both.
The actions worked smooth enough. I haven't heard any feedback
from either one as far as problems so far
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 11:26 PM

I'd rather not have a lever 22 than shoot any of the ugly azz rifles currently being made by Browning or Henry.
Give me a 100 year old Marlin.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Favorite.22 lever action - 04/27/22 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Isn’t there an Italian company making 39A copies? Pretty sure I saw that somewhere recently.

Chiappa
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum