Texas Hunting Forum

Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these?

Posted By: MortgageMan

Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 04/19/22 06:55 PM

Bear Creek Arsenal makes a 22 WMR upper that can be paired with an AR-15 lower. Anyone have one of these and, if so, how do you like it?
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 04/19/22 09:17 PM

I have one, looks well done, but I haven't had time to get to the range with it yet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MortgageMan

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 04/25/22 06:28 PM

After reading reviews I decided to buy the upper. Looks like a good piece for the money. No tax and free shipping from Bear Creek Arsenal. Next step is to attach the fore end grip, red dot, and to the range.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 04/29/22 04:49 PM

I had the Bear Creek .22 Magnum out to the range this morning. Too windy to do any 100yd shooting for group size, but the accuracy it showed at 50yds is promising. It shot every bit as well as my older Ray-Vin upper.

I paired mine with a PSA lower and didn't have any functioning issues with either ammo (Fiocchi and CCI, both 40gr)

Based on this one, for the money spent, I think the upper is a good value, if you like AR15s and the .22 Magnum

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 04/29/22 07:51 PM

Today I see they are offering a 10.5" upper in .22 WMR... maybe I should set one up to run on one of my SBR lowers with my 5.56 silencer... smile ani
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/04/22 12:07 PM

Dang...didn't know these were made/available! Love the .22 WMR round. Definitely going to check into this.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/05/22 02:54 AM

Did you use a forged lower or billet? Wondering if it matters which one.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/05/22 04:51 AM

PSA forged lower in my case.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/06/22 01:19 AM

Thanks. Looking for a forged lower now, going to build one soon!

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/06/22 08:22 PM

My pistol length upper arrived today. I had this lower waiting... more range time next week!

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/07/22 12:31 AM

I got my PSA lower today. Thinking about getting the 16" upper and selling my RPR 22 mag. That pistol sure looks good though. Let me know how it runs!

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/08/22 04:49 AM

Changed my mind, ordered the pistol upper since I have a .224 Valkyrie setup already in 16" and have a Romeo 5 ready to install on the new .22 mag AR. Just need a SB3 brace now and a folding stock adapter.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/12/22 02:21 PM

Just got back from the range.

Happy to report that the 10.5" upper ran perfect with both brands of ammo (CCI and Fiocchi).

I'm quite pleased with the accuracy as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/13/22 06:43 AM

Awesome news. Got the mags in today for the pistol and the other lower for the rifle. Will be ordering the rifle upper in a few days. Pistol upper should be here tomorrow or Monday.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/15/22 06:57 AM

Pistol upper came in yesterday. Got it all together today and will be testing out tomorrow. Also decided I wanted both, so the rifle upper gets ordered today. Can use the pistol to train for my other pistol [.223] and the rifle to train for the .224 V AR I have.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/15/22 01:20 PM

Looks good... but are your sights mounted backwards?

Some folks at RFC had trouble with bolt catching on a LaRue hammer.

Both of mine are running on lowers using the PSA EPT trigger/hammer, and I haven't tried either of mine with any other hammer profile.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/15/22 03:36 PM

Yeah, almost everything I do is different from most. I have them set up exactly 180 degrees from what everyone else does. They are easier to deploy quickly for me this way and the triangle sight up front has been rotated to work this way. Also the smaller aperture can be pulled backwards instead of rotated forwards when I want the bigger opening. I just find it easier this way.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/15/22 05:48 PM

I am using the Rave 140 curved triggers on all my ARs. 3.5 single stage pull with no take up to speak of. Love them. Great for target shooting.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/16/22 08:35 PM

I had the time to try both of my uppers on a lower with a Rock River Varmint FCG. No cycling issues with either one.

I opened up a couple of my centerfire guns with the LaRue MBT2S FCG, and right away noticed the rear of that hammer is noticeably squarer, with a slightly rounded top edge, and it is higher in the cocked position compared to the PSA and RRA hammers. I can see how that might not get along with the tall, square shoulder on the underside of the BCA bolt, so I didn't bother trying one of my BCA uppers on those.

I have a couple others with Rise Armament FCGs, so I'll try one of those later as well.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/17/22 05:47 PM

Tried my uppers on lowers with Rise Armament RA-140 triggers, and no issues.

I also tried them on a lower with the MBT-2s just to confirm they do not play well together.

I like LaRue's FCG, but it is not installed in every AR I own, so this is not a deal-breaker for me. I will likely replace both of the PSA EPTs with a Rise Armament or Rock River, now that I know the uppers work well, as those lowers will be dedicated to the .22 WMR uppers.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/18/22 12:10 PM

Good deal, I have RA 140s on mine. Decided to wait until I get the rifle upper to shoot the pair together since lawn work took me until dusk Sunday. Then the storm knocked out power for 26 hours and downed a hackberry tree. Have to clean that up this weekend IF I get time.
Posted By: George S

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/18/22 08:17 PM

I'd MUCH rather have one in .17HMR!

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/20/22 07:50 PM

Had my pistol upper back to the range this morning with some of Hornady's Critical Defense 45gr ammunition.

No failures of any kind and accuracy was good. It shot a bit to the right compared to the CCI 40gr, but still on the 8" steel at 25 yards.

I was using it on an SBR lower that has a Rock River Varmint FCG, and no issues there.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/29/22 10:52 PM

Got to go next door and shoot today. Awesome experience! Both the pistol and the rifle shot perfectly. I have the pistol on a PSA lower and the rifle upper on an Aero Precision lower. Both the the Rise Armament RA-140 drop in trigger. Absolutely a blast to shoot both of them! Ran about 5 mags through each one [50 rounds]. Now I have two trainers...one for the .223 pistol and one for the .224 V rifle.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/30/22 03:59 AM

That's awesome!

I have another pistol length coming, so I can have one with dot and one with a scope... these should cover all of my uses.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/30/22 02:43 PM

Hopefully this a sign that other mfgs will get into 22wmr. I like the round as I have a pistol and lever gun. Just cant bite on BCA as Ive heard of too many issues. Buddy and I built budget ARs - he went with BCA, I went with PSA (back before they really took off). The BCA was major turd, wouldnt run.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/31/22 12:03 PM

Very cool. I have a Romeo 5 on the pistol upper and a Sniper 4-16x44 on the rifle upper. It's the same combo I am using on the .223 and .224 versions. I really wish they were all side chargers, surely do like that versus the rear chargers.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 05/31/22 12:07 PM

I felt that way about Taurus striker fired pistols, had two PT-111's that had the same issue of not running and have heard many stories of others having the same issue. My favorite handgun is a Taurus though....a 942 in .22 WMR...it's a blast to shoot.

I have heard of zero issues with either one of these products and I did a search on them before buying. Really glad I did.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/05/22 02:40 AM

FedEx delivered my third (2nd pistol-length) upper today, and it appears to be just as well done as the other two.

To me, these really seem to be a great-value option in the AR world.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/06/22 03:33 AM

Awesome. Can't tell you how much fun these ARs are in that round, but then again, I don't need to! grin

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/10/22 04:16 PM

Took my youngest grandson to the range this morning, and he really liked shooting the short WMR uppers on one of my SBR lowers. This second pistol upper works and shoots as well as the first, so now I am three for three! smile ani

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/11/22 01:09 PM

Nice line-up!
Posted By: Alan D

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/12/22 02:30 AM

I just ordered the 16” side charging one. They came out with a normal charging handle version as well and it’s on sale for $325.

BTW if you have id.me you can get 5% off.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/12/22 03:11 AM

I love the side chargers. Just got a new mount for my scope and finished the 16" target rifle. I have the exact same setup on the .224 Valkyrie AR so I can train with the 22 mag.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/12/22 03:21 AM

Nicely done!

I'm good with the side chargers too.
Posted By: Alan D

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/18/22 05:02 PM

Mine showed up yesterday about 30 minutes after I had left to go to the range.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HAM'R TIME

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/22/22 01:02 PM

If they made at least a 20 round magazine I would be in. I have an M&P 15-22 and a Tippmann M4-22 Elite. Both have 25 round magazines and that isn't enough. Too much fun double tapping and finishing with a short mag dump.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 06/26/22 04:42 PM

Decided on keeping the rifle and letting the pistol upper go. Listed in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Going to build another AR rifle in another caliber instead.
Posted By: 65x55

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 07/26/22 11:02 PM

Noticed they have a 20" stainless steel barreled upper now. I could see getting one at some point down the line.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 10/31/22 12:06 PM

I am about to change the handguard on mine to match my other ARs. Going with the Atlas 1. I also mounted a Sig Romeo 5 on it and sold the scope.

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 11/02/22 03:35 AM

Well dang, the Atlas 1 will not fit the BCA upper. Going to have to save it for another build.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 11/11/22 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by George S
I'd MUCH rather have one in .17HMR!

Your wish is their command.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/17...t-length-blowback-15-mlok-sch-upper.html

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR Upper-Anyone have one of these? - 12/09/22 06:23 PM

I modified an Atlas S1 handguard to fit my 16" and got another AERO lower to round out the matched set. Of course the BCA upper is not Aero, nor will a standard handguard for an AR-15 fit it, until it met my Dremel. Dropped a few ounces and now all three of my ARs have the same handguard.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum