Texas Hunting Forum

Caliber choices / consolidation

Posted By: Sewer rat

Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 08:19 AM

I used to really enjoy a wide variety of calibers. Back when you could go to the gun shop and buy ammo in any caliber you wanted at a reasonable price and it was always in stock it was fun to have a wide variety even when they overlapped a lot in purpose. I rarely had more than one gun in the same caliber.

Now with the ammo situation it seems to make a lot of sense to consolidate calibers. For example I used to have 380, 9, 40, & 45 handguns and some ammo for all them. I decided on the 9 and sold off the other guns and ammo. Now I have only 9mm handguns and ammo.

I am looking at doing the same on the rifle front. I have a half dozen calibers that for the most part are interchangeable. It is rare to be able to go into the store and find ammo for any of them though I have some stockpiled for each. I am not at all trying to say what is the best caliber but something like a 270 will be adequate for virtually anything the average hunter will shoot. If the 270 is what you like what sense does it really make to own a 243 and 30-06? Or if you like the 30-06 why own the 243 & 270?
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 10:54 AM

I have one pickup and one wife

I’m going to have a different rifle every time I go to the stand.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

roflmao
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 11:21 AM

Kinda like Lays Potato chips ...One is never enough!
I look at each firearm as in its least form to be an investment.
As I'm knee deep in the reloading game, it's just another set of dies and some brass.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 11:27 AM

Shooting prairie dogs with a .270 is going to be unpleasant.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 01:12 PM

If you are planning on picking up ammo at the store, I recommend 308&223. That seems to be the only ammo that is consistently available right now and it will do all 99.99% of us need. Good luck
Posted By: Graycard

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 01:21 PM

That is the main reason I have not tried certain cartridges. (6.5 C) I just don't want to have to collect more dies, bullets, and brass.
I may have cut back on cartridges but that has not stopped me from getting more firearms. Everyone needs six HAM'Rs!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RJH1
If you are planning on picking up ammo at the store, I recommend 308&223. That seems to be the only ammo that is consistently available right now and it will do all 99.99% of us need. Good luck

Reason I finally broke down and got a 308, never been a fan of that round.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 01:57 PM

Everyone needs a small, medium, large.

I need to write all this up, because it will be pretty lengthy. But the short version:

For your small, a .223 Rem/5.56mm, .22-250, .224 Valkrie, ect, ect

For your medium, .243, 6mm Creedmoor, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308

For your large, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 28 Nosler, .300 Win Mag, .300 PRC, the short mags fit as well.

Blend any three cartridges together, and you have all your bases covered. Lots of people are getting down to just the three rifles. Getting loads developed for each rifle, and ammo made just right for them. Pick up the right tool for the job and go do whatever it is you want to do. You can even run one really good scope on all three rifles, when set up properly.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 02:03 PM

Speaking of....
Will .284 Winchester cycle / fit a Rem Short action?
I think it may be a bit long...just wondering?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 02:03 PM

One of the long time discussed most versatile rounds is the 30-06. Never even shot one till 2 years ago but really like it so far shot several deer. Used ammo from reduced 125 grain the my son and nephews have shot to full bore 180’-220’s.

Like lefty said one truck one woman I’m happy to have a few rifles.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blanco
Speaking of....
Will .284 Winchester cycle / fit a Rem Short action?
I think it may be a bit long...just wondering?

Depends on your bullet choice...120/140's should fit, 180's will be stuffed a bunch to make mag length.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 02:57 PM

I currently have a 243, 7mm-08, and two 30-06s. Want to get a 223 or 22-250.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 03:06 PM

It's a very thought provoking question.

I've always looked at firearms as being tools built for a specific purpose but with lots of possibilities in mind. For example, there are guns designed primarily for hunting while others work best for personal protection. So if you're looking to consolidate, you might follow the same approach and decide which ones you want to keep for a given purpose or need.

Large, medium, and small game, short range, long range, personal carry and home defense are just a few of the purposes that come to mind. Obviously, the ones that satisfy multiple needs and use ammo that's easier to find are the better choices to keep.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by yotehater

I had a Straight Jacket put on my 270 and cooked up a load of 52.6 grains of H4831 pushing a 110 grain V-MAX at 2980fps. It's a laser and has surprised and disappointed a whole lot of vermin around CenTex. And, since I rotate rifles when I hunt prairie dogs, the 270 always has a turn in the rotation. With the rifle's weight and the light load, it's pretty comfortable to shoot 20-30 rounds. (It's always fun to get back to the Wylde and the Valkyrie!)

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mikei

I had a Straight Jacket put on my 270 and cooked up a load of 52.6 grains of H4831 pushing a 110 grain V-MAX at 2980fps. It's a laser and has surprised and disappointed a whole lot of vermin around CenTex. And, since I rotate rifles when I hunt prairie dogs, the 270 always has a turn in the rotation. With the rifle's weight and the light load, it's pretty comfortable to shoot 20-30 rounds. (It's always fun to get back to the Wylde and the Valkyrie!)

Yeah, tote that around elk hunting. I had a 90 grain TNT load that was like that, you might get off on one or two prairie dogs before they all went deep. It was devastating on coyotes but not enough for deer.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 03:42 PM

Oh and i have a 30-30.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 05:45 PM

How many people shoot prairie dogs? I think it would be cool but don't have the place to go nor am I going to pay to go do it. I would guess the average hunter shoots deer and pigs. If you are into shooting prairie dogs sure get a gun tailored for that. Likewise if you hunt large African game or grizzly bears get a large gun for that.

I am just thinking one caliber makes a lot more sense in today's environment. Note I didn't say one gun. Multiple rifles in the same caliber are cool. Maybe a lightweight rifle for packing in, a heavy barrel one, maybe an AR platform, etc.

I want to stockpile ammo and the fewer calibers I have to stockpile the better.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 05:49 PM

Multiple rifles in the same caliber might be fine for a non-reloader. I prefer just the opposite. Sounds like you need a .308 or 7.62x39 for your simple needs.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 06:00 PM

Rifles I've owned over the last 40 years. If I had to consolidate it would be the .243, .22wmr and a 20 guage shotgun that stay. These would suffice for what I hunt in my area.
22-250
7.62 x 54r
303 British
6.5 x 50

Of course the
standard
22 S,L,LR
.17 hmr
.22 WMR
Posted By: Erich

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 06:00 PM

i've always enjoyed a variety of rifles. and even though i don't really hunt a wide variety of game i've enjoyed the small/med/lager caliber diversity. i have a .22mag/.223/.243/.270/.3006/.4570. i could easily do all of my hunting with the .270....and if i had to narrow down to one thats the one i'd shoot. the .223 gets shot very little anymore, the .243 is the kids rifle and the wife when she shoots. the .270 was my standby although i've been enjoying hte .3006 lately. the 4570 is a lever/action cowboy style rifle. its just fun. my dad has one rifle and one only though and he's gotten along just fine for his entire hunting career. one .280rem.

i've always tried to stay with very stock/commonly available (at one time) calibers. i've never gotten into the wide variety of more newly developed stuff. even the old standbys are hard to find now though.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 11:21 PM

I"ve wandered around in the Western States hunting various game and non-game animals. What I have noticed is that, wherever I am west of the Mississippi River, I can find factory ammunition in sporting goods stores, feed stores, hardware stores and "general stores" for 30-30, 30-06, and .270. I reload, so ammo is rarely a problem, but if you get your butt in a bind for ammo, if you have a rifle in one of those three calibers, chances are you'll be able to find what you need.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 01/31/22 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

That's a beautiful outlook on life right there!!
Posted By: Coach1045

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/01/22 01:15 AM

Calibers and weaponry will always be preferential based on the individual in a comfortable environment. Anything more, common sense as to what is carried by the oppressor applies.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 02:27 PM

You can even run one really good scope on all three rifles, when set up properly.

How would one set this up properly to do. I’m interested possibly.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cbump
You can even run one really good scope on all three rifles, when set up properly.

Pic rail on every rifle.

Night Force Ultralite rings.

Zero to rifle "A". Move to rifle "B" shoot, adjust, shoot to zero. Write down the moves. Repeat for rifle "C"

This is with a turreted scope. Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA. (But friends don't let friends use MOA)
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Pic rail on every rifle.

Zero to rifle "A". Move to rifle "B" shoot, adjust, shoot to zero. Write down the moves. Repeat for rifle "C"

This is with a turreted scope. Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA. (But friends don't let friends use MOA)

Once you have your moves down, will it be consistent every time you move the scope...consistent enough that you don't have to take a few shots to re-zero? I ask this because not everyone has an 800 yard range in their front yard to zero whenever they want. For me, it is a 1.5 hour drive to your place (800 yards), or a 1.5 hour drive to the Ranch (200 yards). Or I could go to Frisco Gun Club and pay $30 for a half hour on the rifle range with a not very sturdy shooting table. In theory, one really nice scope for three rifles is great. It reality, for most of us, it does not make sense.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 03:10 PM

Pic rail on every rifle.

Funny Guy

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Pic rail on every rifle.

Once you have your moves down, will it be consistent every time you move the scope...consistent enough that you don't have to take a few shots to re-zero? I ask this because not everyone has an 800 yard range in their front yard to zero whenever they want. For me, it is a 1.5 hour drive to your place (800 yards), or a 1.5 hour drive to the Ranch (200 yards). Or I could go to Frisco Gun Club and pay $30 for a half hour on the rifle range with a not very sturdy shooting table. In theory, one really nice scope for three rifles is great. It reality, for most of us, it does not make sense.

I have been 0, or within .2 Mil at 100 yards.
I still say shoot it to be sure. If it's off, it won't be by much.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 07:55 PM

I certainly am not doubting what you are saying but intuitively I wouldn’t think mounting to a Pic rail would be that repeatable. I just think of tiny moves at the scope equaling big moves on the target at distance.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/02/22 08:43 PM

3 guns, 3 scopes and be done with it.
No fiddling around with anything.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I certainly am not doubting what you are saying but intuitively I wouldn’t think mounting to a Pic rail would be that repeatable. I just think of tiny moves at the scope equaling big moves on the target at distance.

Well, I have done it about 200 times.
So there's that.

Think it works, or not. No swear off my back.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956

Some people's scope standards mean you just spent $3000 to $9000
Instead of $1000 to $3000

Not everyone has that kind of budget.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:35 AM

Looks like the OP is talking hunting guns so $1K+ scopes are not in the discussion, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:53 AM

So there's that.

I’m sure you have. Seriously. I am not at all doubting you. I hope the way I wrote it didn’t come across wrong. All I meant was it doesn’t seem like it would work but I believe you that it does.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:56 AM

Looks like the OP is talking hunting guns so $1K+ scopes are not in the discussion, unless I'm reading it wrong.

There are plenty of hunters, and plenty of THF members that spent $1k, and well above on scopes they use for hunting. Probably at least half the people we are talking about. So yes, it is in the discussion.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:59 AM

So there's that.

I’m sure you have. Seriously. I am not at all doubting you. I hope the way I wrote it didn’t come across wrong. All I meant was it doesn’t seem like it would work but I believe you that it does.

Why wouldn't it work?

Rail never leaves the rifle. Rings hold the scope the same, all the time. The Weaver style connection is as solid as it gets.

AR guys use QD (Quick Detach) mounts for day optic, and switch to NV or Thermal. Those typically have levers. The rings with the Weaver style clamp, cross bolts, and nuts are even stronger, and even more repeatable. Especially if the nuts are torqued with a torque wrench.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 02:04 AM

You just said not everyone has that kind of budget? I'd never swap a scope from gun to gun without shooting it first to verify Zero. Especially in a hunting situation wouldn't want to miss or worst yet wound and loose a trophy animal.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 02:26 AM

I have a few centerfire rifles...not many. .22-250, .257, 270 and .300 win.

Really only the .300 win and the .257 see any use anymore and out of the two the .300 is in my hand 7 out of 10 times. I took the .257 out once this year and let a buddy miss a coyote and a pig with it.

I'm happy with my battery but If i had to whittle down to the .270 and .300 win i would be fine, and probably happy

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 01:58 PM

You just said not everyone has that kind of budget? I'd never swap a scope from gun to gun without shooting it first to verify Zero. Especially in a hunting situation wouldn't want to miss or worst yet wound and loose a trophy animal.

You suck at reading comprehension.

I said some people have high standards for their optics. One Alpha scope to use on three rifles is cheaper than three Alpha scopes. I also explained how to move the scope, check zero and take notes. I also said to shoot it at paper before hunting with it.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 02:27 PM

I could hunt just about anything I want with a 223 and 308 Win/7-08.

I'm not hunting dangerous game. A guide might take offense with me using a 308/7-08 on nilgai but I'm sure it would work with proper bullets.
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 02:36 PM

Pic rail on every rifle.

Could go old school and use a Bausch & Lomb with adjustable mounts.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 03:45 PM

So there's that.

Why wouldn't it work?

Rail never leaves the rifle. Rings hold the scope the same, all the time. The Weaver style connection is as solid as it gets.

AR guys use QD (Quick Detach) mounts for day optic, and switch to NV or Thermal. Those typically have levers. The rings with the Weaver style clamp, cross bolts, and nuts are even stronger, and even more repeatable. Especially if the nuts are torqued with a torque wrench.

I am aware of the QD mounts. I have them on one of my rifles but I never take them off. I thought the same thing when I was installing them - if I take this off will it be the same when I put it back?. I haven’t done the math but I assume the tiniest movement at the scope makes a big difference in point of impact at 100,200, 300 yards whatever. When putting scopes on a pic rail it always feels like there is some movement before it is clamped down. Not a lot but some. It just seems that it could possibly be clamped down in a slightly different position each time. Maybe not though. I have never removed one, put it back, shot and compared. That is why I was saying I believe you when you say it is repeatable. I was just saying my gut feel from mounting scopes makes me think it wouldn’t be.
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 03:53 PM

I currently have
22lr
22-250
7mm Rem Mag
28 Nosler
30-06
300 Wby
338 Win Mag

If I HAD to consolidate I would go with 22-250/28 Nosler/338 Win mag

But I plan on collecting more. Just my personal opinion more is better.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 03:53 PM

On the majority of my rifles I would say the scope cost more than the rifle did.

The original intent of my thread isn’t so much about budget but about availability and strategy, a few years ago when one could stroll into any gun shop or go to any website and buy virtually any ammo they wanted it was one thing but now that is definitely not the case and I think it is smart to consider that when selecting rifles.

Lets say I want to buy 3000 rounds to keep as a stockpile. If I have rifles in six different calibers then that is 500 rounds each. I might run out of ammo before too long if one of those calibers I shoot more. On the other hand if I settle on one caliber and buy 3000 rounds for it that should last a really long time. If I don’t go crazy target shooting that could conceivably be a lifetime supply of ammo.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 04:15 PM

I am aware of the QD mounts. I have them on one of my rifles but I never take them off. I thought the same thing when I was installing them - if I take this off will it be the same when I put it back?. I haven’t done the math but I assume the tiniest movement at the scope makes a big difference in point of impact at 100,200, 300 yards whatever. When putting scopes on a pic rail it always feels like there is some movement before it is clamped down. Not a lot but some. It just seems that it could possibly be clamped down in a slightly different position each time. Maybe not though. I have never removed one, put it back, shot and compared. That is why I was saying I believe you when you say it is repeatable. I was just saying my gut feel from mounting scopes makes me think it wouldn’t be.

If there is slack in the pic rail notches, scoot the optic mount forward. Under recoil, that's where scopes and mounts slip to. It is counterintuitive, but they do. The rifle slides out from under the optic and mount, if there is slack. It is pretty standard procedure for some guys to put the little plastic covers over the pic rail slots they do not use. It tells then exactly which notches the mount needs to go back to. Mount in the notches, scoot forward, close the levers. Much of this has to do with the quality of the optic mount. The upper end brands exceed $200. But in scope moving on and off a rifle, consistency is the name of the game.

Re: Caliber choices / consolidation - 02/03/22 04:19 PM

On the majority of my rifles I would say the scope cost more than the rifle did.

The original intent of my thread isn’t so much about budget but about availability and strategy, a few years ago when one could stroll into any gun shop or go to any website and buy virtually any ammo they wanted it was one thing but now that is definitely not the case and I think it is smart to consider that when selecting rifles.

Lets say I want to buy 3000 rounds to keep as a stockpile. If I have rifles in six different calibers then that is 500 rounds each. I might run out of ammo before too long if one of those calibers I shoot more. On the other hand if I settle on one caliber and buy 3000 rounds for it that should last a really long time. If I don’t go crazy target shooting that could conceivably be a lifetime supply of ammo.

Watching loading components for 11 years. Especially the last two years, if you want to stay supplied, .224" bullets and .30 cal bullets have pretty much been available. I love 6.5mm and 7mm, but we are in trouble with bullet availability right now.

So for survival purposes, .223 Rem, .308 Win, and .300 Win Mag would be a good list of three. A small, medium, and a large.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum