Texas Hunting Forum

Sako S20 Hunter

Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 02:55 PM

Seriously considering getting a Sako S20 Hunter in .308 as my next rifle purchase. Will be used for hunting in the lower 48 up to and including Elk.

I don't recall reading a bad review on these from the typical reviewers, but wondering if anyone here has any first-hand experience with one and what your impressions are/were.

I like the fact the bases are milled into the receiver. I like detachable mags on hunting rifles as well. The 20" barrel is ideal to me in a .308 hunting rifle.

I reload and can tailor custom loads to the rifle, so not worried about finding what factory ammo it likes the best.

Will be topped with a Burris scope. No, I don't like or want a Vortex.

TIA
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 03:15 PM

I almost bought one in 7mm Rem Mag. I too liked the base, I'm a fan of less components to stack onto tolerances. I passed, just couldn't fall in love with hat stock. I had developed enough confidence that I was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase, until I got my hands on one at Scheels. I had no reason to believe it wouldn't be a great shooter.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 03:49 PM

My LGS has three in stock, 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM, and I'm not sure what the third was. I couldn't get past the stock for that $, and the length with the long barrels was a deterrent as I'll be suppressed 100% of the time. A 20" would be intriguing but that still leaves the stock issue. All things being equal, I'd buy a Tikka CTR and save the extra $500. You get a detachable mag and as well as it's put on, the pic rail might as well be built in.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 04:13 PM

No comment on the Sako part. Love the 308 as a caliber choice. I am totally a 308 fanboy and think it will do great for your intended purposes, from both handloading and factory ammo.

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 04:19 PM

I've handled them at Scheels and actually like the thumbhole-style stocks. I already have a CTR in 6.5 Creed and it's great, have loved every Tikka i've owned, but never owned a Sako. The S20 would save a little over 1/2 a pound in weight (7.8 CTR vs 7.1 S20), which could make a difference as I won't just be stand/blind hunting with it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 04:20 PM

Never seen a Sako or Tikka that didn't shoot sub-MOA on a hand load.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Precision_Shooter
I've handled them at Scheels and actually like the thumbhole-style stocks. I already have a CTR in 6.5 Creed and it's great, have loved every Tikka i've owned, but never owned a Sako. The S20 would save a little over 1/2 a pound in weight (7.8 CTR vs 7.1 S20), which could make a difference as I won't just be stand/blind hunting with it.

I liked the design of the stock, but the finish was just so shiny and hard. The 2 weights I saw were 7.5 and 7.2 so not much difference. I bet the Sako will shoot like a dream. If they made a PRC in a 20-22" I might be persuaded!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 04:57 PM

definite buy

get free stock too
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 08:43 PM

Co-worker has one and I really like it. He chopped the barrel down and had it threaded and I like it even more.

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/14/22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
Co-worker has one and I really like it. He chopped the barrel down and had it threaded and I like it even more.

He must have gotten the 24" model and then had barrel chopped and rethreaded. I'm looking to get the 20" and it's already threaded as well.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Sako S20 Hunter - 01/15/22 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Precision_Shooter
Originally Posted by aggiehunter03

He must have gotten the 24" model and then had barrel chopped and rethreaded. I'm looking to get the 20" and it's already threaded as well.

Yeah he didn’t listen. I think his is 18” now though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum