Texas Hunting Forum

Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue?

Posted By: tenyearsgone

Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 03:39 PM

The 5.56 Rainier Select barrel on one of my AR’s is worn out and in need of replacement. I’ve bought 3 LaRue barrels in the past and all produce sub 1/2 moa groups with my hand loads. WC seems like a great company to do business with and I would like do give them more business. I have one of their 6.5 C barrels but haven’t shot it yet, so I have no idea of it’s accuracy potential that would guide me. I’m not a risk taker by nature so purchasing a 4th LaRue barrel seems like a logical choice.
Posted By: Graycard

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 03:45 PM

I'm just the opposite. I have bought several barrels from Wilson Combat and have been very happy with how they performed. I have not tried a LaRue product just because I have always thought Wilson's worked so well, why change?
Posted By: mikei

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 04:00 PM

I've got two of each; if my LaRue's should need replacement, I'd go to Wilson. The company, and all their employees come across as totally "customer focused," and I like that.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 04:34 PM

[Linked Image]

Three shot group @ 100 with my Wilson Combat .300 Ham’r shooting WC 130 grain Hot-Core ammo. I am guessing a good handloader (and good rifle driver) could tighten that up quite a bit. As mentioned above, WC excels in the customer service area. Have ordered a bunch of stuff from them, and the one item that was not right was corrected very quickly and to my benefit.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 05:30 PM

The answer is subjective for sure however Wilson and Larue are in the same category when accuracy is discussed..
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mikei
I've got two of each; if my LaRue's should need replacement, I'd go to Wilson. The company, and all their employees come across as totally "customer focused," and I like that.

Yea, Larue folks are "Richards".
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/27/21 05:41 PM

Yes, not every manufacturer makes their own barrels and there's a good chance that both came from the same supplier.

I have had multiples of both, no issues with either.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/28/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by David Maas
Yes, not every manufacturer makes their own barrels and there's a good chance that both came from the same supplier.

Pretty sure WC makes their own barrels. I remember a comment from Bill Wilson on a thread a few months back about purchasing some new machinery to increase their barrel production. Hopefully Bill will see this thread and comment.

Edit: Finally found it. Was back in April 2021:

Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Originally Posted by wtjim
Do you have a projected availability date for the 18" Bill Wilson Ranch barrel profile in 300 Ham'r?

Sorry I don't, we're sooo swamped with orders for 5.56 and 6.5CM that's taking up most of our production capacity right now. We just had another complete bbl mfg cell delivered last Fri with a 4 spindle gun drill and 2 spindle reamer, this should allow us to increase our production from the current 2800 bbls per month to a total of at least 6500 bbls per month once it's up and running in 2-3 weeks. As a FYI once we get back to running HAM'R bbls they will be 11.3", 16" Recon and 18" Tac Hunter since those are the best sellers. With the backlog we have now, we just can't afford the switch over time to do any short runs of less than 200 of a specific bbl.

Posted By: Graycard

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/28/21 03:18 PM

Yes, Wilson Combat makes their own barrels.

Now the question of the original post was backwards. The real question should be, "Are LaRue barrels as good as Wilson Combat's?" grin
Posted By: AP2714

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/28/21 05:00 PM

I've used criterion, white oak armament, ballistic advantage, and odin works for .223 wylde builds. Recently put together a 300 hamr wilson combat and its my most accurate barrel to date. Look forward to using more wilson combat barrels in the future.

As mentioned, wilson combat customer service is second to none IMO!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/28/21 07:27 PM

I own both…they’re the same quality but I would rate WC customer service much better than LaRue……
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/29/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I own both…they’re the same quality but I would rate WC customer service much better than LaRue……

+1
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/29/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Doesn't seem like I'd have to use their customer service from the great feedback I'm getting.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 12/30/21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by David Maas

We mfg the following calibers completely in-house from a bar of USA mfg 416R stainless: .223Wylde, 5.56, 6.5G, 6.5CM, .300BLK, 300HAM'R, .308Win, 7.62x40 and 9mm. All other calibers are made from premium grade stress relieved ER Shaw rifled blanks. Overall we mfg around 2500 barrels per month.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Are Wilson Combat barrels as good as LaRue? - 01/02/22 06:40 AM

Their customer service and shipping times are 1000000% better than Larue I can tell ya that fro
Experience.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum