Texas Hunting Forum

First AR15 purchase help

Posted By: dk2429

First AR15 purchase help - 11/16/21 10:56 PM

Will I be able to attach a flashlight in any way to a rifle with the plastic hand guard like in this link? https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ruger-ar-556-semi-auto-rifle

Or do I HAVE to get a rifle with a floating rail such as this one to accept a light? https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ruger-ar-556-semi-auto-rifle-with-free-float-handguard

After messing with some at some different stores I prefer the big plastic hand guard, but I know for sure I'd like to add a flashlight to the rail on whichever gun I decide to get. I also want to add a red dot

Thanks for any help!
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/16/21 11:11 PM

Definitely go with the free floating handguard with the MLOK. It is well worth the small upgrade price.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/16/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by okstatefan
Definitely go with the free floating handguard with the MLOK. It is well worth the small upgrade price.

I keep reading/hearing about M-LOK but still don't understand exactly what it is!

From my current gathered information, the floating rail will benifit me more although I like the feel of the plastic handguard more. I need that happy median!!!

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 01:04 AM

Looks like this M&P15 has a plastic hand guard that is also MLOK
Posted By: Earl

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 01:23 AM

MLOK is just a method of attachment of accessories to the handguard or rail - it was developed by Magpul. So you can find it on their plastic series of handguards. It's pretty much supplanted the keymod rail attachment design that came before it. Then there is the picatinny rail attachments that came before both of them. You can't go wrong with MLOK or Picatinny - the Magpul MLOK will be your cheapest and as you've noticed it comes on some of the S&W series (also some Colt) and also many other manufacturers.. Most manufacturers offer some version of MLOK or Picatinny these days.

For a basic first AR15 you can't go wrong with an M&P 15.

Earl

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 03:22 AM

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/di...-nato-16-in-rifle?sku=-223-rem-5-56-nato

Trying to decide now if the M&P/Ruger are worth the extra $100/$150 over the DB15 linked. Thats 100-150 bucks toward an even nicer red dot/light

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 04:03 AM

They (M&P/Ruger) are a better gun in my opinion than the DB15, but the DB15 will serve it's purpose too. Finding one in stock at that price might not always be easy. Also check out Scheels. They carry the gun at the same price when they have it in stock.

If price is a big factor, give Palmetto State Armory a look. Their PSA AR15's are even cheaper but still a very good buy. They often have sales on complete upper and complete lowers. Often it can be cheaper with PSA to buy them seperate and just snap them together. I've done this many times. For instance the two assemblies below will get you a complete gun for $440. Technically these are "blems" but I never notice anything on their blems that look out of place to me. Both of these feature mapul furniture, the mlok handguards, a magpul MBUS rear sight and you even get an upgraded trigger. Not bad features at all for a $440 AR in today's climate.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ble...e-upper-with-bcg-ch-rear-mbus-black.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-ar-15-complete-lower-magpul-moe-ept-edition-black.html

Posted By: BigPig

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 05:16 AM

Magpul sells a great option to replace that tapered in mastic handguard. It takes a few minutes to install and has Mlock rails on each side. You just need to know what length you need.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/hand-guards/ar15-m4-m16-ar10.html
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 07:55 AM

I kind of agree with Earl on the PSA purchase. If you can put together your own rifle you will actually save money because you can customize it right off the bat. What you dont want to do is spend $800 on a rifle and then decide you dont like the stock or handguard or whatever. Then you buy a new stock to replace the stock you just paid for. Money wasted in my opinion.

The most important items of your AR will be the barrel trigger and optic. I would spend all or most of your money on buying these 3 items.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 12:33 PM

Don't get a plastic handguard without mlok if you want to attach stuff. Either S&W or Ruger make a good starter AR. My current AR is a Ruger MPR and I like it a lot.
Posted By: Dzhitshard

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 01:19 PM

Highly advise NOT buying PSA blem parts for your first AR.

The blems are not all cosmetic and someone who doesn’t know what they are looking at or have other parts they can compare them to can run into some complex issues.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 09:28 PM

Everyone has different experiences. I've never had any issues whatsoever with their BLEMs but that's just me. Non Blem's won't run much higher there either.

If buying only local you can't go wrong with S&W or Ruger and the DB will get the job done for a bit cheaper. WIndham would also be worth a look if you found one priced right.

Earl

Originally Posted by Dzhitshard
Highly advise NOT buying PSA blem parts for your first AR.

The blems are not all cosmetic and someone who doesn’t know what they are looking at or have other parts they can compare them to can run into some complex issues.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/17/21 10:13 PM

As far as PSA goes, we have six of them. The five in 223/556 are a combination of the FN CHF barrels and two SS 223 Wylde. Never a problem with any of them and they are as accurate as we are. Most of them are pretty stock except LaRue MBT triggers. The other is in 6.5 Grendel. It had a misaligned gas block upon arrival. After about a two week turnaround it was back in hand and cycling flawlessly. Most of the time I grab a particular PSA build over my DDM4V7.
Posted By: Dzhitshard

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 12:05 AM

Sure, most are ok and I’m happy for everyone who got a functional piece but blems are blems for a reason and it’s not always anodizing color or scratched finishes.

3 PSA blems that crossed my desk in the last couple months are 2 with unfinished machining in the upper’s charging handle race and another had a bad magwell casting that wouldn’t take a mag. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Everyone needs to start somewhere but these are Probably not hurdles a first time AR owner needs to wrestle with.

It’s an opinion.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 01:46 AM

Got the Ruger AR556. Found it on sale at $699 and couldn’t say no.

Now a red dot and a flash light….

Attached picture D62DD1AB-B422-4045-8961-C04344ED4E6C.jpeg

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429

Solid purchase. I’d suggest the Streamlight TLR 1 HL mounted upside down on the top of the handguard. You can operate it with your off hand thumb this way. Plenty of light.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Solid purchase. I’d suggest the Streamlight TLR 1 HL mounted upside down on the top of the handguard. You can operate it with your off hand thumb this way. Plenty of light.

Listen to the Pig.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 02:58 AM

That's a good buy for sure, you'll be happy.

For red dots I like the Sig Romeo 5 or Holosun H403 - both are $150. They are decent red dots for the money. Not Trijicon MRO's or Accupoints but perfect for a budget AR.

Earl

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Earl
That's a good buy for sure, you'll be happy.

For red dots I like the Sig Romeo 5 or Holosun H403 - both are $150. They are decent red dots for the money. Not Trijicon MRO's or Accupoints but perfect for a budget AR.

Earl

Literally everyone at every gun shop I went to told me the Romeo 5. That’s what I’ll do

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 03:16 AM

This? https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69260-Weapon-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B00B8Q31UQ?th=1&psc=1
Posted By: 7o8

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 03:36 AM

That will work, I run the same on my AR...

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 04:21 AM

So I do have to buy some extra mounting stuff for it to go on an MLOK rail like the one I have? Or is that reason to go
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 10:30 AM

So I do have to buy some extra mounting stuff for it to go on an MLOK rail like the one I have? Or is that reason to go

As long as the accessory comes with the camming T nuts, its plug and play.

Those T nuts are sold separately too.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/18/21 06:06 PM

Nice carbine at a good price. The Romeo5 is hard to beat. I have two and am extremely pleased.

Re: First AR15 purchase help - 11/19/21 05:37 AM

This? https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69260-Weapon-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B00B8Q31UQ?th=1&psc=1

Yes sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum