Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Firearms

Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 05:32 PM

Just sitting here wandering through gun broker and I started to wonder what guns I owned that were my all time favorites. I’m talking about guns that I own that I wouldn’t sell at any price. For me it is my Mossberg 500 that my father gave me on my 13th birthday, my fathers old stevens single shot 12 gauge that was the first gun I ever shot and the Browning ABolt Medallion .243 that I bought for my son. He has taken about a dozen deer with that thing and I have been beside him for every one. None of the guns are “collector” pieces, but to me they are priceless.

What guns do you have that you feel that way about?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 05:58 PM

My grandpa’s Model 12 Win pump.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 06:33 PM

Remington 700 Varmint .308
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 06:47 PM

Remington 1100 that my dad gave me for 8th bday. Dropped countless doves and clays with it. I have 4 now. But the one he gave me I wouldn’t sell if someone offered my $5k. Can’t put a price on sentimental things IMO.

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fishing Fester
Remington 1100 that my dad gave me for 8th bday. Dropped countless doves and clays with it. I have 4 now. But the one he gave me I wouldn’t sell if someone offered my $5k. Can’t put a price on sentimental things IMO.

I completely agree
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fishing Fester

Agreed, it makes me sad though because I don’t have anyone that will care about inherited guns from me like I cared about them from my Gramps
Posted By: Gw123

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 08:18 PM

My mom and dad gave me a Remington 700 BDL 25-06 for my 16th birthday and I’ll never part with it for any dollar amount. A close second in the 700 BDL .243 they gave me for my 21st birthday. They were both personal firearms from a man who ran a little pawn shop down the road from our house who was a big Remington collector like my father and I
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 08:51 PM

My store brand single shot .22 - Westpoint on the barrel, but actually a Marlin 101.

Christmas gift from my Mom & Dad when I was 10
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 09:31 PM

Glenfield Model 30A that was my grandfather’s. The rest can be replaced.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 11:04 PM

Lever actions and pumps. Savage 99's and the Winchester and Marlin 30-30's The old Winchester tube fed 22's.and any pump shotgun.
Posted By: FTWshooter

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 11:49 PM

I inherited several firearms from my dad, grandfather, uncle and friends. I know which ones were there favorites and these are the ones I hold dear. I worry about what will happen to them when I am gone, my relatives don’t give two flying “f’s” about sentimental value.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/17/21 11:55 PM

Winchester 101. It was a Valentines gift from my wife when we were still dating in the early 1980s.
Posted By: RevolverFan

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 12:05 AM

They are all for sale besides my first 10/22
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 02:35 AM

Favorite one is a Browning Auto-Five “humpback” my wife surprised me with on our first wedding anniversary.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 03:02 AM

Oddly the one gun that’s got the most memories for me is my Rock River AR. My kids have taken 2 bucks, an aoudad, 5-6 hogs, and 3 doe. And no telling how many pigs and predators I’ve shot with it. It’s what I grab amy time I head to the ranch. The others were my grandfathers.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 03:31 AM

I have 3 guns that I wouldn’t want to sell. My ruger M77 .270, my dads mossberg pump and a Ruger Hawkeye in .22-250.

I won’t say that “ I won’t sell these for any amount of money” because that would be a lie, but it would have to be a whole lot. The .270 would be the hardest to sell.

In all honesty I think if someone offered me $50k for the .270 I would turn it down.

Posted By: MortgageMan

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 11:28 AM

My dad's Winchester Model 62. I shot it as a kid and it was always cleaned and wrapped up in cloth curtain and kept in his closet. Doesn't have a mark on it. He got it new as a gift in the 1930s. They don't make them like this one.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 02:03 PM

None are for sale and I have a safe full that I probably won’t ever shoot again. I don’t need the guns but also don’t need the money. Doubt that I’ll ever buy another one.

That said, butchered 1917 Eddystone that I killed my first deer, antelope and elk with. It’s been my go to gun for over 50 years. And the pre 64 Win 30-30 that took my first Az multie.
Posted By: Longhorn74

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 02:21 PM

It has to be my old 270 browning, that old thing has been with me for many years. As for a shotgun it’s my 16 gauge citori.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 03:16 PM

My Marlin 39A that I worked in my dad and mom's jewelry store and saved up enough to buy it when I was 12 (that was in 1965 and I just went to the hardware store and bought it and took it home with me). From the time I got it up until I got into the "fumes" (gas fumes and perfume) at 16 I killed everything in NW AR that ran, crawled, swam or flew, especially squirrels and ground hogs. This rifle is proof that you really can't shoot a .22 rimfire barrel out!!! This rifle is PRICELESS to me and I would never sell this gun. It's going to my most deserving grandson when I check out.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 04:04 PM

Everything I own is for sale at the right price. My 20ga Superposed would be tough to get.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 06:21 PM

Winchester model 92 saddle ring carbine, in 25-20. Manufactured in 1925. Was my uncle’s gun. Dad hunted with it, and it shot my first deer with when I was 12. Aunt knew how much that gun meant to me and gave it to me when my uncle passed. Has the sweetest trigger of any gun I’ve owned.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 11:33 PM

I’ve got a Win model 12 that was my grandpas and I loaned my Dad the gun that holds the first barrel (7-08) that ever came off my lathe both of those would be extremely difficult to buy.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/18/21 11:56 PM

My grandad gave me all of his guns, I don't think I could sell any of them. The Savage 99 in 243 or the Winchester 43 in 218 bee will be my favorites, they are the ones we carried when we hunted. I cannot pick either of those guns up without thinking of a time we had them out hunting which was darn near weekly, and I would never be able to price that. Thankfully my son likes guns and hunting, so he will have these when I'm gone.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/19/21 12:16 AM

My favorite guns...

Old Rossi Youth pump 22 rifle I got for Christmas when I was 7.
Old Savage Model 110 in 243.
Old Winchester Winchoke semi auto in 12 gauge.
Old High Standard Double 9 22 revolver.

These 4 guns hold a lot of sentimental value and I would never sell them, not for all the money in the world.

All the rest of my guns, even my favorites I could sell for the right price.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/19/21 01:45 AM

Marlin 1894 357
S&W 686 357
Ruger 10-22
Ruger 22-45
Ruger PC Carbine
Posted By: GrantW

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/26/21 11:11 AM

My Dads pre-64 Model 70 .270 featherweight that his dad gave him and My .280 Remington Model 700 “limited” that my parents bought for me. Also have a dandy Marlin MR-7 that I stumbled on and bought a few years back. Shoots like a peach and has a great trigger, dad grew pretty found of it prior to his passing so that gun will likely never leave me either.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/27/21 12:53 AM

Smith & Wesson model 1000 12 gauge for Christmas 1977. It has been my opening day dove gun since. I have had to rebuild the cycling innards twice.

Attached picture S&W1000.jpg
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/27/21 01:03 AM

I cleaned out the safe a few months ago because there were a few I never used

Kept the Browning XBolt along w several others

It just fits me, probably my favorite right now
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/27/21 01:07 AM

Browning BPS that has gone with me from Canada to Mexico and my first ever pistol, a Heritage .22 that shoots lights out for me.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/27/21 03:55 AM

Three guns.
My great great grandfathers Parker VE 12 ga.
Superposed Superlight 410. Killed a ton of quail with this gun.
Winchester model 94 . 22mag.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/27/21 04:08 AM

Pretty much eveyting in my freaking safe lol. The sentimental ones are all shotguns besides dads rifle which I hope to never get.
Posted By: TxDiver

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/29/21 06:06 PM

I’ve got a number that I would be hard pressed to sell. An M1 Garand I inherited from an uncle, Browning 525 that fits me perfectly, my first 22 (10/22), and maybe a few others.

Then there is a Win 94 that my dad bought in 1953 with a 14-year old’s dreams of being a big-time hunter. When I was about the same age, we got an invite for a deer hunt on a friend’s property. I really didn’t want to go as those weren’t good years between Dad and I (my stupid teenage boy years) and I didn’t want to get another day of lectures about school, life, etc. Well he decided that we were going, borrowed my uncles rifle and let me use the 94. We ended up sitting on the side of a hill all day without seeing a deer. What we did do was talk all manner of father/son stuff without the least bit of argument. As I sat there holding that 30/30, I got to know my father more than I had in a long time. That day that has stayed with me about 40 years. And it that started a tradition of father/son hunting trips. Sadly, I lost Dad last year, but that rifle now has a permanent home in my safe.

Next to it is a Weatherby over/under that I bought for him. He kept talking about buying one, so when I started making decent money I ended his procrastination. It won’t be staying long however as I plan on giving it to my son (from his grandfather) in a few years.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/29/21 08:05 PM

Most of my guns were stolen about 15 years ago, so the majority of mine I don't have a great deal of attachment to. However, that said, I had a half dozen or so scattered about between our farm, my Dad's safe, and my one I had loaned my brother. Those I have a great deal of attachment to, some sentimental and some just that I still have them, and the little meth head didn't get them all.
So my faves are a 20 ga browning superposed that I mowed a million lawns to buy at 14. The oft mentioned Belgian made A-5. A Weatherby Vanguard in .223 that my Uncle Bill left to me in his will. And the 2 that were in my Dad's safe, they were both my Granddad's duty weapons from the 50's and 60's, a Colt Gold Cup in .38 super and an Ithaca model 37 12 ga pump.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/29/21 09:00 PM

Parents gave me a Marlin 3030 for my Birthday(about 12) and killed my first buck with it. I cant imagine ever wanting or needing to get rid of it.
Dad died when I was 19 and I got his Model 70 3006. That has been the only rifle I have ever killed a deer with over the last 49 years. Definitely wont ever get rid of it and dont ever anticipate shooting a deer with any other gun.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/29/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Parents gave me a Marlin 3030 for my Birthday(about 12) and killed my first buck with it. I cant imagine ever wanting or needing to get rid of it.
Dad died when I was 19 and I got his Model 70 3006. That has been the only rifle I have ever killed a deer with over the last 49 years. Definitely wont ever get rid of it and dont ever anticipate shooting a deer with any other gun.

up In my opinion, these are the two most important rifles to own. Period. Well done.
Posted By: Longhorn74

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/29/21 09:41 PM

It’s gotta be my citori 16 gauge and the old browning 270 I’ve had forever. There’s a few Ruger no. 1s I have in the safe that haven’t been fired in years that I couldn’t part with. Those along with a few 20 gauge citori’s and Ruger red labels, that will be past on to the grandson.
Posted By: TXHunter0619

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/30/21 04:06 PM

Boy, what a thread.

Personally purchased? Probably my Browning 270 win, gun has never done me wrong in the field. Recently picked up a Browning 300 win mag that's been a dream to fire so far as well. Bought a Benelli 828U as a present for myself after finishing grad school and it's the best shotgun I've ever fired, hands down.

Dad gave me a Winchester Model 94 30-30 that my grandfather, who was a handyman, had received as payment for a job in the 60s or 70s. Also have my dad's first gun, a single shot Sears & Roebuck 22 from 1960 which he used to hunt raccoons and squirrels. Sold pelts for cents back then, can't imagine what those go for today!

I could go on, but as you can tell it's hard to pick ONE favorite.

Re: Favorite Firearms - 07/31/21 10:31 PM

A lot of great stories
Posted By: MO

Re: Favorite Firearms - 08/03/21 04:20 PM

My Father's Stevens Crackshot , My Browning auto 5, I received for Christmas on my 12 birthday ( 1964 ),
The first two rifles I bought my self (circa 1970) Remington 700 in .270 and 550-1 22cal.
MO
Posted By: HandyMan91

Re: Favorite Firearms - 08/08/21 01:09 PM

Ruger MK II stainless target w 10" bull barrel

1st generation colt trooper in 22lr (first gun i ever shot, when I was 5)

Old model 94 that has been passed down to me
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum