Texas Hunting Forum

Old colt revolver info

Posted By: vanmedic

Old colt revolver info - 04/05/21 01:02 AM

I have an old original colt 36 cal, I believe it’s a 1862 police pocket pistol , with that said I am not well versed in these pistols. Serial # is 76xx 4 digit, making it the 1st year 1861,All serial numbers match, Looking to get any information to sell for my mother. Thank you. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: John2

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/05/21 01:28 AM

I think it is a antique Colt 1862 Police Percussion Revolver, made in 1863 in Hartford, Connecticut. Its introduction was an attempt to fill a niche in the market for a pocket revolver suited for civilians and police of a larger caliber (.36) than the 1849 Pocket Revolver (.31). Much as the Colt 1851 Navy was a scaled-up version of the 1849 Pocket, the 1862 Police was a scaled down version of the 1861 Navy, which was a scaled down version of the 1860 Army. The result was a sleek, stylish and light, 5-shot pocket revolver in .36 caliber.
They usually sell for a little over $2000.

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/05/21 02:04 AM

Thank you for the information , the reason I thought 1861 manufacturing date was based off this page, serial is 71xx under the 8500 it says, again I have very little knowledge, you provided good information sir. Thank you. [Linked Image]
Posted By: John2

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/05/21 04:00 PM

vanmedic, I have done a little more research this morning,happy reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Pocket_Percussion_Revolvers

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/05/21 07:05 PM

Yes sir, thank you
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/05/21 11:49 PM

Were it me I'd contact Colt and have them check it, might be a little history behind it that can bump the price up considerably. Nice old pistol, is it still functional?

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/06/21 12:58 AM

Yes sir , functions well
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/06/21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by vanmedic
Yes sir , functions well

Seriously I would have Colt run the history on it, they kept impeccable records of their gun sales. A little history can make a difference between a 3500-4000 dollar pistol and a 10000 to 15000 dollar pistol. If anything just having documented history from Colt will raise the price 15% or more. Just looking at the pic's you provided I see no red flags that would cause concerns, it looks 100%. The finish is gone but that's to be expected from an old work horse like that and doesn't deduct much or any from the 3500 to 4000 dollar price.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/06/21 12:01 PM

The Police 62s are cool little pistols. The percussion pistols (outside of the Walkers, dragoons and Navies) do not carry quite the same cachet and values as the Single Actions. From auction prices I have seen I would guess that one’s value at $1500-2000. But that’s presuming it’s not a rare or sought after variation. I don’t know enough to really have a definitive answer. Old guns are like coins - the common variations are at one price level but the rare variations can command much more. Also Colt records prior to the mid 1870s are sparse, though it wouldn’t hurt to check. The Colt Archives are available on the internet for a fee. The best way to get peace of mind is to consult with a Colt expert. Factory documentation and/or letter from an expert as to authenticity and background are big helps to maximize value, as HWY pointed out.

Kopec used to be to “go-to” expert years ago. IDK who it is today.

Good luck!
Posted By: janie

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/06/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Yes sir , functions well

Seriously I would have Colt run the history on it, they kept impeccable records of their gun sales. A little history can make a difference.

x1000

Gun shop story. Customer comes in with old Colt revolver. Gunshop tells them to submit all info to the mfg. Customer does. Gets tired of waiting and sells said revolver for $400.00. A month later, customer receives a letter. His revolver was made for, issued to and carried by Sheriff WW Bat Masterson. Estimated value between 8 & 10K

1st time I ever saw a man break down and cry over a firearm.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/06/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by janie
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Yes sir , functions well

Seriously I would have Colt run the history on it, they kept impeccable records of their gun sales. A little history can make a difference.

x1000

Gun shop story. Customer comes in with old Colt revolver. Gunshop tells them to submit all info to the mfg. Customer does. Gets tired of waiting and sells said revolver for $400.00. A month later, customer receives a letter. His revolver was made for, issued to and carried by Sheriff WW Bat Masterson. Estimated value between 8 & 10K

1st time I ever saw a man break down and cry over a firearm.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...-colt-single-action-army-and-holster-rig

Re: Old colt revolver info - 04/07/21 12:39 AM

Yes sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum