Texas Hunting Forum

Opinions please

Posted By: bobcat1

Opinions please - 01/18/21 03:10 PM

This would be my beginner setup for shooting targets and to hunt with. but mostly as an inexpensive rifle and 2 scopes to choose from Please understand I am not rich and welcome your opinions on both and the caliber. Thank you in advance.

Mauser M18 6.5 PRC

Swift Scope

Mueller Scope
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 03:30 PM

Do you need the long reach of the 6.5 PRC? If not, go with a 6.5 Creedmoor as the ammo is about half the price.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 03:36 PM

I was going to say, pick a chambering that has inexpensive ammo. The only way to get good is to shoot as much as possible.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 04:05 PM

Another one to look at is the Remington 700 5R in 6.5 CM. For an off the shelf long range set up it's hard to beat. I have 2 of these and both shoot awesom.

I did have the following work done to make them even better.

1 trigger Tec trigger
2 added muzzle break
3 cheek piece added
4 glass bedding

Good luck.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 04:23 PM

I don't know about the rifle itself, but I too would question the caliber choice too. I got into shooting and hunting as a 25yo adult. I bought me a 300 win mag thinking roughly the same thing. It really isn't that reasonable. But then u might be smarter than I was.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by TX0303
Do you need the long reach of the 6.5 PRC? If not, go with a 6.5 Creedmoor as the ammo is about half the price.

This^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 04:42 PM

RIFLE is great. look on Europtics for the gun

call Doug at Camera L:and. look at the Hawke scopes and Meopta
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 04:43 PM

6.5 Creedmoor is a better option for a non hand loader.

It would really help to increase your scope budget. There's a fixed 10X SS for sale in the Trading Post. Sub $350 scope that can let you hit targets at long range.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Originally Posted by TX0303

This^^^^^^^^^^

X3

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 05:08 PM

So get the 6.5 CM instead of the PRC is a general concensus so far.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
6.5 Creedmoor is a better option for a non hand loader.

It would really help to increase your scope budget. There's a fixed 10X SS for sale in the Trading Post. Sub $350 scope that can let you hit targets at long range.

Looked and could not find the scope. I do like a variable scope with 50mm or bigger objective. I used to handload for a gun I had built when I was younger and in the chips so to speak. Just trying to get the best bang for my buck at 64 years of age.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 05:55 PM

What ranges are you planning on shooting? Are you wanting to set up to go out to 800,1000 yards? Or are you just going to shoot 100 -200 yards. That will have a big impact on what suggestions you receive.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 06:13 PM

I would agree with 6.5 CM or .308 possibly. Lots of match grade .308 available.
As for the scope. Spend a bit more, you won't regret it. The fixed power SWFA scopes are bombproof.
Since they are fixed power they are easier to master for longer shots. And they won't break the bank.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
What ranges are you planning on shooting? Are you wanting to set up to go out to 800,1000 yards? Or are you just going to shoot 100 -200 yards. That will have a big impact on what suggestions you receive.

Agreed

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 06:54 PM

Where I hunt is rolling mesquite. I've had and made kill shots out to 411 yards. That is why I originally thought 6.5 prc to shoot flat. I loved handloading for my old gun, a custom 300 weatherby. So a 500 yard gun would be ok for now.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

Where I hunt is rolling mesquite. I've had and made kill shots out to 411 yards. That is why I originally thought 6.5 prc to shoot flat. I loved handloading for my old gun, a custom 300 weatherby. So a 500 yard gun would be ok for now.

In your situation, I would suggest something with BDC that matches your rifle's trajectory, or something that you can dial. Neither of the scopes that you have mentioned match that criteria. I have a Burris Veracity that has the BDC. I generally don't like BDC because if your trajectory does not match the BDC, you are out of luck. I have it on my .308, and it just happens to match the BDC pretty good. It is also FFP, so it matches regardless of my zoom. But you would go way up on your budget there.
I also have a Burris Fullfield with MOA turrets. I have not used it much yet, but first impressions seem good. You might want to check out the Burris fullfield and new signature HD line. The signature HD line looks interesting.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1

A good Mil/Mil scope will make you happy. Hold or dial you can get your scope to make precise hits at any distance.

In fact, a good friend of mine has a combo, he uses weekly, that is something I've told lots of people they would enjoy. He has a sub-$400 rifle wearing a $1000 scope. He has been slaying hogs, deer, and coyotes with it for almost a year.

His is a Ruger American, my hand loads, and a high end Bushnell.

Burris XTR II, and Bushnell make some great bang for your buck rifle scopes.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 08:59 PM

I have low round count Tikka T3 Stainless Lite with composition stock that would serve you better for hunting.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I have low round count Tikka T3 Stainless Lite with composition stock that would serve you better for hunting.

This might be worth looking into.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 09:16 PM

Hudbone what caliber is your gun?

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 09:22 PM

My bad here - .270, meant to include that.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 09:23 PM

It was the point of the post - geez.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 09:30 PM

When it comes to the target shooting you want to do, you will be handicapping yourself if you do not have a MOA or MIL reticle.
Also, for older eyes, I wouldn’t consider anything less than 16x....yes, you can definitely hit targets with less, but seeing your shots/groups at 100 (zeroing, checking groups/loads, etc.) becomes very hard with much less.

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by P_102
When it comes to the target shooting you want to do, you will be handicapping yourself if you do not have a MOA or MIL reticle.
Also, for older eyes, I wouldn’t consider anything less than 16x....yes, you can definitely hit targets with less, but seeing your shots/groups at 100 (zeroing, checking groups/loads, etc.) becomes very hard with much less.

Haha Yes to the older eyes. Looks like I need to save more pennies for a good scope.

My bad here - .270, meant to include that.

I'll keep that in mind. I had a left handed Tikka before since I shoot lefty. Didn't really care for it. It was a 270 wsm though.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Opinions please - 01/18/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blanco
or .308 possibly. Lots of match grade .308 available.

.308's are a bargain right now.

Re: Opinions please - 01/19/21 12:08 AM

Bobby,
In the long range game 500 yards as you spoke earlier is a chip shot for an accomplished LR shooter. We do it all the time but reading the wind seperates the men from the boys. Yes I agree with above for older eyes like you and me more scope power will help with 14X being the lowest I'd consider.
Lots of good equipment out there you'll find the right solution.

Re: Opinions please - 01/19/21 12:26 AM

Thanks John. I'll be watching for bargains and doing my research.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Opinions please - 01/19/21 03:46 AM

Midway has the Bushnell DMR close outs for $769

Re: Opinions please - 01/19/21 12:27 PM

Thanks QSYB. I'm a ways out for that right now.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Opinions please - 01/19/21 02:32 PM

If this I’d going to be a hunting rig watch weight...a lot of 30+ ounce scopes listed or mentioned above. For a hunting rig you might as well be carrying an anchor with you. Only use I have for a scope that heavy would be to play the rifle games (prs type stuff). Consequently, that’s the only way I’d buy a mil scope also...very few people outside that world talk that language. If you run and hunt with a mil crowd by all means get the mil scope but if you don’t you’ll need to be converting and that not fun on the fly either.

If you want the PRC, buy it but they guys above are correct...the gaymoor will have more barrel life and be cheaper to shoot.

Good luck.

Re: Opinions please - 01/19/21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
If this I’d going to be a hunting rig watch weight...a lot of 30+ ounce scopes listed or mentioned above. For a hunting rig you might as well be carrying an anchor with you. Only use I have for a scope that heavy would be to play the rifle games (prs type stuff). Consequently, that’s the only way I’d buy a mil scope also...very few people outside that world talk that language. If you run and hunt with a mil crowd by all means get the mil scope but if you don’t you’ll need to be converting and that not fun on the fly either.

If you want the PRC, buy it but they guys above are correct...the gaymoor will have more barrel life and be cheaper to shoot.

Good luck.

roflmao Gaymoor.... Thanks Judd. PM me your recommendations if you want. Or anyone else that has suggestions can PM me too if they would rather.

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 12:33 AM

Just for my ADHD clarification:

Mauser 18 is okay for a budget gun, right? I could not find anything negative about it. Did anyone else or maybe suggest anything else on the rifle line?

On the scope it seems the consensus to spend more on the scope than the rifle. I used to get by with a Leupold VariX II 3x9x50, but that is gone now. Appears I will be spending 500-1000 on a scope according to the recommendations here. Which one or 2 would be best?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 01:06 AM

Camera land has the Leopold 4.5-14 on sale. I believe in "more power, magnification".

you cant beat this deal and its IN STOCK. Easy 1 MOA gun (1" groups at 100 yards)

https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M1...c-5rd-Mag-Bolt-Action-Rifle-M18065C.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Bergara-B-14-Ridge-Rifle-65-Creedmoor-Synthetic-Stock-22-B14S502.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-V...-CDS-ZL-Wind-Plex-Riflescope-177820.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Optika6-25-15x44-Z-Plus-30mmSFP-Riflescope-653615.aspx

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 01:39 AM

Thanks buzz

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 01:41 AM

Are you concerned about weight?

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Are you concerned about weight?

Not really, why? Im a fairly large guy. Lol
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 02:01 AM

I really like your rifle choice, Op. If you want the PRC, buy it.

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 02:04 AM

For budget rifles, Savage makes great shooters. Ruger American has a great reputation. I have heard very little about the mauser 18.

Re: Opinions please - 01/20/21 03:19 AM

Thanks guys. Any other opinions?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum