Texas Hunting Forum

Anoooother 6.5 CM

Posted By: 603Country

Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/29/20 10:43 PM

Local guy called me to ask if his buddy could use my 100 yard range soon to sight in a new rifle. Yep...it’s a CM. Is anyone buying ANYTHING else these days? Geez!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/29/20 11:02 PM

Not if your a follower trying to keep up with the Jones’
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/29/20 11:59 PM

Damnit!

The thing does a good job at the job is was designed to do. Let's hate it!

Stupid.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:03 AM

And that Job is to do what? Sell more guns and ammo? It does it well! stir

popcorn
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:23 AM

Every success is going to have its share of haters.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:31 AM

Well it looks like I’m getting a pair of 257 Roberts. How’s that?

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann

popcorn

Been explained many times. And I'm sure you've seen it. I'm not going to waste my time.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:39 AM

popcorn

What part of selling more guns and ammo is bad?

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:39 AM

Have to admit that the cartridge design and marketing was about the best any of us have ever seen. And I don’t hate the cartridge at all, but except for one 270 recently, all I see are 6.5 CMs. Kinda like somebody keeps playing the same old song over and over.

I think it makes me like my 260 even more, just because it’s different.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

popcorn

Been explained many times. And I'm sure you've seen it. I'm not going to waste my time.

Good call. If they still have to ask then they're too stupid to understand the answers that have been posted a thousand+ times. Nobody likes a winner.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 01:03 AM

What is stupid are the fanboys that think it’s the end all be all of cartridges.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 01:06 AM

I like both the 6 and 6.5 Creeds and it makes even better with all the hate. cheers
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
What is stupid are the fanboys that think it’s the end all be all of cartridges.

My hair ain’t long enough for a bun and my pants are tight because I’m fat, but I like the CM.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 01:21 AM

I built a 260 instead.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169

Very Classy.

I only have one.
Posted By: AAJ

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 01:54 AM

love my 264 win mag.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:18 AM

For every "end all be all" posts, there are 5 "Credemore makes you a manbun wearing queer" posts.

Incorrect spelling done on purpose.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:23 AM

I obviously need to sell my 6.5CM and replace it with a real man's rifle. What caliber would qualify for me to get my man card back?
Posted By: BigfootWallace

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:36 AM

Before the "pandemic" I was buying 6.5 CM FMJ for $11.00 a box on Midway. Try and do that with your oddball calibers. Now if your a weekend hunter that shoots one box a year maybe that don't matter, I shoot nearly every day so it does to me. I dont care what anyone thinks of me so call me what you want for shooting one, I don't feel the need to be different just to be different.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
I obviously need to sell my 6.5CM and replace it with a real man's rifle. What caliber would qualify for me to get my man card back?

308 Win

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

308 Win

Pick another one. I already have a Rem 788 in .308.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by TexFlip

For every "end all be all" posts, there are 5 "Credemore makes you a manbun wearing queer" posts.

Man it’s not the post here, it’s the genuine effing idiots in public who actually say the word Creedmoor as if they’ve witnessed one of gods miracles. I heard a guy talking about trading his bow for a Creedmoor, not which Creedmoor or even what rifle, he didn’t know what the rifle was. Just the word “Creedmoor “. He was so damn proud of himself. This is the stupidity that makes me want to puke.

For the record I think it’s a great round with the best factory support ever seen. It’s deserves accolades, from people who understand why.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:48 AM

50 BMG. I understand you only have to hit close to a deer for a kill shot.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:45 AM

308 Win

Pick another one. I already have a Rem 788 in .308.

Then you get to keep your man card.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 11:42 AM

50 BMG. I understand you only have to hit close to a deer for a kill shot.

Anybody got Keith Warren's phone number? Maybe he'll trade me his fifty for my 6.5?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:51 PM

"One for each of you"
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 12:51 PM

The 6.5 CR is a good round. It’s a really good girl gun because of light recoil.

I personally would not own that caliber for fear someone might think I had a man bun!!

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 02:39 PM

“A really good girl gun”....I think that’s the first time I’ve heard that line. But...that’s true.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:24 PM

7mm-08 is a great girl gun

really up
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:28 PM

Nothing wrong with the 6.5, but I’ve never had a desire to purchase one. I think a lot of people buy one thinking they can shoot a 1,000 yards plus with the gun, but never take it past 200. If you’re a serious long range shooter I see the appeal of if you’re looking for a light recoiling deer rifle I see the appeal there as well.

For me, I prefer a 308, 270 or 243 for my hunting needs.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:31 PM

Having two posts about 6.5 Creedmoor in the forum so close together made me think that we should maybe have one with the pro’s and con’s of this Caliber....

Pro
1. Don’t have to ask anybody what did you shoot him with anymore!
2. Everybody has same ammo or lack thereof.
3. No arguments around campfires about best deer round

Con
1. Stores will eventually just have an isle with Creedmoor ammo and quit selling the more obsolete stuff..243/308/etc
2. There will forever be a shortage of H4350
3. We will have to see Creedmore misspelled in hundreds of ways

I am not sure if deer being deader is a pro or a con.....
cheers

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

really up

Yes it is, really. Of the 6 I’ve purchased or built one was for a woman, she loves it, more than she loved me. She took it in the divorce. Lol

That’s two Tikkas, two Savages, a Model 7 and an H&R. I’ve got a factory 7-08 barrel in the tool box now. Looking for something to screw it onto.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip

This is true now. Used to be a new Creedmoor thread on this forum every day. Basically, I bought a I Creedmoor. Now everyone has one and it's so mainstream that hardly anyone posts those threads. Now, just about every CM thread is troll.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 06:14 PM

Well, I started this not to gripe about the caliber itself, but to say that’s almost all I ever see anymore, which is kind of crazy. If a fellow hasn’t hunted in 35 years, like one of my brothers, and he goes to get a rifle his grandkids can use, he comes back with a 6.5 CM. He called me to say that he was going to take the kids deer hunting, and “is a 6.5 Creedmoor a good deer caliber”. I said it was. He’s not a gun guy. Never was. On no forums. Hasn’t hunted anything in this century. He and I never talk guns and hunting. But he goes to a gun shop and comes back with a CM. The sales guys must be touting the magical properties of the CM.

And, I should mention that his grandkids have killed some whopper bucks over there in NE Louisiana. And missed a couple too.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Well, I started this not to gripe about the caliber itself, but to say that’s almost all I ever see anymore, which is kind of crazy. If a fellow hasn’t hunted in 35 years, like one of my brothers, and he goes to get a rifle his grandkids can use, he comes back with a 6.5 CM. He called me to say that he was going to take the kids deer hunting, and “is a 6.5 Creedmoor a good deer caliber”. I said it was. He’s not a gun guy. Never was. On no forums. Hasn’t hunted anything in this century. He and I never talk guns and hunting. But he goes to a gun shop and comes back with a CM. The sales guys must be touting the magical properties of the CM.

And, I should mention that his grandkids have killed some whopper bucks over there in NE Louisiana. And missed a couple too.

Your brother got excellent advice. Hope the CDS boys got a healthy dose of Vagisil this Christmas.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 07:36 PM

No one is saying that the creedmoor is a bad cartridge. But neither is it magic. Recommending 6.5 creedmoor to every new hunter is kind of silly. The hype exceeds the capability of the cartridge and especially exceeds the capability of most of the guns people are buying.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz
I like both the 6 and 6.5 Creeds and it makes even better with all the hate. cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 07:44 PM

No one is saying that the creedmoor is a bad cartridge. But neither is it magic. Recommending 6.5 creedmoor to every new hunter is kind of silly. The hype exceeds the capability of the cartridge and especially exceeds the capability of most of the guns people are buying.

How so?

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Misfire
Originally Posted by Big Fitz

[Linked Image]

rofl

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 08:21 PM

I can't believe I'm defending the CM, but it's not silly. It's completely mainstream now. It's everywhere. Plenty of ammo makers. It's mild mannered in recoil and capable of killing most things people will be hunting.

It's actually a solid recommendation for a new hunter, especially one that doesn't reload. Just because it's hyped doesn't mean it's not a great choice for hunting.

Reminds me of the popularity the 308 enjoyed for many years as the tactical/hunter round everyone recommended.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Originally Posted by Gringocazador
The 6.5 CR is a good round. It’s a really good girl gun because of light recoil.

I personally would not own that caliber for fear someone might think I had a man bun!!

roflmao
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 10:38 PM

I would invite any of you boys talking about 6.5CM isn’t a mans caliber out to our 500 match and just see how good your hunting rifle does. Then you’ll know what a 6.5CM will do for you.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
I would invite any of you boys talking about 6.5CM isn’t a mans caliber out to our 500 match and just see how good your hunting rifle does. Then you’ll know what a 6.5CM will do for you.

After shooting against some of the guys that regularly go to the matches, id say it's more the Indian than the arrow. But, yes. Alot of those Indians choose a 6.5 arrow.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/30/20 11:58 PM

I have 5 or 6 rifles chambered for it but prefer 7mm Mag or 7mm STW for killing things.

I recently picked up a Micro Midas x bolt chambered in 6.5CM for my wife and she loves it. It's a great hunting cartridge if you match your bullets to what your hunting.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 12:17 AM

This threads always deliver. I don’t get why people care so much what other people do.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 12:27 AM

really up

Shut it

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by blkt2

I recently picked up a Micro Midas x bolt chambered in 6.5CM for my wife and she loves it. It's a great hunting cartridge if you match your bullets to what your hunting.

How's that different from any other cartridge?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 02:25 AM

Afraid I would not dress appropriately.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

Afraid I would not dress appropriately.

I think I shot the last one in sweats and mucks.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by GLC

really up

Shut it

His daughter uses one. He's not dissing it.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider

Get enough bullet weight moving fast can make up for a poor choice in bullets but that isn't really an option with the 6.5CM. I believe that the 6.5CM is under powered for the type of hunting I like and prefer much larger bullets going a lot faster. I guess that a bunch of people believe that there is a prize to be won for using the smallest cartridge that will get the job done. Using an underpowered cartridge forces careful selection of the bullets to match the intended target.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 03:42 AM

These posts are so stupid. I’m going to start a post about how a 10mm socket is for man buns. Real mean use a 8mm or 12mm socket.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 03:56 AM

Just to restore a little faith, the last two trips to the range I watched carefully what the young crew was shooting. I saw about 8-10 guys, 18-25 in age. In the group of hunting rifles, there were 2 .270s, 2 .30-06, a 7RM, and a .308. Judging from the piles of brass around, a lot of others had shot those as well. Now, this is Lubbock, so we’re not far from medium-large game country, but there are still a lot of people out there buying new, non-6.5 rifles.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 04:17 AM

Get enough bullet weight moving fast can make up for a poor choice in bullets but that isn't really an option with the 6.5CM. I believe that the 6.5CM is under powered for the type of hunting I like and prefer much larger bullets going a lot faster. I guess that a bunch of people believe that there is a prize to be won for using the smallest cartridge that will get the job done. Using an underpowered cartridge forces careful selection of the bullets to match the intended target.

Underpowered for what? You didn't specify.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 04:17 AM

In 1952 when the .308 was introduced, all the .30-06 purist started crying about the popularity of the new cartridge. Most claimed that the .308 was an ineffective, overhyped round with good marketing behind it and accused the .308 crowd of wearing man-buns underneath their plaid woolen hats..

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 04:42 AM

Actually "under powered " or "moderate powered" work really well with regular bullets so bullet choice is less of an issue.

The reason the Nosler Partition was created was because John Nosler shot a mud caked moose with his new ultra powerful 300 Magnum and the bullet blew up on the mud caked shoulder. Those normal bullets worked fine in the 30-06 but not a super fast magnum.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 05:42 AM

Underpowered for what? You didn't specify.

Propelling heavy bullets at high speeds to long ranges and having enough remaining energy to drop a white tail deer sized animal in its tracks and kill it within a few seconds. If I have to chase a dead run animal I am not happy and I like bullets to be going at least 1800fps when they hit my intended target. Couple that with my love of long shots and you will understand why I like 7mm STW or .300wm with heavy bullets.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 05:46 AM

Actually "under powered " or "moderate powered" work really well with regular bullets so bullet choice is less of an issue.

The reason the Nosler Partition was created was because John Nosler shot a mud caked moose with his new ultra powerful 300 Magnum and the bullet blew up on the mud caked shoulder. Those normal bullets worked fine in the 30-06 but not a super fast magnum.

I agree and that is why people using bonded or mono metal bullets for lite game in relatively moderate cartridges drives me nuts.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 02:04 PM

By contrast, the most popular cartridge I have done load development for customers has been the .300 Win Mag. Does one "need" a .300 Win Mag to kill a 150 pound whitetail?

No, but that's what they choose to use, and I am just here to help make it shoot as tight as it can.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Misfire
In 1952 when the .308 was introduced, all the .30-06 purist started crying about the popularity of the new cartridge. Most claimed that the .308 was an ineffective, overhyped round with good marketing behind it and accused the .308 crowd of wearing man-buns underneath their plaid woolen hats..

rofl

I get a kick out of all the haters. Sounds like envy to me... peep

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 07:55 PM

For the record, I am not a CM hater. My only point in this was to express amazement at how well this cartridge was crafted and marketed. I could probably parachute into Outer Mongolia, find an occupied Urt, say “Creedmoor”, and have the guy show me his new 6.5 CM.

Re: Anoooother 6.5 CM - 12/31/20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
For the record, I am not a CM hater. My only point in this was to express amazement at how well this cartridge was crafted and marketed. I could probably parachute into Outer Mongolia, find an occupied Urt, say “Creedmoor”, and have the guy show me his new 6.5 CM.

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum