Texas Hunting Forum

Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes

Posted By: BobbyWB

Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/07/20 07:57 PM

Couple questions...

1.) Does anybody have recommendations for where I can get a barrel threaded in the Austin area? In the near term, I'm looking to get a muzzle brake on a Savage 116 300 Win Mag.

2.) How do clamp-on muzzle brakes compare to threaded in performance?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/07/20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyWB
Couple questions...

2.) How do clamp-on muzzle brakes compare to threaded in performance?

Thanks in advance for the help.
From a purely performance standard, they work just as well as a threaded brake. Aesthetically they're buttugly if you ask me. If you do order one, take the time and use a micrometer to get EXACT measurements of your barrel diameter.
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 01:50 AM

I called ATX Armory and they told me they get all their threading done at Blackjack Gunsmithing which is down the street. I got quoted $130 for threading my DPMS AR-10 barrel in 5/8x24. Hope this helps.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 01:53 AM

You can get it done for $50 in Dallas. I think anything over $100 is too high.

Get a thread on brake IMHO. I agree with TTID that the clamp on ones are butt ugly. They all work the same though.
Posted By: Bama2

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 04:16 AM

Where at in Dallas?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bama2
Where at in Dallas?

Morgan at class3machine. Many of us have trusted home with our rifles and he has been perfect. I would make the trip granted mine was only just over 100 miles.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 01:30 PM

Another strong recommendation for Morgan at class3machine here. He's done 2 or 3 of my rifles. He does good work for a fair price, in a timely manner. Great communication. Just yank the barreled action out of the stock and take the trigger off, mail it to him. There is no need to be close to him.

As far as which brake, I wouldn't mess with clamp-on. Ugly and heavy, plus seems to me like the risk of goofy impacts on accuracy might be higher. Thread on self-timing brakes are pretty amazing. They remove all the guesswork out of installation. There's a lot of them out there.... Patriot Valley, Area 419, American Precision Arms are probably the most popular (and for good reason.) I've personally used the PVA 3 port, and it was pretty dang efficient without kicking any blast back towards the shooter.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crews
clamp-on, seems to me like the risk of goofy impacts on accuracy might be higher

That would be my biggest concern.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/08/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crews
Another strong recommendation for Morgan at class3machine here. He's done 2 or 3 of my rifles. He does good work for a fair price, in a timely manner. Great communication. Just yank the barreled action out of the stock and take the trigger off, mail it to him. There is no need to be close to him.

This. Morgan is top notch.
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/09/20 04:04 AM

Anybody have an address for Morgan at class 3? Google was no help.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/09/20 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by tailchaser93
Anybody have an address for Morgan at class 3? Google was no help.

You have to go direct with him first.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/09/20 04:26 AM

His forum id is Dallasshootingsupplies, link below to profile and face book etc

LINK for Morgan
Posted By: BobbyWB

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/10/20 03:03 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations. I got in touch with Morgan, and also got a lead for a local shop.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Barrel Threading & Muzzle Brakes - 12/10/20 07:48 PM

Dan Mulder in Arlington. He owns Grumpy's guns and specializes in barrel threading

817-821-8999
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum