Texas Hunting Forum

Will ammo ever be available again ?

Posted By: Biscuit

Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 10:37 PM

This is getting ridiculous. I just want to go to Cabelas and buy what I want.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 10:54 PM

I hear ya Biscuit. Most of us have plenty ammo from Obama but I still go looking. My main issue is reloading components.

IMO... .02.... is the manufacturers are making ammo as fast as they can and still can't keep up with demand (hoarding)

Politics is causing this now, Gun people are freaking out with all the talk of Biden winning, Low hanging fruit will be picked first and that's our guns starting with ANYTHING AR-15, to hi-cap handguns, then magazine fed bolt guns on and on

I don't think we'll see confiscation YET, there will be some "BuyBack" programs, then voluntary turn in . By this time we will be in serious decline.

SO

when you find some ammo, buy what they will let you, leave some for the guy behind you. I don't see any relief until Trump wins (Please God)
Posted By: Erny

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 10:54 PM

I believe this is worse than last great ammo shortage a few years ago. I think if Biden wins it’s going to get even worse.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 10:59 PM

You also might wanna buy some groceries a few days before the election, just so you can find what you want. 'Not trying to incite panic, but in San Antonio at least, people freak the hell out and I anticipate a rush.

I'd try ordering what you want from Midway. That's how I found some decent 7.62. It was on backorder, but only took a couple of weeks. Order online while you still can.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Erny
I believe this is worse than last great ammo shortage a few years ago. I think if Biden wins it’s going to get even worse.

I agree. Past shortages seemed to focus more ammo common to AR-style rifles, with everything else being far less impacted. This shortage has impacted everything equally, including the primers needed by those who reload their own.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 11:11 PM

I have plenty...FO beaaatches! Lol

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I agree. Past shortages seemed to focus more ammo common to AR-style rifles, with everything else being far less impacted. This shortage has impacted everything equally, including the primers needed by those who reload their own.

When I checked Academy months ago, they DID have plenty of .25 Auto. grin up

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Yes and 454;casull
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/11/20 11:45 PM

After Trump is re-elected there will be full shelves again. Then spend the next 4 years methodically stockpiling for the next election.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:04 AM

Doesn’t help when some jack wagon buys everything on shelf instead of sharing
Posted By: ep2621

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
After Trump is re-elected there will be full shelves again. Then spend the next 4 years methodically stockpiling for the next election.

Yessir.

But for those buying now:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mudd

So you hate the 2nd Amendment and Capitalism

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:53 AM

There will no doubt be those whose relatives will one day sell their stockpiled ammo for pennies on the dollar.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 01:13 AM

There will no doubt be those whose relatives will one day sell their stockpiled ammo for pennies on the dollar.

smile ani
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Just your typical victim mentality. They weren’t prepared, so it’s someone else’s fault. I’m sure they’d share.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by aggiehunter03

I learned this lesson during the Obama years. Everything was cheap and plentiful under Trump so I stocked up while it was cheap. Going it to an election year, this is very predictable. China Virus made it worse since bunch of libtards got red pilled and started buying guns. I read somewhere that there were 5 million people buying guns for the first time this year.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 02:50 AM

You want some cheese with that whine?
Posted By: Greg

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:01 AM

I’ve been trying to find .380 and several of the places I’ve spoke with said the manufactures have run out of supplies already for this year. They said the manufactures order gets placed every year for what they think they will need. Apparently, that has already been bought up and they can’t get the supplies right now. Sounds like poor planning to me.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Yes and 454;casull

What more do you want?

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Just your typical victim mentality. They weren’t prepared, so it’s someone else’s fault. I’m sure they’d share.

Posting facts is all. I see others needing ammo all the time. Then when local shops get in ammo someone buys it all out while others are needing it.

I have plenty so not everyone else’s fault. I just tend to see it from all directions instead of one sided like most on here
2cents

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Greg
I’ve been trying to find .380 and several of the places I’ve spoke with said the manufactures have run out of supplies already for this year. They said the manufactures order gets placed every year for what they think they will need. Apparently, that has already been bought up and they can’t get the supplies right now. Sounds like poor planning to me.

You are correct. I might can find u some locally

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Do u need a bigger rock to hide under so u will feel better also?

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:56 AM

You are correct. I might can find u some locally

Man that would be very kind of you. I’d love to find a few hundred rounds. Please let me know if you see any. Thanks!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 03:56 AM

cheers been looking @ 9mm pistal, limited in $$$...
Seen a 380 postal i like, right price... No ammo, heard same results you posted... Manufactures put hold on 380 ammo ta try stay caught up with the 9mm... Scare tactic's..

flag
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 09:11 AM

Some 7mm-08 is still available online in 200 round case at the same price as before this madness. I saw some .243 onthe shelf Thursday. That should suffice for hunting.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 10:53 AM

Posting facts is all. I see others needing ammo all the time. Then when local shops get in ammo someone buys it all out while others are needing it.

I have plenty so not everyone else’s fault. I just tend to see it from all directions instead of one sided like most on here
2cents

Oh, okay. I didn’t realize that it was a fact that people buying ammo were jack wagons.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 11:07 AM

I just tend to see it from all directions instead of one sided like most on here

Someone thinks very highly of himself.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:01 PM

The purchase of the Remington ammo division by Vista (Federal) will be a very good thing and provide a lot more ammo to the marketplace once they get the plant back up and running at full capacity. Same with primers since Remington is one of the big 3 for primer manufacturing.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:30 PM

I finally feel like I have enough ammo for me and those I love to melt every barrel we have until our position is overrun by Democrat controlled jackbooted federal stormtroopers in February 2021.
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:35 PM

My problem is since I cant replace what I have at reasonable prices I have not been shooting. That is truly the sad part.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:41 PM

I have more than plenty of ammo for all of my crap hits the fan guns but in my brains shortcomings I never thought to foresee hunting ammo being wiped out as well. I won’t make that mistake twice though bang

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 12:50 PM

violin
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 01:02 PM

Oh, okay. I didn’t realize that it was a fact that people buying ammo were jack wagons.

roflmao
Posted By: BearkatHunter2011

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 01:36 PM

We stocked up during the Obama years. Been adding during the first Trump administration. After he wins again, I will put up enough for a generation.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BearkatHunter2011
We stocked up during the Obama years. Been adding during the first Trump administration. After he wins again, I will put up enough for a generation.

Same here
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I have more than plenty of ammo for all of my crap hits the fan guns but in my brains shortcomings I never thought to foresee hunting ammo being wiped out as well. I won’t make that mistake twice though bang

Where were you guys during the last ammo scare? I remember going to the store during the last scare, and if you were not there to buy shotgun ammo, you weren't getting ammo. I remember at one point, shelves were 100% completely devoid of any and all ammo. Pistol, rifle, target and hunting ammo. All gone. Am I the only one that remembers it that way?
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Where were you guys during the last ammo scare? I remember going to the store during the last scare, and if you were not there to buy shotgun ammo, you weren't getting ammo. I remember at one point, shelves were 100% completely devoid of any and all ammo. Pistol, rifle, target and hunting ammo. All gone. Am I the only one that remembers it that way?

I guess I was under a rock because I never had an issue finding basic ammo but I keep plenty of everything on hand and I never purchased any new calibers during the shortages. It’s 100% my own fault but I know now and I won’t be caught sleeping again.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/12/20 02:28 PM

I guess I was under a rock because I never had an issue finding basic ammo but I keep plenty of everything on hand and I never purchased any new calibers during the shortages. It’s 100% my own fault but I know now and I won’t be caught sleeping again.

Maybe so. Up to 2008, I was woefully unprepared. I was one of those guys that only bought what I was going to shoot. I kept a full box of my personal protection ammo at the house, but beyond that, I didn't have any ammo stocked at all. Every year, I would buy a new box of hunting ammo. I would shoot the remainder of the last year's ammo for practice, and shoot a 3 shot group of the new ammo to verify that the rifle was still zero'd. That would leave me with 17 rounds to hunt with for the year. I would often use just one or two of those rounds. Sometimes, if I had a particularly good bow season, I wouldn't use even one of those rounds. 2008 hit, and I found myself unable to find anything. I couldn't even go shoot my .22. I had never imagined that we would run out of .22! Two things have happened since then. 1. I have learned not to take ammo stock for granted unless it was stocked on my personal shelf. 2. I shoot 1000x more now than I did back then. Therefore, going in to this shortage, I was much better prepared. Maybe my preparedness makes this shortage seem not so bad. confused2
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/13/20 03:53 AM

Hate thy neighbor, screw everybody else. My ammo.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/13/20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by DeRico
Hate thy neighbor, screw everybody else. My ammo.

Fear of shortages makes people suddenly buy in panic mode. No hate involved. If most gun owners had simply stocked up when prices were low and ammo was plentiful, there would be no panic driven shortages today.

Folks should be laying in extra food and other basic supplies because we live in a volatile world with fragile supply chains. Look at what happened with toilet paper for absolutley no reason aside from fear. But I am willing to bet that most people are not planning ahead even a little, and there will be whining or worse.

It is very important to always have enough supplies to be able to sustain your own family and to help others when needed.

Marc
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/13/20 02:03 PM

Am I the only one that remembers it that way?

No sir, you are not. And therefore that comment that the last shortage was mostly related to AR15 is a false statement. In fact 22LR was the hardest to get as I remember, I could be wrong. 2 quotes from this forum come to mind.
"failure to prepare is preparing to fail"
The second is from you Mike, "I have enough ammo to start a war, just not enough to finish it."

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/13/20 04:26 PM

violin

mudd makes a valid statement...
Scare tactic's prices of ammo were cheap till the scare tactic's started..
High demand & the prices go up...
flag
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/13/20 09:47 PM

Several factors at play here. There apparently is no more lead smelting done in the US. It comes from, you guessed it... China. So when shipping got interrupted when China shut down, we have a lead shortage. Then, by NSSF estimates, around 5 million new gun owners this year thus far, so a bigger demand by adding them into the mix. Then there are the ones hoarding. Election year jitters, civil unrest, you name it. 2020 has been a wild year. I was at my local Kroger last spring and the meat shelves were virtually empty. The butcher took me behind counter to see the cooler which was also barren. When our economy works, it works wonderfully. But I think we have learned that it only takes a few missing cogs in the gear to make a lot of things grind to a halt.

Glad I know how to hunt, fish, and forage wild edibles. Also happy to wipe my tail with a washcloth and launder it like we did back in the days of cloth diapers.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/14/20 03:36 AM

Yep the last primary US Lead Smelter was shut down at the end of 2013 by Obama's EPA..hmmmm, when did the ammo shortages initially begin? Bingo - winner, winner chicken dinner. Earl

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/14/20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

The second is from you Mike, "I have enough ammo to start a war, just not enough to finish it."

Lol. Yes, I may have said that a time or two...

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/14/20 06:09 AM

cheers they got several boxes of 9mm in , i just took 1 box...
flag
Posted By: janie

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/14/20 02:51 PM

I don't see it getting any better and hope I'm wrong. .380 ammo prices are thru the roof. I don't need any, but search ammo seek every a.m. .80 cents per round and only escalates from there.

I'm fine burning thru some .22 LR and let all other caliber's take a break.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/14/20 04:40 PM

offtopic with ammo shortage, any reloaders out thar got thar own smelters ?
bang did it old school, open fire, fishing weights, round balls for the Kentucky .45
& BP .44 pistols..
Roughly 100#'s of lead, daughter doesn't want it around kids, up & agree, they were getting rid of it...
Brought some here. rofl with all the restrictions @ ✈ airports, kinda hard ta transver...
Wore out the shocks on chevy carrying around, bang did give extra traction in back of bed for snow..
flag
Posted By: JCB

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/14/20 07:21 PM

What people should’ve buying right now is hi-cap mags and 12 gauge shells. Both are still very much available and severely under priced for what may come. Next to the 22lr the 12 gauge is the most popular chamber out there yet we haven’t seen a run on the shells. Crazy when you consider how cheap and effective 25 shells are.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/15/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
What people should’ve buying right now is hi-cap mags and 12 gauge shells. Both are still very much available and severely under priced for what may come. Next to the 22lr the 12 gauge is the most popular chamber out there yet we haven’t seen a run on the shells. Crazy when you consider how cheap and effective 25 shells are.

Yep I’ve been buying 12 gauge for a while because it’s all I can get. Been busting a lot of clays , or trying too anyway
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/15/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by BearkatHunter2011

Same here

Yup!

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/15/20 02:40 AM

After monitoring store shelves for the last few weeks, I can honestly say this is the worst shortage that I've seen in my lifetime. Past shortages seemed to hit specific calibers (.223 and .22 for example) much more than others, meaning you would still see ammo on the shelves in many different calibers. This one has left store shelves empty for days if not weeks on end of just about anything you can send down a rifle or handgun barrel.

Thankfully, I too stocked up over the last few years but still find myself wondering how long it will be until the shelves look closer to normal.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/15/20 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by JCB

Shhhhh... don’t let on to it.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/15/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by JCB

up ya then ya can turn around & sell em @ higher prices cause supplies are low & demand tis high..

Twas looked @ the prices of 9mm @ Cheaper than Dirt over a $1.00 a round... tis like the Trump supporter that cam in ta store with his hat on...
78+ bottles of rubbing alcohol, asked why so many, he turns around & sells it on ebay...

flag
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by JCB

This may be happening.
Out of curiosity (I have enough ammo to hunt for the rest of my life), I stopped at 6 Academy's today from San Antonio to Austin. The amount of shotguns shells is getting really thin. Most stores no longer had the cases of 12 gauge bird shot that you see pallets of before dove season. Shelves are getting thin on other 12 gauge as well.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by JCB

This may be happening.
Out of curiosity (I have enough ammo to hunt for the rest of my life), I stopped at 6 Academy's today from San Antonio to Austin. The amount of shotguns shells is getting really thin. Most stores no longer had the cases of 12 gauge bird shot that you see pallets of before dove season. Shelves are getting thin on other 12 gauge as well.

Walmart has plenty of 12.
Posted By: Denton44

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 08:06 AM

Some of you may be young. If you're in your 40's and on up, you haven't learned from recent history. People hoard at a whim. Look at TP earlier this year. Gotta stay ahead of this stuff. On ammo, I'm all set. On reloading, I'm all set. For plinking with a .22, I'm all set. Think ahead fellas.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 10:59 AM

Agree Denton. Those of us that have grey or no hair have seen it before. Need plenty of guns, ammo, powder, primers and lead. Plus whiskey, canned goods, TP and meds. BTW, "shortages" seldom last very long. It's all about the Economics of supply and demand.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 11:02 AM

I'm trying to think how many times I've heard this before, I'm guessing every four years since my birth. Now I'm trying to remember if I ever actually ran out of ammo and that would be no. This run on ammo is just something I don't understand but I didn't understand the run on toilet paper either.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

I'm trying to think how many times I've heard this before, I'm guessing every four years since my birth. Now I'm trying to remember if I ever actually ran out of ammo and that would be no. This run on ammo is just something I don't understand but I didn't understand the run on toilet paper either.

Some people just like knowing they have what others want. We see it every Christmas season when some toy becomes every parent and kid's must have.

I've built my supply for two reasons - The price is sure to increase and who knows what the future holds in terms of federal regulations.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 03:38 PM

I checked a distributor website yesterday for ammo
Very little ammo except for some of the more uncommon rifle and shotgun cartridges.

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/16/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Just bought some 9mm ammo for me 9mm pistol just bought payed little over $32.00 for box of 50.
confused2 what good is a gun if ya got no bullets ?
pappy

Their was a bunch their, limit of 2, only took one... Figured thar be others looking for ammo, it in short supply...
Supply & demand... scare tactics

Sure hope ya'll know what ya talken bout ? Me i still think man has played roll in global warming...
Got D- in grammer
flag

Re: Will ammo ever be available again ? - 10/18/20 12:48 AM

Big thanks to Patric (aka B-I-L) and MrC1G. They saw I was in need of some .380 acp and both offered to help me out at prices that haven’t been seen in years. There are some really great people on this forum... thanks Fellas!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum