Texas Hunting Forum

There goes AR "pistols"

Posted By: texjitter

There goes AR "pistols" - 10/06/20 08:38 PM

I bet this sets a precedence for all AR pistols in the near future....might be something to keep in mind if your AR has a short barrel and brace. Hopefully it all gets over turned though! Glad I went with pinned/welded 13.9 and 14.5 on my two current builds

https://mailchi.mp/liveqordie.com/a...zX3pfXzKHeG7n4PvI0Qe73NPrU6NS71VgqnIBe1c

This is the gun in question for those who don't know

[Linked Image]

Posted By: KRoyal

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/06/20 09:15 PM

Well that blows.., but figured it was only a matter of time really. Not sure what the Q brace any different than my Strike Industries PDW brace, mine is spring loaded and 2 position, not sure what the Q Brace is like.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/06/20 11:06 PM

I'm sure Trump will save us all crazy
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/06/20 11:22 PM

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sb-tactical-stands-with-q-llc-against-atf-honey-badger-ruling/
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
I'm sure Trump will save us all crazy

One things for sure, those damn democrats won’t save anything.
Posted By: Earl

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:02 AM

Well hell...that combined with the high cost of ammo may just convince me to sell my Sugar Weasel but I love the darn thing...this may not get resolved until after the election and if Biden gets in we all know how it will be resolved. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard from Q but maybe it's because the Cease and Desist is directed at the Honey Badger but I see it says plainly send us a Sugar Weasel to evaluate too. Bastages...

Anyone hear if they've asked for other manufacturer pistols too? I may SBR my DD MK18 before they get around to the nastification of it too.
Posted By: DeRico

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:17 AM

Normally you would get an approval letter from the ATF stating that the brace wouldn’t make pistols, SBR’s. What happened to those?? Q decided to say F that and screw all of their customers over?? I’m glad I haven’t purchased anything from them.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:45 AM

More gun laws under Trump than Obama?

Don’t hate

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05

Don’t hate

ATF flip flops on chit all the time, doesn’t have anything to do with Trump. You think Trump is worried about the honey badger right now. He has bigger stuff going on than a single gun out there.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Don’t hate

ATF flip flops on chit all the time, doesn’t have anything to do with Trump. You think Trump is worried about the honey badger right now. He has bigger stuff going on than a single gun out there.

Anyway...

More new gun laws under Trump or Obama?

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 02:01 AM

Don’t hate

Well ATF is under the executive branch... so I guess he can reverse the "decision" they come to.

But something tells me that's not going to work out in our favor.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 02:03 AM

Don’t hate

Well ATF is under the executive branch... so I guess he can reverse the "decision" they come to.

That’s my point, he could reverse it but I’d say he has a few other things to worry about at the moment compared to gun that less that 1% of gun owners have. Most probably don’t even know what the hell a honey badger is.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 02:08 AM

It's not so much about the honey badger.... this is going to have an effect on braces as a whole.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 02:09 AM

Don’t hate

But something tells me that's not going to work out in our favor.

Kinda like he stole bump stocks...

Turn em in!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 04:00 AM

Don’t hate

Do not argue with an idiot K.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 04:25 AM

Well that blows.., but figured it was only a matter of time really. Not sure what the Q brace any different than my Strike Industries PDW brace, mine is spring loaded and 2 position, not sure what the Q Brace is like.

Yeah, why is the honey badger brace a rifle stock, whereas my sb3 or your PDW is a pistol? This could be a PIA.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 05:56 AM

A bit misleading... Even IF ALL pistol braces were declared to be rifle stocks, AR pistols will continue to exist.
Posted By: SR025

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 06:12 AM

Don’t hate

Anyway...

More new gun laws under Trump or Obama?

It was a cease and desist signed by some special agent in Boston. I wouldn’t go all man crush on obama just yet.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 06:15 AM

It's not so much about the honey badger.... this is going to have an effect on braces as a whole.

This was not from the Technology Branch, it was from a SAC in Boston and directed at one manufacture. Not encompassing at all.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:14 PM

ATFE announced some time ago they would not approve any more braces as accessories, but only as a part of a complete firearm.

I do wonder if this Q (never heard of them before) and SB Tactical got approval from ATFE before making/shipping that design.

If they did, then take the ATFE (agent) to court and make them articulate the reason(s) for their ruling change.

If they did not, then shame on them.

I'm curious why their letter to customers doesn't offer the third option of simply removing the brace until their is a final ruling on it.

For the record: ATFE does nor make laws, they only publish rules (under the authority granted by the laws ~ passed long before Obama or Trump) needed to enforce the law.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:17 PM

Remember the bump stock ban...under Trump?
Posted By: RPG1997

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 01:41 PM

Don't forget his support of red flag laws too.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 02:44 PM

He's a New Yorker, he didn't grow up with guns. I pray he does what he normally does on most topics, listen to an expert.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
He's a New Yorker, he didn't grow up with guns. I pray he does what he normally does on most topics, listen to an expert.

lol
Posted By: SR025

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 04:30 PM

Guess it’s time to elect biden then

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SR025
Guess it’s time to elect biden Jorgensen then

FIFY
Posted By: Clayton1

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 05:31 PM

Sounds like they just upset the wrong person. Their brace is exclusive through SB Tactical, but other than shape and color it is the same as the other SB braces.

It was a matter of time, but I thought the Springfield .308 would have been the breaking point.

At one time there was a letter, if I remember correctly it was on the SB website at one time.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 07:34 PM

I don’t see how this could NOT be an SBR:

[Linked Image]

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 08:44 PM

Doesn’t look much different than my PDW brace from Strike Industries. Mine doesn’t even have a Velcro loop on it.

The laws are dumb as hell between the two. You can have a pistol brace (basically a stock with some Velcro on it) and shoulder it per ATF letters, yet a stock makes it a super dangerous assassin weapon. They need to do away with braces and remove suppressors and SBR’s from NFA and the ATF and us wouldn’t have to deal with this ignorance.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 08:47 PM

Pistol on top SBR on bottom.

Exact same caliber pretty much exact same gun but one requires a stamp and the other doesn’t. [censored] is ludicrous

[Linked Image]

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 09:44 PM

Doesn’t look much different than my PDW brace from Strike Industries. Mine doesn’t even have a Velcro loop on it.

The laws are dumb as hell between the two. You can have a pistol brace (basically a stock with some Velcro on it) and shoulder it per ATF letters, yet a stock makes it a super dangerous assassin weapon. They need to do away with braces and remove suppressors and SBR’s from NFA and the ATF and us wouldn’t have to deal with this ignorance.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

100%
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 09:47 PM

I’m not arguing the ridiculousness of the current rules, I completely agree. I am just saying that installing an extending “brace” on a pistol sure makes it appear to be an SBR under those rules. That’s what I believe got Q in hot water.
Posted By: Judd

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 10:08 PM

KRoyal....don't try to make sense of the bureaucratic BS, it'll just drive you crazy and in the end you'll feel dumber because of it. Truth is much like the trusts on suppressors (which I use to the fullest), the pistols are a loophole that have been exploited and we are one shooting away from losing them both in my opinion. Enjoy riding the wave while we're able.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/07/20 10:57 PM

I wonder if the ATFE somehow view the fixed cheek piece (buffer tube cover) combined with the sliding "brace" as being too close to a stock.

SB's original PDW brace didn't have that fixed cheek piece, just the usual metal tube.

Probably futile trying to read the mind of some Boston agent, but that's the only real difference I can see between the naughty brace and the PDW, SBA3 and SBA4.

Length of pull might be longer on the naughty brace as well, but hard to determine from a picture.

Either way, my pistols will still be pistols if all the braces disappear, but maybe I should stock up on foam sleeves.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 02:57 AM

Procraft05 you own the floor. Go ahead and speak your piece popcorn
Posted By: mudd

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 04:20 AM

AR pistol with a brace is kinda a joke honestly. U still have to shoulder it cause most ain’t going to shoot off the hip. Then others won’t register it as a SBR to avoid a stamp and wait time. Kinda agree with the ruling honestly. Take the brace off if u wanna call it a “pistol” AR

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by mudd
AR pistol with a brace is kinda a joke honestly. U still have to shoulder it cause most ain’t going to shoot off the hip. Then others won’t register it as a SBR to avoid a stamp and wait time. Kinda agree with the ruling honestly. Take the brace off if u wanna call it a “pistol” AR

ATF said it was ok to shoulder them soooo......
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 04:32 AM

Here’s a thought....

How about we do away with all firearms restrictions? You know, infringement and stuff.

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 01:36 PM

There isn't any need to shoulder an AR pistol to shoot it accurately, they don't have any recoil to speak of, unless you've built one in .450 or .458.

A good cheek weld is all you NEED, and that is easy with the buffer tube.

I'm not a fan of bolt action rifles, but if the ATFE reclassified them as sniper rifles and issued a rule adding them to the NFA registry, I wouldn't readily agree,
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 02:00 PM

My Vector 9mm pistol stock w/ 'Tail Hook" arm brace has the perfect cheek weld. No reason to shoulder whatsoever.

[Linked Image]

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Here’s a thought....

How about we do away with all firearms restrictions? You know, infringement and stuff.

But think of the children!!!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Here’s a thought....

You were nicer than I was going to be. He must not understand what freedom actually is.
Posted By: leswad

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/08/20 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
My Vector 9mm pistol stock w/ 'Tail Hook" arm brace has the perfect cheek weld. No reason to shoulder whatsoever.

[Linked Image]

Sweet!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/09/20 04:05 PM

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...uld-turn-3m-to-4m-gun-owners-into-felons
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/09/20 11:13 PM

Fake news.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: There goes AR "pistols" - 10/11/20 06:56 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

100%

[Linked Image]
rofl Things learned on texasHF...
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum