Texas Hunting Forum

AR pistol

Posted By: snake oil

AR pistol - 09/30/20 05:42 PM

Wanting a midrange AR lower and upper with a 8.5" barrel in 9mm. What would you guys go with? I have a new brace.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: AR pistol - 09/30/20 06:42 PM

Aero Precision announced a new PCC upper and lower combo that takes Glock mags. I know the release has been delayed because of the corona. You can see review and pricing on TFBTV YouTube channel.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: AR pistol - 09/30/20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Wanting a midrange AR lower and upper with a 8.5" barrel in 9mm. What would you guys go with? I have a new brace.

Are you definitely wanting a pistol caliber? 300BLK shines in a 8.5" barrel and will do way more damage than a 9mm will.

From what I've read, although I don't have any first hand experience with them, that pistol calibers in AR's are finicky. If I wanted a pistol caliber I'd go with one of the pistols that are built around the round like a CZ scorpion. Which doesn't help you since you already have your pistol brace and they aren't interchangeable between the two platforms. You can get an adapter for the CZ Scorpion to install AR type stocks, which would work for your AR brace, but you lose the side folding capability built into the other braces.
Posted By: toddjohnson

Re: AR pistol - 09/30/20 07:38 PM

I picked up a foxtrot mike fm9 a while back. It takes glock mags, it has been super reliable and fun to shoot. Run it wet and I I have never had an issue.
Posted By: LuckyDucker_TTU

Re: AR pistol - 09/30/20 08:08 PM

+1 for Foxtrot Mike. Shot my friends this weekend and I was impressed. It ate up steel cased 9mm with no issues. I’ll be looking to buy one in the near future.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: AR pistol - 09/30/20 09:22 PM

3rd vote for Foxtrot MIke's lower, they come with a nice buffer too... upper? Buy or build it as you like.

I'm not a fan of side-charging ARs so my uppers are not FM brand.

In fact I have a barrel over at Morgan's getting cut to ~8" this week which will go into a standard upper and be mated to a new FM lower.

Aside from the barrel, BCGs are the other pricey part of the upper - Foxtrot Mike makes a nice one.

Re: AR pistol - 09/30/20 10:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming guys. Please
Posted By: toddjohnson

Re: AR pistol - 10/01/20 01:57 AM

I have a 5” upper on mine and it’s the normal rear charging. I’m with you on the side chargers, not a fan.I tossed on a Sig Romeo 5 I had laying around and it’s super fun to shoot
Posted By: Misfire

Re: AR pistol - 10/01/20 02:10 AM

My PCC is probably my favorite gun to shoot. It’s just plain fun. Quarter Circle 10 makes awesome stuff, though I’m not sure what the availability is right now.. I have a dedicated PCC lower that takes the SMG mags. It is very picky about mags. You are on the right track with the glock mag lower. If I had it to do again, I’d go glock mags for sure.

Posted By: ccoker

Re: AR pistol - 10/01/20 03:33 PM

if you can swing it.. Wilson Combat
I love mine, it's is extremely accurate and has been 100% flawless and reliable.

I have the Glock mag version.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: AR pistol - 10/01/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by snake oil

Are you definitely wanting a pistol caliber? 300BLK shines in a 8.5" barrel and will do way more damage than a 9mm will.

From what I've read, although I don't have any first hand experience with them, that pistol calibers in AR's are finicky.

I think it helps to buy a dedicated upper and lower in 9mm.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: AR pistol - 10/01/20 09:51 PM

I have a PSA that has functioned flawlessly
Posted By: ccoker

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 01:06 AM

I can tell you from first hand experience, 9mm out of an 8" barrel is not to be underestimated.. I have shot quite a number decent sized hogs with them (all good behind the ear shots) at 20-30 yards and have had exits and a lot of blood on some of them.
Last year I aimed at the top of one's head at 100, just centered on it and it went straight down.
About 15 minutes later I shot a doe with a heart shot at 60 yards. Pass through, made it about 40 yards, lots of blood loss

This is all with the 135g +P Hornady Critical Duty.

Mine has a can and red dot and it's always one of the guns everyone wants to shoot and it is so cheap.

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 01:23 AM

Oh snake oil you know you want a micro 300BLK.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 01:37 AM

I do, can you build me one like that?
grin

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

grin

Absolutely send me the parts. Parts are hard to come by at the moment I’m still waiting on finding a Aero upper/lower for my 10.5” 556 build. Have everything else.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

grin

Absolutely send me the parts. Parts are hard to come by at the moment I’m still waiting on finding a Aero upper/lower for my 10.5” 556 build. Have everything else.

up

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 11:57 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am gonna have APR build one. Kyle can you PM the specs on your pistol please.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 12:50 PM

fwiw, PDW pistols and the ATF ruling on pistol braces brought the fun back to building and shooting AR's. My Seekins 10.5 inch gets a heck of a lot of attention at the range.

Re: AR pistol - 10/02/20 01:00 PM

Aero Texas Edition builders kit in FDE

Upper parts
6” Ballistic Advantage barrel
Kaw Valley 2.25” Magnum linear comp
7” Aero R-One rail
Troy Battle sights
Aimpoint PRO in Midwest Industries QD Mount
NiB BCG from Aim Surplus
Aero lowpro gas block
Aero pistol tube