Texas Hunting Forum

Browning A5

Posted By: Gw123

Browning A5 - 09/08/20 02:02 AM

I have a browning A5 I might want to sell but have no idea what it’s worth and I know almost nothing about browning in general. The browning I have is a Belgium made 12 gauge. It has a 30 inch barrel on it that’s fixed full choked, no rib just a bead on the end of the barrel. There is some engraving on the metal receiver. Metal and wood are both near perfect condition. I would say nearly 100%. Gun had not been shot much at all. It has the wring in it that you can swap around to shoot light or heavy loads.

The serial number looks like it had two parts. The top part reads “4M” and the bottom number is “61956”

I know it’s an older gun but I don’t know how to crack the browning code on figuring out exact year. Any info on year of manufacture and value would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Posted By: FTWshooter

Re: Browning A5 - 09/08/20 01:07 PM

I think the “4” is for 1964 and I know the “M” means standard weight

Value? That is the tough part, outside of Browning collectors, the old humpback doesn’t get much love these days especially in a fixed full, plain barrel configuration. I don’t quote the almighty Blue Book, but I would say if you want to move it I would price it between $450-550. Again just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Browning A5 - 09/08/20 02:25 PM

Maybe you should go get a new barrel for it that is set for choke tubes and use it a little more.
My Dad did that with his A5 and suddenly he was using it a lot more.
But keep the old barrel around in case you decide to sell at a later time.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Browning A5 - 09/08/20 02:38 PM

I know those Belgium A5 are azz kickers. Fun to shoot but not fun to shoot often or a lot. I have my Dad's Belgium A5 auto 12 with original purchase invoice. Original purchase was just a little more now that a good case of shells. David Mass on here may be able to help you more on identifying model year. Good luck sir.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Browning A5 - 09/09/20 12:41 PM

Send a PM to slowdrifter. I believe he collects them and answered some questions that I had.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Browning A5 - 09/09/20 12:55 PM

You can upload pictures, that will help with value, it will also let us know based on engraving on the metal and checkering on the stocks what if anything has been changed or reworked.

Follow this super simplified tutorial

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Should end up with a post like this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David7912

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 01:03 AM

Bought a sweet 16 and love it, it's going to my grandson hope you get pics up I like old Brownings.

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 04:02 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here’s pics of the A5 guys
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 04:16 AM

That is a nice Shot gun. I have a similar one in my safe. Probably pretty close on year too.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gw123

Here’s pics of the A5 guys

That gun has never been apart, I would start at $1200-$1300 and let the market dictate, but I think it will be snatched up at that price point, given that it is as new as a used gun can get
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 05:44 PM

Howdy. Yes, that is a standard weight 1964 model. I wouldn't take less than $1k for it given the condition and that the unmolested barrel alone is worth at least half that to the right people. Thank God it wasn't bastardized with a Polychoke or Cutts Compensator! The un-split forestock is also worth a pretty penny by itself. Many got split from over-tightening the barrel nut. Beautiful shotgun, sir. I'd make an offer on it but it wouldn't fill a gap in my stable. I'd have to offer you a "flipper" price and I don't play that game with A5's. Best of luck to you, and thanks for showing her to us! cheers

Edited to add: I assume, and pray, that the barrel is unmolested and intact since you didn't mention any such mortal sin in your description.

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Howdy. Yes, that is a standard weight 1964 model. I wouldn't take less than $1k for it given the condition and that the unmolested barrel alone is worth at least half that to the right people. Thank God it wasn't bastardized with a Polychoke or Cutts Compensator! The un-split forestock is also worth a pretty penny by itself. Many got split from over-tightening the barrel nut. Beautiful shotgun, sir. I'd make an offer on it but it wouldn't fill a gap in my stable. I'd have to offer you a "flipper" price and I don't play that game with A5's. Best of luck to you, and thanks for showing her to us! cheers

Edited to add: I assume, and pray, that the barrel is unmolested and intact since you didn't mention any such mortal sin in your description.

Thanks for the info sir and yes the barrel is unmolested gun is in 100% original.

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 07:57 PM

Thanks for the info y'all

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 08:37 PM

OK....Who was I kidding. I'm gonna' make you an offer. Where are you? bang lol
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 08:45 PM

OK....Who was I kidding. I'm gonna' make you an offer. Where are you? bang lol

roflmao

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 09:42 PM

I know this isn't the buying and selling place, but just to keep everything above board and to make sure everyone knows I'm not taking advantage of anyone, I'm offering $1200.00 for the A5 pending inspection.

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 10:50 PM

I know this isn't the buying and selling place, but just to keep everything above board and to make sure everyone knows I'm not taking advantage of anyone, I'm offering $1200.00 for the A5 pending inspection.

I appreciate the offer sir, but for the time being I’m going to hang on to it. Maybe we can make a deal at a later time.

Re: Browning A5 - 09/12/20 11:39 PM

Good idea! Don't forget I'm here! cheers
Posted By: David7912

Re: Browning A5 - 09/24/20 01:35 AM

Saw a light 12 in Lufkin last weekend close to that condition for 1000$.
Posted By: MO

Re: Browning A5 - 09/29/20 06:27 PM

I was born in 1952 , for Christmas 1964 , Dad bought me a A5 light 12, It was a couple of years before I could carry it afield all day,

I wish mine looked like yours, but it looks pretty good for a 56 year old shotgun. I think I will keep it smile

MO
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum