Texas Hunting Forum

Off the shelf AR

Posted By: TonyWornick

Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 03:51 PM

I've always been old fashioned and had bolt rifles. I don't want to piece together an AR, so looking for good off the shelf AR options, in that $1000 - $1800 range.
Daniel Defense has been atop my list, but looking for other manufacturers that everyone has had experience with.
rifle
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 03:52 PM

Larue, jp rifles, lmt, bcm, hk are all good

What features do you want? Barrel length? Use? Etc
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 04:06 PM

I'm a big fan of JP although it might cost a touch more than what you have listed. I know you said you didn't want to build one but I'm going to throw out one other idea just because I think it's a good one. I'm going to suggest that you buy a complete Upper from White Oak armament, and then visit with them about the lower controls to put in it and build your lower with the stock, trigger, Etc that you like. You'll end up with a damn good upper and accurate rifle and the parts that you like well within your budget. And you probably won't have any mystery issues that sometimes happen
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 04:16 PM

Rock River would be my pick in that $$ range.
JP if you wanted to throw another $500-1000 at it

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 04:17 PM

Thanks and thanks.

I figure it's time to invest in an AR, better to have and not need type of situation. The occasional hog or coyote that wonders by will get some lead slung at it.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 05:05 PM

I have a DDM4V11 and it has been an excellent rifle.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Rock River would be my pick in that $$ range.
JP if you wanted to throw another $500-1000 at it

This and the Daniel D. all very accurate. Trigger can be added later. I'm like you, Bolt gun guy, still am but I do have a Saint Victor AR Pistol .223 for rapid "engagement." It rides in the Titan.

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by okstatefan

Been leaning towards DD.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cleric
Larue, jp rifles, lmt, bcm, hk are all good

What features do you want? Barrel length? Use? Etc

Let me know where you found a HK for $1000-1800
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 07:34 PM

Wilson Combat complete upper......build your own lower......Spikes are good and reasonable price....
Posted By: trigger time

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 07:37 PM

I just got a POF revolution. Basically a ar-15 chambered in 308. The rogue is a little lighter and cheaper but same deal. Literally the size and weight of a 15 but in 308. Mainly got it for pigs, and looks like we are almost neighbors.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 07:54 PM

I have a dd complete upper on a home built seekins lower, so close to factory. I like it well enough. I ain't too crazy about ar's anyways so most are about the same at that price range.

The FN civilian version of the m4 they produce for the military is often over looked. Ironic a Belguim company can provide a fully made in America product with such good quality.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 08:13 PM

I like Rock River for the best bang for the bucks in your price range. Mine is the stock 18 inch varmint model with a 1:8 barrel and it will hold .5 MOA out to 600 yards running my handloads.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 08:37 PM

Had a RR Operator in LH. Was a tad heavy, but shot tiny groups. Would recommend.
Posted By: Roughneck913

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 11:30 PM

If thats a strict budget, I HIGHLY recommend Daniel Defense. We sell a PILE of them at work and the return/defect rate is stupid low. If you can go a little above it, Triarc and Knights Armament make absolutely phenomenal rifles as well, with a few more bells and whistles than a DD.
Posted By: Dove Murderer

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 11:47 PM

POF Renegade+. Almost as nice as the LWRC which is about $800 over your stated budget.
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 11:50 PM

Daniel Defense hands down.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/03/20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dove Murderer
POF Renegade+. Almost as nice as the LWRC which is about $800 over your stated budget.

Only the piston LWRC is over his budget. I would go with a DI LWRC.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/04/20 12:27 AM

Wilson Combat, hands down. Buy a complete upper. Order their lower from a dealer. Buy 100% of the remaining components from them also. You'll be at the top of your budget but you'll have the best there is with an accuracy guarantee. Put it together yourself, or reach out here for help. A lot of us have done it.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/04/20 12:31 AM

In that price range I have multiple Daniel Defense and Larue Tactical AR's and would recommend either.

For DD, the DDM4V7 (MLOK rail) can be had in pistol, carbine, light weight, and short light weight configurations.

For Larue since you don't want to build so the Ultimate Upper would be out (about their best deal) but you can get a factory PredatAR in your price range.

I have a couple of DDM4V7's and a PredatAR - like them all very much and highly recommend them.

Earl
Posted By: ChasCZ

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/04/20 11:32 AM

Palmetto State Armory and have money left over for ammo.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/04/20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChasCZ
Palmetto State Armory and have money left over for ammo.

I lot of money left over. PSA gives you a lot of bang for the buck. I have one of their 9mm pistol carbines. Great little gun.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/04/20 12:09 PM

Daniel Defense or BCM in your price range. They have numerous offerings in your price range.
Posted By: texjitter

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/04/20 07:27 PM

Can't go wrong with BCM, Triarc, or Sons of Liberty in that price range. Both Triarc and Sons are Texas based as well

https://triarcsystems.com/product/tsr-15-s-builder/

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/m4-exo2-m-lok-rifle-or-pistol-customizable/

http://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BCM-RECCE-16-MCMR-Carbine-AR15-p/bcm-carbine-750-750.htm
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/06/20 04:14 PM

One of the best deals out there at the moment is a Larue Ultimate Upper kit. Add a Larue lower and you’re at $1000.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/06/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
One of the best deals out there at the moment is a Larue Ultimate Upper kit. Add a Larue lower and you’re at $1000.

That is looking like an excellent options. I may sell some of my factory rifles and replace them with LaRue.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/06/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper

That is looking like an excellent options. I may sell some of my factory rifles and replace them with LaRue.

They are selling lowers now so Id jump quick. They are selling both ar15 and ar10 lowers, i believe $199 and $299.

The upper kits allow you to pick 5.56/300/6.5 grendel in different barrel lengths and contours. On the ar10 kits i believe its 308/260/6.5 creed. About $1500 for a Larue AR10 is a lot less than their factory rifles.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/07/20 03:25 AM

I've had a bunch. Rock River is the best value IIMHO
Posted By: kry226

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/07/20 04:11 AM

I'd pick up an upper from Eric at Blackstone Arms (a THF member) and mount it on an LMT or BCM lower with a decent trigger. Easily sub-MOA. Mine is.
Posted By: TARUGS

Re: Off the shelf AR - 06/08/20 01:50 AM

This. I have the tornado.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum