Texas Hunting Forum

is the .223 bolt gun dead????

Posted By: Buzzsaw

is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 05:08 PM

I sold my near and dear M700 5R bolt rifle. I now want to replace it, not sure why but I have SO MUCH .223 "stuff" !!! and most of you know, I'm selling my AR-15. don't criticize, but I have no use for it anymore.

The only .223 bolt gun which has me interested is the Christensen MPR chassis rifle @ around $2,000. Sako is not importing any of their new bolt guns in .223 neither is Tikka.

I DONT want a traditional bolt gun which is currently available, believe me I've seen them ALL. No Tikka T3 Varmints please, too heavy

I do like the CZ Varmint but barrel is too long. Want to stay at around 7#.

I have me .22 Creedmoor, so, I should just be happy, guess that's what I'll do.

may cruise over to Alamo and pick through their parts bin, see what I could get Robert to put together.

Just nothing very interesting in .223 anymore. confused2
Posted By: huck18

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 05:24 PM

I want a nice 223 bolt action trainer. Either a Tikka Tac or Tikka Varmint or semi-custom built on a Tikka action. I have a CTR in .308 but the bolt face won't work with a 223 build.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 05:37 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judd

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 05:42 PM

You had one of the better shooting .223's I've seen and you sold it....anything you've done or will do since putting it on the market has been a mistake.

Move on...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
[Linked Image]

I think you may truly have a problem.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judd
You had one of the better shooting .223's I've seen and you sold it....anything you've done or will do since putting it on the market has been a mistake.

Move on...
Posted By: dee

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 06:12 PM

Piece one together and do it with the correct twist unlike 99% of the box guns.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 06:47 PM

My wife's 223 varmint tikka is one of our favorite guns, and I mean both of us. I met my wife around 10 years ago at a time I started trying longer range shooting with a varmint 22-250. She wanted to try a little and I directed her to a 223 bolt gun and she decided on it being a Tikka varmint. We've both shot it a ton over the next few years. Fast forward about 3-4 more years of having babies, I am almost rediscovering this rifle during my reloading adventure. Great platform for me to test all sort of techniques and/or components of reloading.

Best guess, maybe about 1500 rounds through our and I'm probably going to keep going until I've either figured out literally everything there is to know about reloading or ware out the barrel.
In case you can't tell, I love 223 bolt guns. Even considering another in a light, 16" version .
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 06:49 PM

Love my Model 7 Remington. Has killed many critters over the past 30 years.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 08:49 PM

I have a left-hand Ruger GSR in 5.56 and love it. Don't get me wrong, the only time it has ever been on a bench was the initial sighting. I do not run a scout scope on that rifle, just a 1.5-8 in the traditional mounting position. It would probably never make a bench rifle and that is fine with me. It is my 2nd favorite rifle to carry in the brush.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 09:35 PM

My little CZ 527 premium 223 gets carried a lot, handy little rifle,

223 bolt action is far from dead, too much cheap ammo and too much fun.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 09:52 PM

I have 2 of them a Ruger M77 Mark II sitting at the back door for the coyote in the morning and a Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel love em both. The M77 rides in the SXS a lot with me. Both guns I've had for years.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 10:02 PM

Buzz shot your Remington today and it shoots awesome. Hardly any wind. Thanks again.

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Buzz shot your Remington today and it shoots awesome. Hardly any wind. Thanks again.

you are most welcome my friend, friend, friend, friend, friend ...............dang , i am cra !!! loco
Posted By: TAB

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 11:37 PM

Build one off a stiller action with a brux 7 or 7.5” twist in a #4 contour with a AI mag in a light fill mcmillan and a bixnandy trigger, with a 20 moa rail, and throw a 4-32x NX8 on that pig and hang on to it.. shoot the 75 grain amax over a full case of Varget or N140
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 11:43 PM

Just a suggestion. Probably about $3000 less than you want to spend but it has a fast twist.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/49182
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/21/20 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Love my Model 7 Remington. Has killed many critters over the past 30 years.

X's 2
Posted By: Greg

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 12:11 AM

I really liked that gun you built, Buzz, it was beautiful. I almost bought it from you, too. I can’t dog you for selling it as I sold the first AR I built. It had an 18” 1:7.5 twist 5.56 polygonal barrel made by pac nor for noveske and it was incredible. It ran like a sewing machine, and the groups I got from it(or should I say ragged hole) were amazing. I’ve kicked myself for letting it go many times. It shot everything well, but really liked the heavier 75 & 77 grain Sierra matchking BTHP’s. Go build you another one up
Posted By: Rounder

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 12:24 AM

I have a Tikka T-3 in .222 with whatever their nice wood stock was called. Perhaps forrester? Topped it with a Meopta 3.5x10. This has a sporter barrel and is light weight. It is very accurate. Buzz, if you bought one of these you could throw some extra money at new dies and some Lapua brass!
Posted By: breadman

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 12:31 AM

have several Remington 700, browning abolts,mossberg mvp,weatherby and love them all and they all shoot lights out .
Posted By: 603Country

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 01:10 AM

Buy a Tikka T3x super light in 223, take it to Chad or his favorite gunsmith in Dallas, have a heavier contour fluted 20” barrel put on it, and keep,it and shoot it.

But, before you do that, you probably need to give some thought as to why you want or need a new rifle, and will a new one satisfy you even if you spend thousands.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 01:22 AM

Buzz, I've got a Rem 700 and Savage Axis I'll sell you. They both will shoot and won't loose $$$ when you sell them.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 01:28 AM

I've said it to Buzz before and I'll say it again...

Quit switching things up. Get a few really good rifles, put in the time to make them shoot as good as they can, shoot them a ton, and enjoy.

Live with it, and become a better hand loader and shooter.

.223 is far from dead. Probably never will be. Bolt action .223 is one of the best cartridges to practice shooting. and varmint kill the planet has ever seen.

Punches outside its' weight class, and is probably the most economical centerfire rifle cartridge in existence.
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I've said it to Buzz before and I'll say it again...

Quit switching things up. Get a few really good rifles, put in the time to make them shoot as good as they can, shoot them a ton, and enjoy.

Live with it, and become a better hand loader and shooter.

.223 is far from dead. Probably never will be. Bolt action .223 is one of the best cartridges to practice shooting. and varmint kill the planet has ever seen.

Punches outside its' weight class, and is probably the most economical centerfire rifle cartridge in existence.

Wise words right here.

I used to think that I did a bunch of unnecessary gun trading...but I don't seem to have ever held a candle to Buzz!

Pick one that shows promise and spend the quality time to let it show you it's colors. The .223 in a good bolt rifle is a force to be reckoned with!

Mark
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 02:01 AM

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sauer-100-Pantera-223-Rem-Rifle-S1PA223.aspx
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I sold my near and dear M700 5R bolt rifle. I now want to replace it, not sure why but I have SO MUCH .223 "stuff" !!! and most of you know, I'm selling my AR-15. don't criticize, but I have no use for it anymore.

The only .223 bolt gun which has me interested is the Christensen MPR chassis rifle @ around $2,000. Sako is not importing any of their new bolt guns in .223 neither is Tikka.

I DONT want a traditional bolt gun which is currently available, believe me I've seen them ALL. No Tikka T3 Varmints please, too heavy

I do like the CZ Varmint but barrel is too long. Want to stay at around 7#.

I have me .22 Creedmoor, so, I should just be happy, guess that's what I'll do.

may cruise over to Alamo and pick through their parts bin, see what I could get Robert to put together.

Just nothing very interesting in .223 anymore. confused2

I’m a big fan of the 223 bolt. I don’t care for the AR platform either, but mine shoots great with hand loads. I’ll hold onto it and the ammo just in case I need to fire a lot of rounds in a hurry.
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 02:14 AM

.223 bolt gun dead? How can someone with a minimum shooting knowledge even write that? it's beyond me.
With a bolt 223 you can shoot 75 ELDM and heavier bullets. You'll get better ballistics at long range than a 308. Most of my guns are 223s, from twist 7 to 12 for different bullets. BTW you can't shoot in ARs the heavier bullets (too long) unless you shoot it single shot. The bolt 223 is the most versatile platform and we'll be all dead before bolt 223 is.
Posted By: Greg

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin1
BTW you can't shoot in ARs the heavier bullets (too long) unless you shoot it single shot.

Agree. The 77’s just barley fit in the mag... it was real close.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 04:47 AM

If I had a 2nd bolt gun and I shot more than I did now, it'd be a Tikka Varmint 223. I had one and don't regret selling it, but I just don't get to shoot as much as I did. That gun was crazy fun to shoot. No recoil and very effective out to 600 yards.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 12:01 PM

I have a left hand CZ 527 and it is fun and affordable to shoot. Like the 223!

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 04:19 PM

ive been lookin at these

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Agree. I like to bring one to the range with me when shooting bigger rounds just to get a break from recoil.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/22/20 08:12 PM

Buzz is a man with simple tastes, only the finest. 😊

Buzz,

while not fancy, the Ruger American in .223 is surprisingly accurate and pleasant as punch to shoot.

The stock is a bit flimsy in the forearm, but easy enough to stiffen with epoxy poured into the voids in the forearm.

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/23/20 02:50 AM

Buzz,

How about a HOWA HB Mini Chasis in Kuiu Vias Camo? It's certainly different.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/legacy-sports-hmac70222via-20-hb-mini-chasis/
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/23/20 07:44 PM

This discussion might have caught more attention had it been started today, 2/23.
Posted By: PonchoMike

Re: is the .223 bolt gun dead???? - 02/23/20 10:16 PM

Not at all! I have a cheap ole Mossberg MVP Predator in 5.56 I bought off of here several years ago. Takes AR mags.
Have an inexpensive Nikon P-223 3-9x40 on it.
It’s my go to rifle for anything but deer and up.
The shots I’ve made with it at night with nothing but a white light will astound you!
It is a tack driver!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum