Texas Hunting Forum

Guns.....or......hunting.....?

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 04:44 PM

I was not going to buy any guns this year and put my "play" money into my father / daughter hunt and maybe a cruise with the girlfriend or at least another trip to Galveston (LOVE the Strand !!)

Now, I see all these new guns coming out , I'm re-thinking.

What are ya'll going to do in 2020? Buying any new guns? Going on any hunts?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 04:48 PM

All the above... except the cruise or girlfriend
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:11 PM

I don’t know of any new guns I want. I’ll probably spend it on reloading supplies, glass, match fees, etc.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:13 PM

I don’t set limits on buying what I like when I like it.....except of course for the limitations of my slush fund balance at the time, lol.......looking hard at the Banshee.....
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

My perfect answer.

Seriously, I'd do the hunting trip but I have tiny children and have been dreaming for 4 years now about such a trip.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:24 PM

Hunting.

This house build has had me watching customers of mine putting animals on the ground the last two months, with ammo I made, and rifles I orchestrated for them. Happy for them, but I've felt like I'm missing out. So, for 2020, I'm hunting. I've got more than enough nice rifles and pretty decent pistols than one man needs, so I'm going to go use them.

Buzz, you'll cherish photos of you and your daughter hunting more than photos of guns. And when you die, you can Will those guns to her, but she would rather have the memories and photos of hunting with you. You also have plenty of nice rifles and pretty decent pistols than one man needs.
Posted By: janie

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:29 PM

Buzz, I've got two on my bucket list.

STI Staccato

S & W Shield PC .380

We lost our lease 2 years ago, and for 2020 come hell or high water, hubby and I are going to book a hunt. Even if it's only shooting fire ants in Nebraska. roflmao
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I don’t set limits on buying what I like when I like it.....except of course for the limitations of my slush fund balance at the time, lol.......looking hard at the Banshee.....

Just picked this up for my son in 10mm. Waiting on a RDS to show up and then we will be headed to the range. Should be a fun little toy.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 05:45 PM

Wife and I are saving for a new house, so the plan was not to buy much of anything...but then she goes and starts hunting and steals one of my guns. Now my boy has taken a liking to another one of my guns. Ugh.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 06:12 PM

Buzz, we’re 3 days into the new year , tell us about the new gun you’ve surely already bought

Prices are SO LOW right now it’s nearly impossible not to buy a gun , or three AND still go hunting ...

popcorn
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 06:48 PM

Buzz, can you make it 2 months without buying a gun? Start off in baby steps.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 08:12 PM

It’s only Jan 3rd Buzz roflmao
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 08:15 PM

JG's spot on.

"Buzz, you'll cherish photos of you and your daughter hunting more than photos of guns. And when you die, you can Will those guns to her, but she would rather have the memories and photos of hunting with you. You also have plenty of nice rifles and pretty decent pistols than one man needs."

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
JG's spot on.

"Buzz, you'll cherish photos of you and your daughter hunting more than photos of guns. And when you die, you can Will those guns to her, but she would rather have the memories and photos of hunting with you. You also have plenty of nice rifles and pretty decent pistols than one man needs."

I think Jason is RIGHT ON !!!!! Thank you Jason for the VERY kind words !!!

Thanks BF too !!!

I'm gonna try and resist flehan
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 09:28 PM

The Fireman nails it once again.

I’m building one specific use rifle and then I’m gonna figure a way to get a thermal. Everything else will be set aside for tags I hope to draw and planning hunts for the future.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/03/20 11:56 PM

All of the above, including a cruise off the coast of Singapore and lots of girlfriends. grin
Posted By: P_102

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 12:14 AM

Gotta replace a stolen (long ago) handgun, other than that: 4 days East Tx. fishing, 4 days chasing Smallies on Erie, 4 days hitting a little white ball with a stick at Myrtle Beach and finishing up with a bucket list trip to S. Dakota for pheasant.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
JG's spot on.

I think Jason is RIGHT ON !!!!! Thank you Jason for the VERY kind words !!!

Thanks BF too !!!

I'm gonna try and resist flehan

Agree, you can make a lot of memories by not buying any guns in 2020, especially with your tastes in rifles and optics.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
It’s only Jan 3rd Buzz roflmao

LOLOLOL!!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

All of the above, including a cruise off the coast of Singapore and lots of girlfriends. grin

scared
Posted By: Greg

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by P_102
Gotta replace a stolen (long ago) handgun, other than that: 4 days East Tx. fishing, 4 days chasing Smallies on Erie, 4 days hitting a little white ball with a stick at Myrtle Beach and finishing up with a bucket list trip to S. Dakota for pheasant.

Heck yeah... that sounds great!
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Theringworm
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Just picked this up for my son in 10mm. Waiting on a RDS to show up and then we will be headed to the range. Should be a fun little toy.

Just ordered the .300 BLKOUT. Looks fun, can't wait!
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 04:53 AM

Who are we kidding? It's an election year and even though we are all confident Trump will have no problem getting reelected, the run on ARs and ammo will start around July/August.

Buzz, resist and take your daughter hunting. Buy a good camera and start framing the great photos.

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

scared

Dam that’s funny right there! roflmao

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

scared

Dam that’s funny right there! roflmao

yingyang
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 05:42 AM

I’m pretty much set for guns. Only thing I might pick up is a concealed carry pistol at some point.

I’m pretty set for anything from mice to Moose so I’m concentrating on employing those weapons to collect game.

I have a Moose & Bear Hunt in Canada line up for October, a tentative whitetail Hunt in Wisconsin in November and will be looking to book my 2020 hunt for either a Mule Deer in Colorado\ New Mexico or a Red Stag Hunt out of country

Also, I plan to catch a few more trout on the Guadalupe before the season winds down

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 06:02 AM

Miss ya Skinner. I hope all is good in your hood buddy!

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 06:13 AM

Miss ya Skinner. I hope all is good in your hood buddy!

cheers I'll be home in March, be hollering at you soon amigo.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 06:18 AM

Buy experiences over things.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/04/20 08:56 PM

Most of us that frequent rifle forums would be better off spending more time/money shooting and hunting than acquiring more stuff. This is true in my case, I’m sure there are exceptions..
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 03:48 AM

I have enough guns...the only thing lacking is something .338 or larger and currently don't have any plans to go somewhere I will need it lol.

My goal this year is to shoot my handguns and rifles so much that I will have to rebarrel something out of necessity not out of want.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by LeonCarr
I have enough guns...the only thing lacking is something .338 or larger and currently don't have any plans to go somewhere I will need it lol.

My goal this year is to shoot my handguns and rifles so much that I will have to rebarrel something out of necessity not out of want.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Me too Leon, I'm kinda thinking about a .300 PRC but I dang sho dont need it,
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 02:18 PM

Buzz, all kidding aside you are like a lot of us,you really do not "need" any more guns but the want is always there for many of us. Save the $ and take time with loved ones, the memories made are better than the ownership of more toys,

I wish I had done more of that myself looking back. My fondest memories of hunts gone by are not that I used this new gun or that new gun but the fun times on hunts with Family and close friends.

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 03:07 PM

Buzz,

If you can't resist the urge, they do make factory rifles. Many are reasonably priced and shoot great. I wasn't sure if you knew the still make them. grin

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 03:35 PM

got a call into Mulie Mike popcorn

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
got a call into Mulie Mike popcorn

What are your thinking?

Maybe I will crash your party.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/05/20 05:51 PM

What is the point of buying guns if it means you dont get to hunt?

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/10/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Hunting.

This house build has had me watching customers of mine putting animals on the ground the last two months, with ammo I made, and rifles I orchestrated for them. Happy for them, but I've felt like I'm missing out. So, for 2020, I'm hunting. I've got more than enough nice rifles and pretty decent pistols than one man needs, so I'm going to go use them.

Buzz, you'll cherish photos of you and your daughter hunting more than photos of guns. And when you die, you can Will those guns to her, but she would rather have the memories and photos of hunting with you. You also have plenty of nice rifles and pretty decent pistols than one man needs.

Words of wisdom worth repeating and heeding.

Well said FJG. up
Posted By: Erny

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/10/20 12:06 AM

Well both I plan on going on hunts and buying at least one more rifle this year.

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/10/20 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Buzz, all kidding aside you are like a lot of us,you really do not "need" any more guns but the want is always there for many of us. Save the $ and take time with loved ones, the memories made are better than the ownership of more toys,

I wish I had done more of that myself looking back. My fondest memories of hunts gone by are not that I used this new gun or that new gun but the fun times on hunts with Family and close friends.

Another solid pearl. up
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/24/20 11:33 PM

Well, Buzz what you buy and hunt booked?
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/24/20 11:51 PM

Spend time, not money with the kids. It may involve spending money, but after my son died in a car wreck it was too late to make up for all the lost time working...for the "kids" yanno.

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/25/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Well, Buzz what you buy and hunt booked?

Sig Cross 277 Fury I think.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Guns.....or......hunting.....? - 01/25/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh
Most of us that frequent rifle forums would be better off spending more time/money shooting and hunting than acquiring more stuff. This is true in my case, I’m sure there are exceptions..

A few hours at the range with a good rifle is like taking a car you enjoy driving on a joy ride.

Still, there is no doubt those who buy a nice car and seldom take it out of the garage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum