Texas Hunting Forum

Biggest bore I’ve seen

Posted By: 603Country

Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/14/19 11:17 PM

Not talking hogs here. I visited my favorite cousin this weekend. He’s a hunter and gun collector and had a few new guns to show me. The new one was a beautifully made old English black powder rifle, and the caliber was a “4 Bore”. When I saw it, I thought it was a shotgun. The barrel was really big, but had rifling. Not a shotgun. He dug around on his bench and showed me a bullet the size of a large pecan. It was a 2400 grain bullet. Huge. Pretty sure the BC was not so hot, but nobody cares. I asked if he’d shot it, and he showed a video of him shooting a medium sized hog. Big cloud of smoke, impressive recoil, and very dead hog. Never ever have seen a bullet that size in a shoulder fired rifle.

His new general purpose light rifle was a left handed AR in 6.8SPC, but he had not hunted with it yet, so had no comments on how effective it is.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/14/19 11:23 PM

Pretty rare bird. Breach loader or muzzleloader?
I’m building a SxS 4 bore double rifle for a client which will be regulated with a 2000gr conical at 1300ish FPS, nitro-for-black load.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/14/19 11:27 PM

I have to admit that I was so focused on that giant bullet that I didn’t ask how it was loaded.

What in the world is your client going to do with a double barreled 4 Bore?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/14/19 11:56 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
[Linked Image]

That almost looks vulgar.

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I have to admit that I was so focused on that giant bullet that I didn’t ask how it was loaded.

What in the world is your client going to do with a double barreled 4 Bore?

Shoot it of course. Plans are to use it in Africa. Guy has a massive collection of big bore guns.
We’ve lightly discussed a 2 bore single shot...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 12:07 AM

So cool!

Back before smokeless powders came along the only option for more power was more powder pushing a bigger projectile.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 01:16 AM

4 bore was used quite often in Africa for the really big stuff back in the day from what I have read. It has been years but one wrter used one and wrote about it for elephant, it apparently worked well.

Think about it a round led ball of that diameter weighs 4 ounces.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 01:37 AM

1: hella cool!!!
2: hella ouch!!!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 01:38 AM

I have been asked about loading that round more than once. Finding the components were difficult and load info was scarce. I passed on the deal. But it is HUGE!
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I have been asked about loading that round more than once. Finding the components were difficult and load info was scarce. I passed on the deal. But it is HUGE!

I figured you’d just need half a can of FF black powder and a beer can full of lead per round roflmao
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 02:35 AM

The biggest bore I've seen, is when 2beez bent over to shoot the prairie dog stage. scared barf

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 02:42 AM

We’ll be turning cases on my CNC lathe, will be rather expensive since I don’t have the capability to do drawn cases.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
The biggest bore I've seen, is when 2beez bent over to shoot the prairie dog stage. scared barf

meh, I think it is time your wife takes your keyboard away from you oompa loompa...
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 02:50 AM

That is a missle of a round and not a bullet though scared
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 04:15 AM

Man, Id LOVE to check out that gun! Id give a $100 bill for a chance to shoot it.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 11:24 AM

Very cool. My father had a job at the saw mill when he was In High School. Part of his duties was starting the power plants / generators in the morning. the engine had a single shot 4 bore bolted to it.
He would load the blank prime the motor and pull the trigger to start the motor. I know some of the older WW2 prop plane motors were started with 2 bore and 4 bore blanks.
Heres a great vid of a 2 bore pistol and rifle. nuts
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 11:42 AM

Damn! A 44 pound rifle.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
4 bore was used quite often in Africa for the really big stuff back in the day from what I have read. It has been years but one wrter used one and wrote about it for elephant, it apparently worked well.

Think about it a round led ball of that diameter weighs 4 ounces.

Capstick writes about the 4 bore, saying they had to wrap the stocks in wet elephant hide and let them dry. This was to reinforce the stock due to it's habit of breaking stocks after extended use. Told another story about a man shooting one from horseback, he doesn't recommend ever doing that, it's a brutal dismount.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Biggest bore I’ve seen - 10/15/19 11:39 PM

.950”
2500 grain bullet at 2100 FPS...
29,000+ ftlb of muzzle energy.

https://youtu.be/-zq74AAeslc
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum