Texas Hunting Forum

Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of.

Posted By: Jon

Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 07:18 PM

I wish I had never traded or sold a single one of mine over the years but I guess the one I regret the most was a S&W model 66-2 that I picked up late on a Sunday afternoon a long time ago at Market hall from a couple ole boys from Arkansas that I guess needed some cash bad for the trip home. I think he finally came down to $175 and I snagged it. Hardly ever happens like that. But that pistol was the sweetest shooting revolver I ever had my paws on. Target sights and trigger and man was one sweet shooter. Can't remember what I traded it on but whatever it was I wish I had that Smith back instead.

My grandmas 22 single shot is higher up the list but a family member thought it was his and rather than make a stink, I let him have it. Colt Trooper, Redhawk, Red Label 12 gauge all get honorable mention on my list.
I bet this subject has already been posted more than once on here but thought it might be cool to hear you guy's stories about the one that got away. cheers
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 07:27 PM

Rem 788 243. Wife (now long time ex) pawned it when I was overseas. Just missed the deadline to get it back. Do kinda miss my Mossberg 500 slug gun that I sold a few years ago. Oh yea, almost forgot...Rem 870 Wingmaster 12 ga, first gun I bought my self, sold it at 15 for my first car. Car only lasted 30 days! Big regret there!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 07:31 PM

Anschutz model 164 sporter used to be mine. Shot awesome, finish was peeling off and you really aren't supposed to refinish older collectible type guns and a guy offered me several hundred more than I paid for it.

Recently I picked up a 54 sporter for not much more than I sold the 164 sporter for and it's much nicer and in pristine condition, so I have gotten rid of a lot of the regret from selling the 164.

Only other gun I regret selling at all was my Rock River AR-15, which was accurate and awesome. But I sold it for a nice profit and ended up picking up a Ruger AR556 years later for much less, so I'm fine with that too.

I don't get emotionally attached to very many of them. And I bought so many cheap guns when I was younger that I didn't mind selling them to buy higher quality stuff.

I do wish I'd bought a S&W revolver that my uncle was selling one time. I sold it for him to help him out, and let it go for $250. Crazy smooth action. Wish I'd bought it for that...
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 07:48 PM

Ruger M77 All Weather 300 mag—Boat paddle stock and shot pretty good.

Norinco 1897 copy. I always wanted one and then sold it a couple years later. That was a fun gun.

I’ve swapped and sold a lot of guns over the years. Those are the only two I miss.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 07:48 PM

Remington 700 BDL in 25-06. Had a redfield scope on it and the thing was solid. It was my truck gun, abused the heck out of it and it never lost zero.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 07:49 PM

Only one I really regret was my first gun. Single shot 410 NEF.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 08:06 PM

Sako Forester handi Hunter Carbine in 22-250.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 08:09 PM

I’ve only got one, and I could kick myself. It was the first AR I built. Like patriot07 it was a Rock River but I went with a pac nor/Noveske barrel, and man would it shoot. I have been chasing that kind of accuracy ever since.
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 08:16 PM

All original H&R M1 Garand in original finish. Got ahead of myself and needed to free up some cash. Sold it for $450 and I know the dealer turned it for double at the next gun show.
Posted By: spg

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 08:56 PM

10/22 22mag...……………….Only gun I ever sold, friend begged for it and bought for 50$ over what I paid new, now he wont sell back for 100$ over.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 09:46 PM

my M1A

It was not a very good hunting gun

it wasnt all that accurate either (compared to a bolt)

but man it was fun to shoot!!!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 11:28 PM

Although it wasn't an intentional loss, I regret loaning an old Ted Williams .22 to a co-worker to teach his son how to shoot, even though it seemed like a good thing to do at the time. It was the first rifle my dad purchased for me and I was foolish to let someone borrow it. The kid would later sell it for dope. Needless to say, I haven't loaned out so much as a pea shooter since.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 11:46 PM

Winchester Model 12 Featherlight.

Beretta 302, 20 ga......told coworker no, over and over, until he finally offered twice what I paid....told him it wasn’t worth near that much, he didn’t care.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 11:46 PM

Ruger 77/17. Walnut/blued.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/08/19 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Although it wasn't an intentional loss, I regret loaning an old Ted Williams .22 to a co-worker to teach his son how to shoot, even though it seemed like a good thing to do at the time. It was the first rifle my dad purchased for me and I was foolish to let someone borrow it. The kid would later sell it for dope. Needless to say, I haven't loaned out so much as a pea shooter since.

Real sorry to hear that, and I don’t blame you. That’s horrible!
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 12:08 AM

Winchester model 67 Junior. My first gun that went bang. I just picked one up a recent gun show and I'm loving it. 1937-1941 were the production years for this one.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 12:20 AM

In the late 80s I had almost every Remington 788 rifle made from 222 to the 44 mag except the 243 carbine and the left hand 6 mm got into archery and sold them all to one person in duncanville bang
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 12:30 AM

I still own my first gun, Ruger 10-22. I suppose I will have it till I die.
I kicked myself for selling my Marlin 30-30, I sure liked that gun.
I complained enough that my wife found a lady (on Craigslist of all places) selling a Winchester 30-30. She got it for me for Christmas. This was a 1950 Model 94 that had been wrapped up under this old ladies bed for well over 30 years (her husband died 30 years ago), in mint condition, not a single blemish. Talk about trading up
Posted By: GLC

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 12:34 AM

1978 bought a Remington Nylon 66 , mint condition, from a guy for 20 bucks. Sold it a few years back for 300. Bought a Marlin 30.30 from Woolco in 1976 when they were going out of business in Temple for 80 bucks. Sold it a few months later for next to nothing.
Posted By: janie

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 12:36 AM

No regret's but stung a bit to sell it. 70's series Colt Combat Commander in 38 Super. My son was way more important and still is.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 12:56 AM

A very ordinary Beretta 390 field model 12ga with wood stuck. Shot my first 50 straight with it in a skeet league shoot...I should have kept shooting that evening after the two rounds to see how far I could have gone. Targets were slow and large that day, and the gun wasn’t even there.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 01:03 AM

Bought new in 1983, Marlin 39A 22 LR. I didn't realize how great it was, thought all .22's shot one hole. I sold it to a family friend, I may be able to buy it back someday.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 01:19 AM

I'm about to sell everything

but i do regret selling my Colt 6" Python, High Standard Victor (.22 semi-auto match pistol) and Annie 141 Sporter (early bolt action .22lr)
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 01:26 AM

I don regret selling any of the few guns I have sold over the years. The one I miss was at an auction. Remington 16 gauge double barrel, I should have kept bidding and brought that thing home. I did get the wingmaster 16 gauge at the same sale.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 01:33 AM

Early Ruger #1 in .270 Win. It had a Redfield "wide-field" scope with a sort of square eye-piece lens. My hunting buddies convinced me that only 1 shot was not enough for a quick follow up. Dumb advice & modern single-shot rifles are my hunting preference now.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 02:02 AM

Model 1878 Sharps-Borchardt In 219 Zipper. Was a 1930's vintage varmint rifle. I traded for something I don't remember. Young and dumb.
A Remington Classic in 257 Roberts.
Then there was the Steyr AUG.
I never sell anymore.

M
Posted By: Erny

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 02:07 AM

My first single shot 20 gauge and a Glock 10 mm
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 07:48 AM

HK P7
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 10:32 AM

Colt python 357, Browning semi-auto 300 win mag, Smith and Wesson 686 44 mag, Remington Left Hand 11-87 12 gauge, Ruger Blackhawk 357, Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 30-06, Savage 99 243, some I don't recall. Interesting topic.
Posted By: MO

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 01:47 PM

Ruger #3 in 22 hornet.

Sold several pieces to buy a computer , but that was the one that still hurts. Really bad decision. The the computer has been replaced several times over, Should have found a different way to finance it.

MO
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MO
Ruger #3 in 22 hornet.

Sold several pieces to buy a computer , but that was the one that still hurts. Really bad decision. The the computer has been replaced several times over, Should have found a different way to finance it.

MO

Gee, almost makes me cry just hearing about that one! crycrycry
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 02:13 PM

HK 94...bought it new in 87' and when I shipped out to Germany in 88' I sold it because I didn't want to deal with storage. Always thought I could buy another one when I came back stateside in 93'.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 03:28 PM

Probably 60 years ago sold a Winchester 22 automatic to a friend, he gave me a small down payment but never paid the balance. Should have known better but needed the money.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 03:45 PM

I haven't sold many and the ones I have parted with were bought used. Outside of my first deer rifle and 3-4 that I inherited, they're all just tools.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 04:10 PM

Not me, but my wife's grandfather got rid of a couple lever action octagon barreled rifles when he moved into retirement home/apartment living. He gave me and another grandson-in-law each a rifle, I got the Winchester Model 94 30-30, which is still in pristine condition. My BIL got a .300 Savage. I made out better on that deal!

I had only seen his octogon barreled rifles once, one was a .38-40, which I had never heard of at the time. Afraid to say that a local gun shop in Albuquerque/Santa Fe likely took advantage of him and my wife's uncle who didn't know much about the value of what they had.

That 30-30 will never leave the family and I can't wait until my son and I each have an opportunity to harvest an animal with it.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 04:49 PM

I semi collected 1976 "Made In The 200th Year Of American Liberty" Rugers. Had a Single Six, Security Six, Mark I, Blackhawk, 10/22 and a 77. Only ones I have left are the Single Six and Mark I. Really wish I still had those other four.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 04:51 PM

Never sold one.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 06:09 PM

I don't think I have sold or traded a gun that I don't want back. The ones I miss the most are the rifle I harvested my first deer with, and an old Winchester 20 gauge model 12. The model 12 was a very special gun, given to me by my landlord at the first place I lived on my own. I pawned it for almost $300 and there is no telling what it was really worth then or what it might bring today. I just know pawn brokers will only give you about a third to maybe a half what a gun is worth.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Rem 788 243. Wife (now long time ex) pawned it when I was overseas. Just missed the deadline to get it back. !

Same here. Sold a Model 788 in .243 to a friend and regretted it the minute the gun was out of my hands. Fantastic shooting gun bang
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 07:34 PM

All my class III weapons.
Posted By: Rounder

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 10:11 PM

Several Pythons, a 70 series Gold Cup, a Diamond Back in .22, H.S. Victor and a sweet Sako in .308. Probably should of held on to one of several pre-ban AR's and oddly enough a Colt SAA .45 XIT Ranch commemorative.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 10:21 PM

most all of them, easier to say what I didn't regret
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/09/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
HK 94...bought it new in 87' and when I shipped out to Germany in 88' I sold it because I didn't want to deal with storage. Always thought I could buy another one when I came back stateside in 93'.

That one hurts, I’m a big HK fan myself

For me, it’s not a huge one but I had a Win Model 70 in 30-06...I’d buy that one back

I had all the faith in the world in that rifle, never missed and deer never took a step
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 01:59 AM

First year production S&W 6" 686. Best shooting revolver I've ever had.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 08:45 PM

stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag.

Was a state troopers gun before I had it and he had a hammer/trigger kit put on it...it was smooth as butter.

I sold it to a buddy of mines dad and I have thought about asking him to sell it back to me but I am hesitant.

I used the proceeds to start a business.....that never got off the ground.

only gun I ever regretted selling
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jon
I wish I had never traded or sold a single one of mine over the years but I guess the one I regret the most was a S&W model 66-2 that I picked up late on a Sunday afternoon a long time ago at Market hall from a couple ole boys from Arkansas that I guess needed some cash bad for the trip home. :

I had a S&W 66 with a 3" barrel and rounded grip. I sold it because I thought that I had to have one of those new fangled Glocks. Big mistake.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 09:37 PM

Two of them.

1. Remington 788 in .243. I had mistakenly lost some faith in the .243 mostly due to campfire talk, and was in need of funds.
2. Thompson/Center Hawken .45 muzzleloader. I just needed more funds.

I sold both to members here. If either of you are done with them, I'd gladly buy them back!! up
Posted By: hawk

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 10:43 PM

A nickel Colt Python.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 10:51 PM

Everything I own is for sale for the right price, except the wife and kids. I do have a Browning Superposed that would be hard to buy, but for the right price I wouldn’t regret it. I have some nice dogs too but everything has its price. The only gun I wish I still had was a marlin 30-30 that was stolen out of my truck 20 years ago. I’d like to have that one back.
Posted By: Lochsley123

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 10:59 PM

Sauer 202 in a 308. Sold it to a member on here. Still kicking myself for that one
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/10/19 11:15 PM

Iv never sold a gun have had a Howa axiom 1500 and browning abolt 300wsm stolen before but pretty much been using the same guns forever
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/11/19 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by colt45
most all of them, easier to say what I didn't regret

Realistically, I feel the same way. I didn’t buy ANY I didn’t like. Glock 23, 27, 30SF, AR-10, RIA 3” 1911 that I worked over, Ruger 77/17, Sako forester 22-250, Winchester Varmint 70 in .243 dipped in gameguard cano, .257weatberby S1. Should have kept them all.
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/16/19 05:40 PM

Being a long time gun nut Ive owned most everything you can think of more often than not always had a different rifle and shotgun for the next hunting season, same with scope and binos, I think the quest has always been more important than the ownership. If I ever missed something I sold or traded the quest showed up and I had something to find again
Posted By: Loaded

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/19/19 08:42 PM

My biggest regret with guns is selling my 6" stainless Python in the 90s.
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/20/19 03:24 PM

My father's Winchester Model 70 .270 bolt action. Had a 4x scope on it. Sold it during the 80's when I was out of work for several weeks. Sure wish I had that one back.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/22/19 01:14 AM

Smith Enterprise built “Supermatch” M14
Posted By: rex47

Re: Which gun(s) do you regret the most getting rid of. - 09/24/19 04:11 PM

I am still whining over a Ithaca 10 ga. 3 1/2" mag i missed at an auction, was a police model, parkerized, two barrels 18" and 30" with original case
but did get away with a colt 1877 (thunderer) 41 cal made in 1897 looks lok knew NOT FOR SALE
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum