Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressor opinions needed

Posted By: EasyMoney

Suppressor opinions needed - 06/05/19 09:42 PM

I’ve got a omega in jail right now and it should come in any day I hope! I’m going to go ahead and start another one since I’m starting a trust with my wife. It’ll be for a 6.5 cm 300blkout 300wm. I was thinking the Q thunder chicken but no one I know has one just retailers pushing a brand. I bought the omega first so it would fit anything I had I’ve heard it’s not the best so just wanted to see what first hand experiences any one on here has had. I know it needs to be rated for 30cal for when we both use the 300blkouts pig hunting.thats really only mandatory requirement I have.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/05/19 09:50 PM

I'm partial to my YHM Phantom 30. I've got 2 30cal suppressors and a 5.56 suppressor, I still run my YHM Phantom with QD mounts on all my rifles. It is Magnum and machine gun rated. Rated all the way down to 8" barrel on 300BLK supers and 10.5" for 556/308. Mine is the SS version and heavy, but it is a tank and is still my favorite suppressor. My buddy has a Phantom, but is the Ti model and the weight reduction is a big difference I wish I had gotten the Ti to begin with.

Also take a look at the YHM Nitro
Weight:........................18.2oz / 20.2 oz.
Diameter:.........................1.562”
Length:...........................6.93”/ 7.75”
Construction:..................17-4 Ph SS
Direct Thread:....................5/8-24
Decibel Rating:..................135 dB

7.62x51 / .308 Winchester: 10.5" minimum barrel with Q.D. muzzle brake, 16" minimum barrel with Q.D. flash hider.

5.56 NATO, 6.8SPC, 7.62x39: 10.5" minimum barrel with Q.D. muzzle brake, 16" minimum barrel with Q.D. flash hider.

.300 Win Mag / 300 RUM: 20" minimum barrel length with Q.D. muzzle brake or flash hider.

300 Blackout: 8" minimum barrel with Q.D. muzzle brake, 16" minimum barrel with Q.D. flash hider.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/05/19 10:07 PM

My top pick is a Crux (pronounced "Crow") out of Conroe, TX. The design on the baffle system inside is engineered to spread out the gases better than any suppressor on the market.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/05/19 10:50 PM

You might find this interesting......I have a YHM Resonator in jail now.

https://www.dakotasilencer.com/wp-c...eviewed-The-Truth-About-Guns-Article.pdf
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/05/19 10:50 PM

For price the YHM Resonator is a great option. It’s full auto rated, quiet, and very light. It’s basically the same weight as the TI version. Around $400 with a break mount.
Side by side the Resonator sound the same as my silencerCo Omega 300; both on 308 bolt action rifles. The Resonator is stays on my deer rifle.

If you really want to abuse something then get a Rugged or Dead Air; most people aren’t hard enough on a can to need this level but if you want to do mag dump after mag dump or beltfed it can handle it.
Posted By: dee

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/05/19 11:02 PM

Thunderbeast is tough to beat too.
Posted By: EasyMoney

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 01:40 AM

Fairly impressed with the YHM resonator. I can buy 2 for the price of the Q

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by EasyMoney
Fairly impressed with the YHM resonator. I can buy 2 for the price of the Q

Can’t go wrong with it. If I needed another 30cal suppressor probably what I’d be buying.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:19 AM

I second Thunderbeast.
Not sure this means anything but a few weeks back when I was seeing some sales on Suppressors I checked with my TB dealer and he said they were pretty backlogged and he was waiting 6-8 weeks for a serial number. Sales must be good?
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:25 AM

This is my first one, and do not have near the experience with them as you guys do. Only one I've ever shot was the Harvester, and it seemed nice to me. I'm sure looking forward to getting it I know that.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:31 AM

I have a Trash Panda in jail.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
This is my first one, and do not have near the experience with them as you guys do. Only one I've ever shot was the Harvester, and it seemed nice to me. I'm sure looking forward to getting it I know that.

Know someone with a harvester and it is a great can. You will not really like that one.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 03:19 AM

Be careful because some require you to put on a disgusting mounting [censored] ( muzzle device). Some nice bolt guns look like crap with the [censored] dangling off
Posted By: Crews

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 11:28 AM

Thunderbeast is the gold standard for a reason. They are very repeatable, simple, and light weight. I've got an Ultra 5, and it has been just ridiculously nice to have over the years. It's very small, and only weighs like 8 ounces. It's been very effective on an 8" 300blk and 12.5" 6.8 SBR, as well as various 6.5 Creedmoor bolt actions with barrels from 16.5" to 24". The sound with every one of those rifles has been just about the same to me as the shooter. About like a 22 mag going off. It's not the quietest can in the world, but very capable of knocking the noise level down to where it's comfortable and I'm not causing myself any hearing damage. Shooting 40 rounds out by yourself at the rifle range? Yeah... probably a good idea to at least put in some earplugs. But out in the field, ZERO need for hearing protection. It's about as good as it gets for such a small can that doesn't get in the way.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 12:15 PM

Thunderbeast Ultra 7' worth the extra coin. up
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 12:22 PM

I have tested a bunch of them from the Silencer Shop over the last 5 years...
In all honesty, there isn't THAT much difference in perceived loudness to the shooters ear assuming the same size can.
Shorter cans just aren't as quiet as longer ones, can't beat physics, more internal volume is always going work a bit better.

Having said that, most of the time out hunting I run my short cans.
Pigs or deer are impacted just the same....

Mounting type, repeatable, no POI shift, light weight and and short are my top priorities.

If I were to have to start over, I would get one titanium mid length 7-7.5" can with a taper mount.

My personal centerfire rifle cans are Crux, had two before they changed the name from Templar Tactical, then got two more.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 01:20 PM

Per me research last year, decibel reduction is pretty close among the makes and models I compared. The next step is which can is the smallest, and lightest. Not that I'm wealthy, but price didn't matter. It is one of the few items to purchase that will last all of your life. In the end, the winner per my spread sheet was Crux Ark Neo.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Not that I'm wealthy, but price didn't matter. It is one of the few items to purchase that will last all of your life. In the end, the winner per my spread sheet was Crux Ark Neo.

Agree, with a 12 month average wait, it's worth paying more to get what you really want. I'm about half way through my wait period for my Q Trash Panda.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 01:55 PM

may order a thunderbeast since they are the best

I should get my Omega 300 anytime near September 14th when I bought it.

BUT

I may get a .22 suppressor for my future VuDoo bolt

Question:
can you shoot a .22 through a .30 cal suppressor?

Better buy all you want now, they will soon be outlawed because of idiot lefties who still call them silencers
Posted By: Judd

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 01:59 PM

Life is too short to carry around heavy cans...

That's my opinion on the subject. I have a regular Shark suppressor, it's been a good one and David is awesome to work with. My next one will most likely be a Crux Niemisis, just haven't spent the cash on it yet.

For the money, the Harvester is hard to beat.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Question:
can you shoot a .22 through a .30 cal suppressor?

Yes as long as it is user serviceable because 22 is really dirty you'll need to clean the suppressor.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Life is too short to carry around heavy cans...

That's my opinion on the subject. I have a regular Shark suppressor, it's been a good one and David is awesome to work with. My next one will most likely be a Crux Niemisis, just haven't spent the cash on it yet.

For the money, the Harvester is hard to beat.

I have an Omega and a Harvester, and other than length, I might like the Harvester better (am very happy with both). I notice the price on the Harvester has continued to go up. When I originally bought mine I think I paid ~$450.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 02:36 PM

Funny, the only cans I've seen go down range with the bullet were Thunderbeast cans.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Thunderbeast Ultra 7' worth the extra coin. up

^
Posted By: huck18

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
My top pick is a Crux (pronounced "Crow") out of Conroe, TX. The design on the baffle system inside is engineered to spread out the gases better than any suppressor on the market.

I have had the Nemesis 6" for about 5 years. No complaints.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 08:47 PM

I have an Omega 300 which gets used on both my 10.5" .300AAC, and my 12" 6.5 Grendel - no issues / no complaints.

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/06/19 09:02 PM

Dead Air Sandman Ti is now my favorite 30 caliber can. Direct thread, not welded closed and I can screw on a 5.56 endcap for that use too.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 12:38 AM

Some old guy once told me everyone thinks what they bought is the best.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Some old guy once told me everyone thinks what they bought is the best.

Any guy from the internet told me the same thing
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 01:53 AM

Funny, the only cans I've seen go down range with the bullet were Thunderbeast cans.

But, but, Buzz said they are the best...

I've seen two SilencerCo Omegas go down range. They made it right both times, because their QD was at fault.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 02:06 AM

You can find issues with all brands....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Crux-suppressors/20-487765/

I own several different brands and only had problem with one and it was taken care of. I will say I have shot more different TB’s than other brands and have not had any problem so far.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by DStroud
You can find issues with all brands....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Crux-suppressors/20-487765/

I own several different brands and only had problem with one and it was taken care of. I will say I have shot more different TB’s than other brands and have not had any problem so far.

Wow, I thought crux just had bad customer service

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 02:44 AM

I have seen more Surefires launched than anything.. their mount is far from "idiot proof"

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 02:46 AM

I’ve shot 1000’s if rounds through my YHM on several different platforms and calibers all QD mounts and it has never even loosened. Now I have sent a suppressor cover down range before.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 02:59 AM

Direct thread is the way to go.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 08:40 AM

Was it quiet when it hit the ground?

I've had an AAC SDN6 for about 10 years and a Silencerco Harvester since they came out (5 years?). Both are great. I use the Harvester a lot more just because it is lighter.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Direct thread is the way to go.

I used to think so when I first got into cans..
My position has changed where I think taper mount is better:

Provides a consistent lockup up for accuracy
The don't loosen like a direct thread can
More mounting options for different rifles

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/07/19 07:55 PM

I just don't see the extra 100 bucks per gun for each taper mount is worth the money.
Posted By: Clayton1

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/08/19 10:20 AM

I own three “Q” suppressors and one from Rugged. All things considered the Q suppressors are my favorite.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/08/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clayton1
I own three “Q” suppressors and one from Rugged. All things considered the Q suppressors are my favorite.

Good to hear. I have one coming eventually, my first suppressor.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/09/19 02:28 PM

I just don't see the extra 100 bucks per gun for each taper mount is worth the money.

I think it's well worth it for a cry once lifetime purchase. Also enables you to buy one 30 caliber can that you can fit on multiple barrel profile and caliber sizes. Or would you rather buy another can for the fit?

What 30 cal can can you buy that you can just screw on multiple caliber and barrel profile sizes?

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/09/19 02:44 PM

I think it's well worth it for a cry once lifetime purchase. Also enables you to buy one 30 caliber can that you can fit on multiple barrel profile and caliber sizes. Or would you rather buy another can for the fit?

What 30 cal can can you buy that you can just screw on multiple caliber and barrel profile sizes?

As long as your gun has the meat to be 5/8 thread you’re good.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/09/19 02:49 PM

The thread size is not the only requirement. You could have a smaller barrel diameter with the same thread count and it's not going to fit.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/09/19 09:49 PM

I'm new to game and purchased a sig srd7.62 qd( 17 month wait) with 4 different mounts one half inch and three 5/8 locked em down with rockset and have mounted the can numerous times on the qd.
Its considerably more quiet and has improved the accuracy on both my grendels 1 ar and 1 bolt. It has done well with my creed as well. Still working on my 223 I have an adjustable gas block coming
for it.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/10/19 02:15 AM

The thread size is not the only requirement. You could have a smaller barrel diameter with the same thread count and it's not going to fit.

That doesn't even make sense 5/8-24 is 5/8-24.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/10/19 02:44 PM

Ok then I will explain: I have a .308 with the same thread count but a larger barrel profile(diameter) than my 6.8. The can would not fit both barrel profiles unless I added the wedge/brake made to fit the 6.8 barrel profile and the brake/wedge is made thicker or wider to accept the 30 cal can.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/10/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/10/19 03:04 PM

Ok then I will explain: I have a .308 with the same thread count but a larger barrel profile(diameter) than my 6.8. The can would not fit both barrel profiles unless I added the wedge/brake made to fit the 6.8 barrel profile and the brake/wedge is made thicker or wider to accept the 30 cal can.

Unless your can comes past the shoulder back over the barrel, that still doesn't make any sense. As long as there is enough barrel to shoulder against the can on both rifles, you should be good to go.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/10/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Unless your can comes past the shoulder back over the barrel, that still doesn't make any sense. As long as there is enough barrel to shoulder against the can on both rifles, you should be good to go.

Your "as long as their is enough barrel" is the answer to your question. There are many different barrel profiles that are thicker in diameter than others. My 6.8 and 6.5 CM are thinner profile barrels that would not fit my 30 cal can without the wedge/brake.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/11/19 11:38 PM

So basically you have pencil thin barrels that aren't large enough to be threaded 5/8-24. I can see the use of a adapter for that application.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/12/19 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
[quote=Pitchfork Predator]The thread size is not the only requirement. You could have a smaller barrel diameter with the same thread count and it's not going to fit.

Your "as long as their is enough barrel" is the answer to your question. There are many different barrel profiles that are thicker in diameter than others. My 6.8 and 6.5 CM are thinner profile barrels that would not fit my 30 cal can without the wedge/brake.

No offense, and I understand what you’re saying, but you aren’t explaining it very well. By thread count, I assume you mean thread diameter and pitch, such as 1/2”-28 and 5/8”-24tpi. I’m pretty sure “thread count” is only used to describe how soft your bed sheets will be..

I think you’re saying an advantage to brake attach, taper mount, or QD mounted suppressors is that you can easily adapt between different muzzle thread diameters on multiple barrels to utilize one suppressor. This is true, and I do that myself. That’s not to say you can’t use a simple thread adapter with a direct thread attach can also

Your statements about different size brake/wedges and barrel contours for different bore sizes seem confusing though. The size of your suppressor mount doesn’t change to suit caliber or barrel contour, only the inner female threads on said device would change to suit different muzzle threads. And most 308, 6.5 and 6.8 barrels are standard threaded 5/8”-24, although there are exceptions

I agree brake and taper mounts can help adapt when mounting a suppressor on multiple hosts. As Charles pointed out taper mounts can also provide a very consistent, solid lockup when screwing on your suppressor. But these type mounts aren’t the only way, and many of the QD type mounts are unnecessary for most THF type guys uses (hunting and recreational shooting). There’s nothing wrong with a direct thread can, especially for a guy who only wants to run a suppressor on a few similar rifles and doesn’t want to spend the additional $100 each.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/12/19 12:18 PM

Thanks for explaining better than I was able to. up
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 06/12/19 01:18 PM

I’d recommend Thunderbeast. Specifically the Ultra 7, great product!
Posted By: woods and plainsman

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/03/19 05:23 PM

I'm about to get an Omega 300 whenever uncle sam decides its ok, they just changed wait time estimate from 9 to 10 months on me. I'm planning to attach the omega to a 6.5 creedmoor and a 300 WM. I'm leaning towards using the ASR mount with muzzle break on both guns and swapping the suppressor versus the direct connect, with the added cost of an extra muzzle brake. With the 300wm, don't the benefits of the muzzle brake outweigh the benefits of going direct connect? I like the simplicity and less cost of direct connect but think the benefit lost when not using the muzzle brake is important. I'm not an expert just looking for experienced opinions.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/03/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by woods and plainsman
I like the simplicity and less cost of direct connect but think the benefit lost when not using the muzzle brake is important. I'm not an expert just looking for experienced opinions.

What benefit is lost when not using the muzzle brake?

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/03/19 11:24 PM

So basically you have pencil thin barrels that aren't large enough to be threaded 5/8-24. I can see the use of a adapter for that application.

I might go this route on pencil barrel 6.8 spc bolt gun I have. I'm trying to determine if it will shoot good enough to thread or if I need a barrel upgrade.
Posted By: cos

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/04/19 01:41 AM

Any one use Innovative Arms. I finally got mine after 10.5 months. 7.62 LDSP

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/04/19 02:26 AM

Since paying and waiting for one is such a pain, I would choose one with the ability to run DT or with a muzzle device in case you want to change.
Posted By: woods and plainsman

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/05/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I like the simplicity and less cost of direct connect but think the benefit lost when not using the muzzle brake is important. I'm not an expert just looking for experienced opinions.

I'm trying to reduce recoil as much as possible, its for my daughter. I assume a direct connect would have more recoil than if I install the ASR quick disconnect over the muzzle brake?
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/06/19 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

I'm trying to reduce recoil as much as possible, its for my daughter. I assume a direct connect would have more recoil than if I install the ASR quick disconnect over the muzzle brake?

I have seen no discernible difference in recoil between my direct thread suppressors and the ones that use the ASR mounts. You get a significant recoil reduction with any suppressor and I have found that with younger shooters a lot of times it actually isn't the recoil that is the issue, it is the muzzle blast. Once that is gone, they tend to handle shooting much better. The recoil reduction is just a bonus.

A quick anecdote to show my meaning here. While at the range this past weekend, a gentleman showed up with his daughter and son. I didn't ask, but I would put the daughter at 11-12 years and the son at 12-13 years. Dad had a variety of rifles, all of which had muzzle brakes on them. He also had an Omega suppressor. They first lined up with what I found out was a 6.5 Creedmoor with a radial style brake. He talked his daughter through the aiming process and trigger control. As soon as the shot went off, she burst into tears and all I heard was "it kicks too much". Her dad preceded to argue with her that because of the brake, it didn't kick her that much at all. However due to the brake and the muzzle blast, she was equating the blast to the "kick". After a while of her crying it out in the truck and her brother doing an excellent job of talking her back to the bench (Dad was being a bit of a tool). He got her to shoot the .300 blackout bolt gun with the suppressor. She had no problem. He then put the suppressor on a .308 bolt gun. Again, she shot that with no problem. I can pretty much bet that the actual recoil on the .308 with the suppressor was in line with or even a bit more than the Creed with the brake, but without the muzzle blast, she didn't seem to notice at all.

This is why suppressors should be removed from the NFA post-haste!

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/06/19 03:08 AM

^^^^^^ Excellent post. I'm a lot like the 11 year old girl. I can't stand the blast/noise from a muzzle. I'd rather take the recoil. The suppressor is amazing because it reduces recoil and eliminates the blast.
Posted By: rhettsker

Re: Suppressor opinions needed - 11/06/19 03:12 AM

HandgunHTR,

Truly a great post and absolutely spot on. Should be required reading.
R
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum