Texas Hunting Forum

Hearing protection

Posted By: Drop Tine

Hearing protection - 03/15/19 01:37 AM

Having a light-ish 300 win mag built and it will have a gill style brake. What are ya'll using for hearing protection when hunting? Will use plugs and muffs when practicing, but not sure I want to use muffs.....if I'm hunting in warm/hot weather.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 02:19 AM

I wear Electronic muffs at the long range match every year. They suck and it is hotter than hell but they work. If hunting I just put the suppressor on it.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 02:21 AM

Suppressor.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 02:30 AM

I like the surefires with the flange/valve thing.

If you’re hunting, why not a cheap set of muffs? I’ve killed a few deer with a muzzle brake, and always put on muffs. Target deer comes out: grab muffs.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
I like the surefires with the flange/valve thing.

If you’re hunting, why not a cheap set of muffs? I’ve killed a few deer with a muzzle brake, and always put on muffs. Target deer comes out: grab muffs.

Agree on the surefire. Cheap, effective and fit well.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
Suppressor.

FTW.

It's probably been 5-6 years or more since I've shot a rifle without one...except one time when I accidentally left it at home.

For shotgunning I use these:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/radians-snug-plugs™-ear-plugs#repChildCatid=33452
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 05:52 AM

https://www.cabelas.com/product/IMP...v_7mD4QIVNB-tBh10NANJEAQYAiABEgKTffD_BwE

These. They are cheap and they work. You can find them on sale for $49. I have a 300WM with a brake and it’s what I use.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

These. They are cheap and they work. You can find them on sale for $49. I have a 300WM with a brake and it’s what I use.

Amen. I'm on my second pair- the first pair I wore so much the earpads wore out. I never shoot anything except a pellet gun anymore without ear protection- even suppressed..
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 12:17 PM

II’ve ignored my ears and now have hearing aids, I’m careful about not losing more of it. I now wear both foam plugs and over priced muffs.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 12:34 PM

Muffs or foam plugs only when shooting at the range. Part of the joy in hunting, at least for me, is hearing all the sounds that go with being in the woods far away from the city.

I do sometimes enjoy passing the time while sitting in the stand listening to the radio using a single ear bud with the volume turned down low.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 02:09 PM

I have the non-bluetooth version of THIS. They offer excellent protection, decent sound quality and are quite comfortable in the heat.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 02:47 PM

I just started using the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X Electronic Earmuffs. These have the gel cup seals, very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 02:55 PM

Tie some foamies or surefires to your hat
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Hearing protection - 03/15/19 03:00 PM

Suppressor.

This. Haven't gone hunting with any of my non-threaded guns since owning mine.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Hearing protection - 03/16/19 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by ZK-315
Suppressor.

This. Haven't gone hunting with any of my non-threaded guns since owning mine.

Same here. If it doesn't take a suppressor, it doesn't come out of the safe.
I keep a set of electronic ear muffs in my backpack at all times just in case I am around others who shoot unsuppressed. I know I have a set Walker's Game Ears and I forget what the other pair is, probably Walker's as well. The second one has bluetooth.

Re: Hearing protection - 03/18/19 09:38 PM

Suppressor probably isn't in the cards for this rifle, don't need an extra 7-8" hanging off a 25" barrel. Looks like a good set of plugs is enough for hunting and will use plugs and muffs when practicing. Thanks fellas!
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Hearing protection - 03/18/19 10:08 PM

HUH?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Hearing protection - 03/18/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
I just started using the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X Electronic Earmuffs. These have the gel cup seals, very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Me too and I agree.

Re: Hearing protection - 03/19/19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nitro27
HUH?

HUH?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Hearing protection - 03/19/19 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
II’ve ignored my ears and now have hearing aids, I’m careful about not losing more of it. I now wear both foam plugs and over priced muffs.

Me too. Can't afford to lose any more of my hearing.
Posted By: BGHB

Re: Hearing protection - 03/21/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

+1 for these electronic muffs. I've had a pair for about 8 years now and I really like them. I use them paired with ear plugs at the range and wear just the muffs while I'm out hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum