Texas Hunting Forum

New Bolt Action

Posted By: Ryan F.

New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 04:45 PM

If you had $700-$800 to spend on a new rifle for hunting mule deer, antelope and elk (rifle only), what would you buy?

Things I am trying to keep in mind in order of priority...

1. Weight and barrel length
a. As short as possible because I would like to hunt with my suppressor
2. Availability of reloading components and off the shelf ammo
3. Aftermarket parts

Been looking at this ----> LINK in both the 308 and 6.5. Mostly because it is threaded and I thought about 308 due to it being a 16.5" barrel. Just not sure about taking an elk at distance with such a short barrel.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 07:06 PM

Would someone please suggest something other than a Tikka. It's starting to read like a Tikka commercial around here.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Would someone please suggest something other than a Tikka. It's starting to read like a Tikka commercial around here.

Nobody likes a winner.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 07:09 PM

Sako A7 in 30-06, DONE.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Sako A7 in 30-06, DONE.

Thank you.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 07:28 PM

308 in a short barrel (16.5")on elk and you're going to limit your distance some but truthfully you aren't going to be taking out elk at a real long range with a 308. I'm guessing around 250 - 275 yards (1973 f/s and 1539 ft-lb). Depends a little on what you're comfortable with as far as ft-lbs. But in my opinion doable!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:01 PM

all three of those animals are gonna be found in situations where you would require longer shots.

Personally, for a do-all rifle, I would suggest a .300 win mag. More than needed for antelope for sure but its a good elk cartridge and good for mule deer.

Assuming your right handed, I would choose the browning hells canyon speed w/ a muzzle brake at that price point. The Remington AWL is another good one I like, but you'll have to add a brake.

Suppressors are fine imo for blind hunting but i'm not sold on them as an all purpose accessory. My buddy has one on his 6.5 with a 26" barrel and it looks and handles like a musket. fun to shoot but a major PITA to carry around.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:15 PM

I think weight is overrated unless you are chasing goats/sheep in some serious mountains. For trundling around Colorado or New Mexico, you're not going to notice a pound or two's difference while also carrying a 20+ pound pack. I have a Model 70 in .308 that Morgan cut to 20" for me. Even with an 8" suppressor it's not bad. Balance is the key-if you mount the suppressor and the rifle still balances, you'll be fine.

If you want to go short and maintain power, I'd look at a .300 WSM. You can load down to a 165/168 and get some speed back and have plenty of smack out to 500/600 yds on elk-sized critters.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:16 PM

Tikka with 20" threaded barrel in 308

Sako with 20" threaded barrel in 308

Browning with 20" threaded barrel in 308

Ruger with 20" threaded barrel in 308

Used or NIB resale Remington with 20" threaded barrel in 308 with Timney or Jewel trigger

Pick the one that you like the feel and trigger best. Go to Cableas and try them all. You might find it comes down to the best deal between them.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
all three of those animals are gonna be found in situations where you would require longer shots.

Personally, for a do-all rifle, I would suggest a .300 win mag. More than needed for antelope for sure but its a good elk cartridge and good for mule deer.

Assuming your right handed, I would choose the browning hells canyon speed w/ a muzzle brake at that price point. The Remington AWL is another good one I like, but you'll have to add a brake.

Suppressors are fine imo for blind hunting but i'm not sold on them as an all purpose accessory. My buddy has one on his 6.5 with a 26" barrel and it looks and handles like a musket. fun to shoot but a major PITA to carry around.

That's because it's obvious you don't own one that's lightweight and not long. If you did you wouldn't of typed this.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

That's because it's obvious you don't own one that's lightweight and not long. If you did you wouldn't of typed this.

my issue with suppressors Is if you get it cut down to 16.5 " of barrel your losing so much velocity. a .300 win mag for instance would have ballistics more similar to a .308 or less.

I do like how quiet they are

Posted By: huck18

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:44 PM

Tikka stainless in whatever caliber you would want. Probably 30-06 or a long action magnum for the big critters.
Posted By: huck18

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:45 PM

Tell the other rifle manufacturers to produce a better product that can compete with the Tikka.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by huck18

Tell the other rifle manufacturers to produce a better product that can compete with the Tikka.

it would be shorter list to name the manufacturers that are worse than Tikka....
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 10:23 PM

I’m going to have to agree. Elk are big.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/24/19 10:33 PM

Ryan, all the game you mentioned are western big game animals. Open spaces and wind are a fact of hunting both the prairie and mountains. As mentioned earlier by going to a 16.5" barrel you are giving up a lot of what best fits to mitigate the open spaces and wind you will most likely be dealing with. If you go that route anyway, a short powder column of fast burning powder in something like a 308 to make velocity PDQ. Either Tikka or Savage will have a thick enough barrel to thread, shoot well, and be in budget.

I answered your question as asked first. Now to suggest a rifle well suited to hunting the stated game: I would do away with the suppressor in favor of a lightweight 20"-22" barrel. A Remington model 7 in 300wsm would really answer the bell for your stated use. A pleasure to carry long miles and extra horsepower when it's time to close the deal. Regardless of what you may read, a lightweight rifle is a big plus chasing spot and stalk game out west. I am a forester and can cover ground on foot day in and day out with the best. I am a fit 6 ft 195 lbs. After daylight to dark for a few days, shedding 2lb becomes a big deal that is too late to do anything about. I can assure you, there is 2lb of something you can carry that you will enjoy more than a 9lb rifle.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 01:08 AM

even if you are in flat country walking along way with a heavy gun will wear on you.

When I go to the mountains I carry as light a gun as possible that will still offer performance.

And if you hunt enough you will shoot longer distances. My elk was shot at 267 yards. I've killed mule deer at 300.

Last year I saw a nice ( by my estimation 190ish inch) buck in Colorado. Came out at last light. He stopped and fed in a meadow 311 yards away. So you would need a rifle/cartridge combo to be able to cover that distance, and carry the mail when it gets there, as a Colorado Mountain Mule deer isn't a tiny critter. I would be fine taking that type shot with my .257 but for a do all gun its really, really hard to beat the .300 win mag.

The 30-06 is fine but I've found the recoil between the two in the rifles I shot to be negligible, if i'm gonna get kicked I want the added performance of the .300 win

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 01:15 AM

it would be shorter list to name the manufacturers that are worse than Tikka....

This is laughable.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 01:22 AM

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...bolt-action-rifle-with-flat-dark-earth-s
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 01:24 AM

Sako A7 in 30-06, DONE.

Thank you.

Hey Dan. There's something I need to tell you about Sako and Tikka. You sitting down for this?

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Sako A7 in 30-06, DONE.

Thank you.

Hey Dan. There's something I need to tell you about Sako and Tikka. You sitting down for this?

I think I know what you're going to say, and I think I know his head will explode.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Sako A7 in 30-06, DONE.

Thank you.

I think I know what you're going to say, and I think I know his head will explode.

Same company.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:17 AM

Is the reason everyone goes to the tikka and not the sako just the cost factor?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:05 AM

Bergara Ridge in 300 Win Mag.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Is the reason everyone goes to the tikka and not the sako just the cost factor?

Yes, Tikka is no slouch, but Sako is superior. At twice the price though, it should be. Both have earned a reputation for superb accuracy.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:33 AM

This is laughable.

Whats laughable is all y’all acting like the tikka and the 6.5 creedmoor are the holy grail of rifles. Like that’s what Jesus is gonna be shooting when he comes back.

Tikkas are decent rifles. They are accurate. They are priced decent. But so are savages.

There are many rifles that are better than tikkas.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:40 AM

Not for under $800
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:47 AM

popcorn

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan F.
If you had $700-$800 to spend on a new rifle for hunting mule deer, antelope and elk (rifle only), what would you buy?

3. Aftermarket parts

Been looking at this ----> LINK in both the 308 and 6.5. Mostly because it is threaded and I thought about 308 due to it being a 16.5" barrel. Just not sure about taking an elk at distance with such a short barrel.

The rifle you pointed out in your OP appears to have very good marks from owners. Unless someone who actually owns one points out a flaw that could spell trouble, I would suggest staying with your original decision. My Remington 700 has killed more deer and hogs than anything in my safe. But of course much of that is because it was my first deer rifle.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:52 AM

This is laughable.

Whats laughable is all y’all acting like the tikka and the 6.5 creedmoor are the holy grail of rifles. Like that’s what Jesus is gonna be shooting when he comes back.

Tikkas are decent rifles. They are accurate. They are priced decent. But so are savages.

Name one anywhere close to that price range. Please. Just one will do. I hope you’re not suggesting savage has anything in the same class at any price range.

The Creedmoor did not save the world, Hornady just made it where the masses can play with the handloaders.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:53 AM

And yes I’m about to build a savage.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:54 AM

If the folks at Yeti and Tikka should ever team up to create coolers and rifles, some of you guys are going to be taking out loans to buy the latest offerings.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:58 AM

If the folks at Yeti and Tikka should ever team up to create coolers and rifles, some of you guys are going to be taking out loans to buy the latest offerings.

But they haven’t, so in the meantime we’ll continue to enjoy great rifles at great prices.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 04:23 AM

You’re so far off base it’s ridiculous. Yeti has excellent marketing for an equal product. Tikka is a superior product and their only marketing is done by the customers.

Honestly Dan and TXtrophy if didn’t already own tikkas back when people had never heard of them I might not buy one now. I hate fads and don’t want what everyone else has. The facts stay the same though, they have an excellent product.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 06:42 AM

Tikka 7mm Rem Mag would be a good choice. I love mine.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 01:13 PM

What a dumb post.

Yeti angered the whole gun industry last year. NRA severed ties with them. Gun owners destroyed some coolers. Yeti and Nike are good ole ANTI-American companies. Probably right up the alley for a man that throws a U.S. flag in the trash.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:19 PM

I may never buy another rifle again that doesn't have a barrel nut. I may eventually convert all of the rifles I have without them to have one.

I think the rifle/calibers and barrel length your looking at in the OP are pretty sub standard choices for what your wanting to do with them. I also think if you put it together, do your homework and are prepared it will accomplish the task at hand. That said ive never shot an elk. So take it for what its worth...

When I do finally put together an elk hunt im not going to be toting a neutered 308/6.5 CM etc.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169

This is laughable.

Name one anywhere close to that price range. Please. Just one will do. I hope you’re not suggesting savage has anything in the same class at any price range.

The Creedmoor did not save the world, Hornady just made it where the masses can play with the handloaders.

Weatherby
Browning

Possibly:

Howa
TC
Posted By: Shane431

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:49 PM

I agree with the above statement and would take my 7 mag if I was going for elk. A 308 will work but you’re going to have to get a little closer. For anything smaller than a elk a 308 will work fine. A lot of animals, including elk, have been taken with a 308.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 02:59 PM

3. Aftermarket parts

With either of those calibers you have distance restrictions but really not much different then a 30-06 or lessor case Capacity. If you aren’t going to shoot over 300 yards it really doesn’t matter. Now if your idea of distance is much further then look at a different rifles with optimum barrel lengths
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:38 PM

You’re so far off base it’s ridiculous. Yeti has excellent marketing for an equal product. Tikka is a superior product and their only marketing is done by the customers.

Honestly Dan and TXtrophy if didn’t already own tikkas back when people had never heard of them I might not buy one now. I hate fads and don’t want what everyone else has. The facts stay the same though, they have an excellent product.

spot on, couldn't agree more. Btw, Yeti buys licenses rights from Pelican for details concerning the insulation manufacturing process. As opposed to Tikka who took all the lessons learnt over years, including Sako, and decided to find a way to produce a very cost effective tool.

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

What a dumb post.

Yeti angered the whole gun industry last year. NRA severed ties with them. Gun owners destroyed some coolers. Yeti and Nike are good ole ANTI-American companies. Probably right up the alley for a man that throws a U.S. flag in the trash.

Bingo. On so many other level other than literal product comparisons.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 03:43 PM

The NRA isn’t exactly the paradigm of hope for the American gun owner....
Posted By: aggie-01

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 04:57 PM

Howa HS Precision in good old .270. Less recoil and still able to shoot a good 150gr bullet.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

spot on, couldn't agree more. Btw, Yeti buys licenses rights from Pelican for details concerning the insulation manufacturing process. As opposed to Tikka who took all the lessons learnt over years, including Sako, and decided to find a way to produce a very cost effective tool.

What a dumb post.

Bingo. On so many other level other than literal product comparisons.

I think you guys are overthinking my post. I was simply poking humor at those who chase after something just because everyone seems to want one.
Posted By: howl

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 05:25 PM

My guess would be to make it as short as possible of action while throwing a not-too-heavy bullet from an overbore cartridge. A 270 WSM Remington Model Seven might be it, if you got a good new one or a good deal on a used one to re-barrel.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 05:49 PM

What rifle will work for YOU, may be a different rifle someone else. So, to fit YOUR needs for a rifle, work you problem "backwards". Meaning, pick the weight of the rifle you are comfortable with, pick how much power you want for the round (300 blk out, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 28 Nosler, etc), and select your barrel length and bullet choice from there. Once you have a set criteria, then you can rifle shop for the rifles that meet your needs.
Posted By: watchale

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/25/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
What rifle will work for YOU, may be a different rifle someone else. So, to fit YOUR needs for a rifle, work you problem "backwards". Meaning, pick the weight of the rifle you are comfortable with, pick how much power you want for the round (300 blk out, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 28 Nosler, etc), and select your barrel length and bullet choice from there. Once you have a set criteria, then you can rifle shop for the rifles that meet your needs.

Where's the like button? up
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 02:24 AM

Tikka is a solid rifle for the money. They just work. If you don’t like them, don’t buy one. I think Weatherbys are ugly and Ruger 77s are pretty. Everyone has different tastes.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
. I think Weatherbys are ugly.

Blasphemer
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 06:58 AM

Tikka is a solid rifle for the money. They just work. If you don’t like them, don’t buy one. I think Weatherbys are ugly and Ruger 77s are pretty. Everyone has different tastes.

Scottfromtherealworld.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 02:51 PM

Scott probably hates prime rib, muscle cars and Johnny Walker liquor too

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 03:37 PM

Check out www.cdnnsports.com in Abilene.

They have some smoking deals on Rugers and others.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 05:18 PM

Ruger does make a hell of a rifle I own two.

I’ve killed more game with my Ruger MKII .270 than any other rifle I own combined
Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/26/19 06:33 PM

What a dumb post.

Your data regarding Yeti is incorrect.
Posted By: Wreckt

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/27/19 03:35 PM

CZ 557 sporter in 30-06. Just picked one up and added a vx-3i. Amazing bang for the buck. Walnut stock, short sporter barrel, CZ accuracy and dependability .... works for me. Kicks a little, bit it’s a field rifle not a bench paper puncher so I can live with that.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/27/19 06:02 PM

I’ve killed more game with my Ruger MKII .270 than any other rifle I own combined

Don't own any of their rifles but the quality of the workmanship in my Ruger Mark IV .22 handgun is exceptional.

I'm sure most if not all would agree, but there's a distinct feel you get when handling an exceptionally made firearm and the Ruger Mark IV has it.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/27/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Check out www.cdnnsports.com in Abilene.

They have some smoking deals on Rugers and others.

Yep. I just bought a TC Venture 30-06 for $300

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/27/19 11:16 PM

Don't own any of their rifles but the quality of the workmanship in my Ruger Mark IV .22 handgun is exceptional.

I'm sure most if not all would agree, but there's a distinct feel you get when handling an exceptionally made firearm and the Ruger Mark IV has it.

A Ruger M77 rifle just has a feel about it that seems solid. Some guns have them and some don't and price doesn't necessarily reflect it.

Old school model 700's, Winchester model 70's had them, Ruger has them, Weatherby Mark V's, etc.

Went and played with a Fierce rifle the other day and it felt cheap to me. Def. did not feel like a $3k rifle.

They are def. working rifles but the Howa 1500 has gotten a nod from me. No frills but the action and triggers are solid and for a working gun that isn't a cheap piece of carp I recommend them.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 01:44 AM

For your criteria, I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. More accurate than it has a right to be, the .308 is very forgiving in a shorter barrel, and not many hooved animals in North America haven't fallen to it. Oh, and it's a short action. I like those. If I was going on an elk hunt tomorrow I'd bring my Ruger Gunsite and my Winchester M70 Featherweight, also in .308, as my back up. Third choice, which has killed some elk, would be my Remmy M700 in .25-06. That's just a killing machine. It doesn't even feel fair most times.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 01:53 AM

Scott probably hates prime rib, muscle cars and Johnny Walker liquor too

roflmao

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ackley_improved

What a dumb post.

Not.

NRA made a deal with Yeti.

In the middle of the order, Yeti changed the prices. Where I come from, that is crawfishing on a deal. And that is bs
Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 12:37 PM

What a dumb post.

Not.

NRA made a deal with Yeti.

In the middle of the order, Yeti changed the prices. Where I come from, that is crawfishing on a deal. And that is bs

Spin that NRA narrative all you want, but the facts remain facts. I am a huge second amendment supporter...but I am a bigger supporter of honesty.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 02:48 PM

Spin that NRA narrative all you want, but the facts remain facts. I am a huge second amendment supporter...but I am a bigger supporter of honesty.

While I remain a member, my opinion of the NRA dropped when I realized they were sending me renewal notices without any regard to my membership being soon to expire. When I called and questioned them about it, I was told they do it because members like to get the free gifts, even when their membership is not set to expire for several years or more. Pardon the pun but I don't buy it.

Now I just periodically check the date on the mailing label on the NRA magazine that I get to alert me as to when I need to renew.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
For your criteria, I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. More accurate than it has a right to be, the .308 is very forgiving in a shorter barrel, and not many hooved animals in North America haven't fallen to it. Oh, and it's a short action. I like those. If I was going on an elk hunt tomorrow I'd bring my Ruger Gunsite and my Winchester M70 Featherweight, also in .308, as my back up. Third choice, which has killed some elk, would be my Remmy M700 in .25-06. That's just a killing machine. It doesn't even feel fair most times.

is that the rifle with the rail on the barrel, the flash suppressor and the extended magazine? kinda looks like a Mini-14?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 10:59 PM

Dang. This is almost as good as that thread I made in the land/leases forum.

For what it's worth, coming from a dude that's only shot one deer, which was with a .243. The only centerfire rifle I currently own is a marlin 336 30/30.

I have been searching a lot on nilgai rifles, and reading a lot about it in this forum particularly. I am probably going to snag myself a Remington Model Seven in 300 WSM. It's available with open sights or without, stainless or blued, laminate or synthetic and I could probably use that one nice rifle for everything I will ever hunt on the continent. Not the best or the worst but it's quality and built on a short action that saves almost a half pound of weight.

Save a little money and later down the road put a McMillan hunter's edge and a fixed 6x leupold and you have a real nice lightweight and effective gun.

If you're just looking for a good deal, buy used from a pawn shop, look for guns with light surface rust you can easily straighten out with a piece of 0000 steel wool and some oil. You can find great deals that way, and when it comes time to sell, get a full return on the initial cost of the gun. I shop for guns almost strictly from pawn shops. Long as the bore is bright and the rust isn't pitted it's good to go.

Edit- here is the model 7, stainless synthetic, in 300 wsm for $699 at academy:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/re...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4985773
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter

is that the rifle with the rail on the barrel, the flash suppressor and the extended magazine? kinda looks like a Mini-14?

It is. The rail comes off and the scope can be mounted forward, "scout" style, or over the receiver, traditionally. The magazine mine came with is flush mount.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/28/19 11:42 PM

While I remain a member, my opinion of the NRA dropped when I realized they were sending me renewal notices without any regard to my membership being soon to expire. When I called and questioned them about it, I was told they do it because members like to get the free gifts, even when their membership is not set to expire for several years or more. Pardon the pun but I don't buy it.

Now I just periodically check the date on the mailing label on the NRA magazine that I get to alert me as to when I need to renew.

The NRA stays afloat and helps gun owners (helps all free Americans in my opinion) with the money they get from supporters/members. If they send me a renewal offer well before my membership expires and I've got money, I'll renew cause I might not have money when it expires. I also occasionally donate extra funds to support the organization that supports me. So what if your membership doesn't expire for 2 years, if you got a little extra, give it to them. quitchabitchin

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/29/19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

The NRA stays afloat and helps gun owners (helps all free Americans in my opinion) with the money they get from supporters/members. If they send me a renewal offer well before my membership expires and I've got money, I'll renew cause I might not have money when it expires. I also occasionally donate extra funds to support the organization that supports me. So what if your membership doesn't expire for 2 years, if you got a little extra, give it to them. quitchabitchin

Till the NRA threw us under the bus with the bump stock thing...
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 11:31 AM

Coupla things.

Agree with the NRA criticisms. However, find another "group" that stands with/for gun owners. Yep, they do get drawn into political stuff like bump stocks. Like said in the book The Godfather "Nothing personal. It's just business.".

Lots of good shooting irons out there. And, almost every company makes mistakes. That said, I'll never have another Remington. I have an early 700 in 222 that had the trigger problem that they denied for years. The CEO should be doing prison time.

I remember this type of argument from the 1960's. I was in the USAF. There was an all services shooting match between Air Force, Army, Navy and Marines. The Armorers and Vendors showed up and argued these same points. No way any of these experts would back down on anything. One thing they did agree on was the early Colt 223's being a dangerous POS. Don't remember what the Colt Rep said. BTW, the USAF came in dead last. We had full time jobs and the Army and Marine guys on their shooting teams did nothing but shoot.

To the OP. Don't know your level of experience. Lots of good shooting irons out there and, IMO, a couple of questionable ones. Like other products, most gun companies turn out an occasional dud. Do you handload or will you buy off the shelf ammo? Caliber? I remember showing up in New Mexico to elk hunt quite a few years ago with my 165 gr loads and finding out that they mandated a 180 grain minimum.

All that said, my butchered 1917 Eddystone 30-06 has taken a lot of different types of game in the US and Africa. It's never let me down. Had to have it rebarreled a couple of years ago.

I have and hand load for a bunch of calibers. Been handloading for over 35 or more years. Still learning.
Posted By: Ryan F.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 12:13 PM

Ended up buying a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday at cabelas for $629. Great deal I couldn’t pass up. Mainly, it will be used for mule deer, whitetail and hogs with the occasional antelope or elk if I ever draw a tag. (If I do ever draw an elk tag I may even have an excuse to buy another gun in a 7mm or 300WM hammer )

I do handload but don’t have as much time to do it anymore and I know I can get a box of 6.5 Creedmoor off the shelf that will shoot extremely well. I also have a 6.5 grendel already in an AR platform that has become one of my favorite guns to shoot because it is so dang accurate. So far I am digging that 6.5mm bullet.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 01:00 PM

Ended up buying a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday at cabelas for $629. Great deal I couldn’t pass up. Mainly, it will be used for mule deer, whitetail and hogs with the occasional antelope or elk if I ever draw a tag. (If I do ever draw an elk tag I may even have an excuse to buy another gun in a 7mm or 300WM hammer )

I do handload but don’t have as much time to do it anymore and I know I can get a box of 6.5 Creedmoor off the shelf that will shoot extremely well. I also have a 6.5 grendel already in an AR platform that has become one of my favorite guns to shoot because it is so dang accurate. So far I am digging that 6.5mm bullet.

Another one drinks the kool-aid....

All kidding aside, that rifle will serve you well on deer sized critters up

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 01:29 PM

You're going to love that rig Ryan. Great rifle and cartridge.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 01:42 PM

What is the optimum length of the barrel for the Creedmor?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 02:03 PM

Ruger 77s are sexy.

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 03:23 PM

Good call.

Boringly accurate for a mass produced rifle. Throw it a hand load, and I will not be surprised if you keep three rounds less than 3/4 or 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I have done it with several Tikkas in various cartridges. And the 6.5 Creedmoor is on the list of "easy to make shoot well".

Re: New Bolt Action - 01/30/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
What is the optimum length of the barrel for the Creedmor?

Barrel length equals velocity. You decide on how fast you want the bullet to go. 24" barrel equals a 140 gr at 2780 fps MV. Every inch of loss is 20 to 25 fps of loss. But, at any length, they can be loaded to shoot well.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: New Bolt Action - 02/01/19 01:15 AM

There is a good reason for that!

Re: New Bolt Action - 02/01/19 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Z

There is a good reason for that!

Some of us look at data. Just data, and make a decision from that. I do not understand why someone gets upset when the same correct answer comes up for the same question.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: New Bolt Action - 02/02/19 02:49 PM

Browning X-bolt stainless stalker
Browning Hell's Canyon

Bergara B-14

Howa HS Precision
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum