Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting With Match Bullets On Purpose

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Hunting With Match Bullets On Purpose - 01/15/19 12:17 AM

Does anyone hunt big animals with match (target) bullets to intentionally get the explosiveness of a bullet like an A-MAX or a Nosler BT? I can see certain applications where it would make sense.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 12:40 AM

Define match ammo? Match ammo to me is ammo that is loaded to very tight tolerances to be very consistent, where you could shoot it in competition. Match ammo could be loaded with a hunting bullet, bonded bullet, BTHP, or something specific. I like to load my competition ammo with a hunting bullet so it can be used as dual purpose. In my 308, I like the 180 grain Elite Hunter at 2702 fps. In my 6.5, I like the 140 VLD-H at 2740 fps. In my 7mm/300 WM, I run the 195 Elite Hunter for ultra long range. All of which would be considered match ammo, and hunt with it.

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 12:45 AM

I should've said a match bullet. A-MAX, V-MAX, SMK, ELD Match, Nosler BT, Beger Hybrid.....you know about boolits.
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 12:48 AM

168 A-Max in 308 works really well on deer and hogs. It used to be listed in hornadys book for light skinned game.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 12:50 AM

I do in my Grendel. The SMK was lacking, but the A-Max and ELD-M have been great. They aren’t explosive, due to the velocity, I reckon.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 01:05 AM

I have used Amax and Vmax quite a bit
Loved the 178 Amax out of a 308 for both steel and game

Hunted this weekend and shot 2 does in the head and a pig behind the ear with 87g Vmax out of my 6mm Creedmoor.
Suffice it to say I watched all of them drop in the scope!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I do in my Grendel. The SMK was lacking, but the A-Max and ELD-M have been great. They aren’t explosive, due to the velocity, I reckon.

Stll have some A-Max loaded up in the Grendel. very good hunting bullet at the GRR velocities
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 01:06 AM

A-Max is a hunting and target bullet as fas as I'm concerned. I've launched thousands of them, many into animals. None walked away. SMK is prolly real good on hogs. Hit one spike with it one time. He walked about 50 yards and piled up, but historically there's no telling what they'll do on vitals. On brainstem, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. ELD-M I don't know, but I would not bet against them. Especially the 6.5mm 147 gr.
Posted By: dee

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 01:16 AM

I use Berger target vld in my 22 creed and have 88gr eld loaded to try out. Killed tons of critters with 162gr amax/eldm with 7mm7mm-08ai. Have killed several pigs with 6mm 105gr Berger hybrids and the trauma was substantial.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 01:24 AM

All I shoot from my 6.5 CM is match ammo. 120 grain A-max on a 170lb axis.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 01:40 AM

I probably won't ever use a more "traditional" match bullet like a Sierra Matchking on game, maybe pigs of course.

I would be happy if I just ran ELDX in every rifle for everything
Posted By: cblackall

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 02:05 AM

I run the 140 A-MAX in a 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 162 ELD-M in my 7-08. Both dual purpose (target/hunting) rifles. In my 7-08 I wrestled back and forth between the ELD-M and X. I ultimately decided on the M, based on my targeted muzzle velocity of 2650 fps. I already knew the A-MAX worked, and decided that a softer bullet should give optimal results. At modest velocities, I’ve found them to perform similar to a standard cup and core with a much better BC. Nine animals have been taken with my 7-08 shooting the ELD-M in the past 14 months. Two coyotes, six whitetails, and a cow elk ranging from 60-300 yds. The bullet performed flawlessly in all cases. The elk was shot at 300 yds, and a perfectly mushroomed bullet recovered in the offside hide.
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 02:14 AM

Both deer this year DRT with a 168 gr smk from the 308.

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 02:32 AM

Ya'll are kind of confirming what I thought would happen if I ran a 168 ELD Match at 2750 or so from a short 308. Hornady doesn't make an ELD-X in the 160 class, so I figured the Match would perform pretty well at lower velocities and I could take advantage of the high bc in the 168 Match.

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by cblackall
I run the 140 A-MAX in a 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 162 ELD-M in my 7-08. Both dual purpose (target/hunting) rifles. In my 7-08 I wrestled back and forth between the ELD-M and X. I ultimately decided on the M, based on my targeted muzzle velocity of 2650 fps. I already knew the A-MAX worked, and decided that a softer bullet should give optimal results. At modest velocities, I’ve found them to perform similar to a standard cup and core with a much better BC. Nine animals have been taken with my 7-08 shooting the ELD-M in the past 14 months. Two coyotes, six whitetails, and a cow elk ranging from 60-300 yds. The bullet performed flawlessly in all cases. The elk was shot at 300 yds, and a perfectly mushroomed bullet recovered in the offside hide.

That's good to know, Cody. If I run the 168s around the same speed as your 162, I can probably expect the same kind of results. Which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 02:59 AM

I have in the past and have several buddies who kill deer with the 168 gr 30 cal Sierra Match King out of a 300wm. Big exits, short easy to follow blood trails. Devastates deer and hogs and shoots tiny little groups. What's not to like? The guy that trusts what he has seen usually knows more than the guy who is repeating what he heard. I to am interested to hear which other combinations of caliber and match bullet are being used to good effect on game.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:10 AM

308 175smk 2630 mv.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:14 AM

I shoot 168 FGMM through mine and it takes does just fine.

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez

On critters?

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by 68A
308 175smk 2630 mv.
[Linked Image]

That's impressive.
Posted By: joshf303

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by cblackall

Spot on in my experience and opinion....no hesitation from me.

AMaxes, ELDMs, some Berger VLDs started at modest velocities (< 3k) in about anything I shoot anymore. Another "match" bullet I've run a bunch is the Lapua Scenar. They are a skosh harder than the 3 mentioned, but still upset very well on game at extended ranges. Run the180s in 7 SAUMs, 7 WSMs, and 7 Mags....139s have treated me very well in 6.5 SAUMs, 6.5x284s,260, and the Creamers...155s in a lightweight 308 are handy.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted by 2Beez

On critters?

That Axis and whitetail I killed yes. I shot the axis a little low but she went 20 yards. WT was dead in maybe 10. WT was a shoulder shot and axis was facing straight at me. I am new at this too FYI.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:39 AM

Nosler Ballistic Tip is a hunting bullet. rock_on
Posted By: scot

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:51 AM

[Linked Image]

All 5 of these didn’t take a step after getting ear holed by 178gr amax loaded pretty hot out of a 20” .308.

Sold all my loading setup so I’ll be using Fgmm until it lets me down. Got a pig but it was running away and I shot it in the spin so really don’t know if that is any sort of sign of the hunting capability of the match king round.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 03:56 PM

I'm running the 180 ELD-M in my fast twist 7 Rem Mag. I just got it going right before deer season, so I didn't have a chance to chrono the load, but it should be just over 2900 fps. Made one very impressive kill on a coyote and have no reason to doubt it would perform similarly on deer or elk sized critters.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 04:33 PM

Glad it’s working for y’all

I’ll stick with gamekings.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 04:53 PM

Have used Amax’s in 3 different rifles and have yet to have an animal go any distance after being shot. One 40 yards or so, the rest less than 10. I also don’t recall having one fail to exit but I shoot behind the shoulder.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 05:40 PM

I am back to using A-Max since I found some more in 7mm.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 06:28 PM

Amax has worked great for me in 243, 308, and 300 win. I also use 100 gr mk in my 257 wby. Explosive is an understatement.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 08:25 PM

I hunted for years with 77 grain OTM match and it was superb on anything I shot with it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/15/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ccoker
I have used Amax and Vmax quite a bit
Loved the 178 Amax out of a 308 for both steel and game

Hunted this weekend and shot 2 does in the head and a pig behind the ear with 87g Vmax out of my 6mm Creedmoor.
Suffice it to say I watched all of them drop in the scope!

[Linked Image]

up
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/17/19 09:29 AM

I use 123g Hornady Match Amax on deer and pigs. Never had a problem. Since they discontinued that round, I'll be switching to the 123g Hornady Black Match ELD-M next.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/17/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Toxarch
I use 123g Hornady Match Amax on deer and pigs. Never had a problem. Since they discontinued that round, I'll be switching to the 123g Hornady Black Match ELD-M next.

That’s what I did, and it’s been just as good.
Posted By: supersixfour

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/17/19 07:55 PM

if you're hunting out of a blind, with a solid rest and good conditions then I think shooting match bullets are fine.
If your stalking, walk up on something, or it's just plain old crappy weather outside, then shot placement could be less than ideal.
In those cases give me a stout bonded bullet that isn't going to blow up if I
put my shot in the wrong place. My preference is for a pass through wound and a blood trail..
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/17/19 10:38 PM

the Hornady precision hunter has done allright for me. I'm not seeing great bloodtrails
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/19/19 10:36 AM

I just neck shoot the deer. Little meat loss and the deer is DRT.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/19/19 11:46 PM

6.5x284 140gr Amax, .308 168gr Amax great results on deer up to a Red Stag with the .308

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/19/19 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Toxarch
I just neck shoot the deer. Little meat loss and the deer is DRT.

I killed my buck this season with a neck shot. He was walking away from .e and I shot him in the back of the neck. It turned his lights out.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Hunting With Match Ammo On Purpose - 01/20/19 01:04 AM

The Hogs and deer I’ve shot hate 168 grain Amax.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum