Texas Hunting Forum

Another brother - another rifle

Posted By: 603Country

Another brother - another rifle - 12/06/18 11:52 PM

My other brother called today. He quit hunting years ago, but now his grandkids want to hunt. He took one of them out last weekend, hunting with a single shot 410 with slugs. The kid, amazingly, got shots at a doe and an 8 point, but missed them both, but that got the kid and my brother fired up about hunting. So he called to ask what centerfire rifle to buy for the grandsons. I suggested the Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmore IF he could easily find ammo in Natchez, Mississippi. And, for minimum recoil I suggested he buy 100 gr ammo, and hoped he could find something with Partitions. For a scope, I suggested a 3-9 by any major manufacturer. He said he was heading to the store right then.

Sure am happy the brother is back to hunting, and getting the grandkids involved.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Another brother - another rifle - 12/06/18 11:58 PM

up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Another brother - another rifle - 12/07/18 12:42 AM

clap
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Another brother - another rifle - 12/07/18 01:00 AM

Outstanding and great recommendation cheers
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Another brother - another rifle - 12/07/18 02:23 AM

I called him just now. When he hung up from our earlier call, he went right to the hunting store and found and bought the RAR compact in 6.5CM and a couple of boxes of 120 gr ammo. No 100’s available there.

Won’t be long till a grandkid kills a deer, which I mentioned, and he realized that he’d soon be back in the skinning and gutting business. He had not considered that. And he needs to sharpen a knife, which he also hates to do. And I also reminded him that deer might need to be dragged a ways, and he probably needs a 4 wheeler. And on and on it goes. Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas!
Posted By: howl

Re: Another brother - another rifle - 12/07/18 03:17 AM

roflmao up up
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Another brother - another rifle - 12/08/18 02:57 AM

On the knife, grab a work sharp. Freaking love that thing, from hunting & kitchen knives down to lawnmower blades and the axe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum