Texas Hunting Forum

Stock tackiness

Posted By: syncerus

Stock tackiness - 12/01/18 03:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a Browning Short-trac BAR with a camo finish. Recently I noticed the stock coating had become increasingly tacky/sticky to the touch. It's now quite unpleasant. Can anyone recommend a way to remove the stickiness short of a complete refinishing (Duracoat or similar)?

Thanks a bunch
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/01/18 04:45 PM

I have read clear Krylon, but i would contact Browning, they have been replacing these stocks for free
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/01/18 04:53 PM

I had the exact same problem with my a-bolt. If you contact Browning they will replace the stock but I've heard you have to mail in your gun and wait a year.

Last year I just coated it with baby powder which made it tolerable to use.

This year I went ahead and removed the duratouch coating myself with nail polish remover, isopropyl alcohol, and steel wool. The nail polish remover removed the paint in a few spots so I touched it up, clear coated it, and buffed it with steel wool. I'm really happy with the results.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/01/18 06:52 PM

Browning will replace the stock but get ready for the run arounds. Had the exact same issue with a BPS. They promised me the moon and stars many times. Took a year to get it resolved and only after a very firm phone call from me.

I will never purchase another Browning product as long as I live because of how they handled that.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/01/18 06:54 PM

Oh.....and in my case they no longer offered the same camo pattern so be ready for a probable miss match stock.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/01/18 11:26 PM

hopefully with Browning wanting to take a bigger share of the market now they will make some kind of deal with you. My buddies brand new Xbolt, the magazine wouldn't stay in, they sent a new one, then the old one started working again.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/09/18 12:01 AM

I have 3 a bolt 2's in different calibers. One is real tacky, but they are a limited production rifle with a mossy oak stock so im not about to send it back. Just going to have to deal with it I guess.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/09/18 02:22 AM

I had the same problem with a BPS, but I had the exact opposite experience as JCB. Called and told Browning what was going on, they told me to send the gun in and they would replace the stock for free but it would take 12 months. Got a call about 6 months later where they told me my camo pattern was no longer offered so they would be sending me a brand new gun if that was ok with me. Had a new gun delivered to my house a week later.

It sucks that the duratouch coating has this problem and that you have to send your gun in and wait so long, but I was very pleased with the Browning customer service.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/10/18 05:01 AM

Don’t use OFF or any deet product and you will be fine.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Stock tackiness - 12/10/18 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty
Don’t use OFF or any deet product and you will be fine.

Yes, deet will screw up most plastics.
Posted By: 007007

Re: Stock tackiness - 06/14/19 03:26 PM

Sounds good but all 7 guns I have with this finish have the same issue.....I never use deet.
4 are Browning and 3 other brands.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Stock tackiness - 06/15/19 02:33 AM

Rubbing alcohol can remove the tacky feeling. Try a small area first to make sure it doesn’t effect the finish.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Stock tackiness - 06/15/19 10:31 PM

Actually, the talcum powder treatment did a pretty decent job. Not beautiful, but not sticky either.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Stock tackiness - 06/16/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dansmith30cal
I have 3 a bolt 2's in different calibers. One is real tacky, but they are a limited production rifle with a mossy oak stock so im not about to send it back. Just going to have to deal with it I guess.

clear coat
Posted By: 12shotgun

Re: Stock tackiness - 10/19/19 08:08 PM

Reviving this older thread hoping to get newer info. Just sent a x-bolt which has dura-touch back to browning, and had not used since before last season, so maybe 20 months or so, because the stock was super sticky, ridiculously sticky, fingerprints seemed to dig into the stock, I assume is just the coating but that bad.
When I first grabbed the gun from the safe/cabinet I was surprised by the stickiness, I checked other guns and all were fine. None other has the dura-touch treatment.
Most of the info I find is previous to the class action suit against browning being over, and was either people having a hard time getting them to acknowledge the issue, and others just calling and receiving a new stock with no issues.
Has anyone sent their gun back to browning recently, and if so what was your turn around time?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum