Texas Hunting Forum

Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/03/18 08:44 PM

Ive never owned a 410 but just bought a 410 lever action rifle. Ill be using it basically for skunks and snakes in the bottoms but wanted a shell that I could shoot at a hog coyote as well. At Walmart they have the Federal 410 handgun buckshot load. Im assuming this will be ok in the rifle but wanted to double check.

Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/03/18 08:58 PM

Which lever-action .410 did you end up with?

Is it a rifled barrel? If so, then about the only thing that you will be able to shoot accurately are slugs. If it is a smooth bore, then buckshot will be just fine in it.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/03/18 10:21 PM

I have killed pigs up to 120 lbs or so with that load from a Tarus Judge with I think 3 or 4 inch barrel. A friend has killed a lot more hogs with his 6 inch Judge with same load. @ 20 yards my pattern is about 7 inches. I would try them in the rifle. It shoots well from a Winny 410 lever action
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/03/18 11:05 PM

They did the special labeling to make the Taurus Judge / S&W Govenor buyers feel comfortable because they were asking exactly the same question that you are, only the other way around. As long as you're trying to use the .410 shell length (2.5 vs 3.0) appropriate for your firearm, you're good to go.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/04/18 12:25 AM

Get a #4 shot load and forget about it. Pattern if you’d like.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/04/18 12:27 AM

Why not just get the 3” and have more punch - especially for the coyotes and hogs?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/04/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
They did the special labeling to make the Taurus Judge / S&W Govenor buyers feel comfortable because they were asking exactly the same question that you are, only the other way around. As long as you're trying to use the .410 shell length (2.5 vs 3.0) appropriate for your firearm, you're good to go.
yup
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Probably a dumb ?- 410 shells - 08/04/18 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus

That's what I figured but wanted to make sure. Better to ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake.

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Why not just get the 3” and have more punch - especially for the coyotes and hogs?

this rifle only shoot 2 1/2", which is fine with me. Ill be using it on skunks and snakes 99% of the time but if I happen to see a hog or yote while on the cart in the bottoms Ill fire off a round at it. Im not using this to actually go out and hunt hogs or yotes.

Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR
Which lever-action .410 did you end up with?

Its the Rossi Rio Grande model stainless lever action. IVe always been very partial to lever actions and wanted stainless as Ill probably get it nasty and damp in the cart.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum