Texas Hunting Forum

What twist rate to look for?

Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy

What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 06:31 PM

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the Savage 270 or 6.5 Creedmore to hunt hogs and deer.

How do I know what twist rate to look for with rifles or does this matter? How does rate of twist play a role in decision making?

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/trophy/11-trophy-hunter-xp

Thanks,
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 06:38 PM

1:8 will do about anything you ever want to do with a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 06:39 PM

Pretty much every Creedmoor made is going to have a 1:8 barrel, unless you get something custom put on. 1:8 will pretty much shoot any load you want it to.

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Thank you kmon1

The Savage 270 have a twist rate of 1:10, what does this mean? Does this mean I am limited to what grain of bullet I can use?

Thanks
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 07:46 PM

Not really. That should be just fine for any .270 ammo you'll find on the shelves.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 07:50 PM

Major manufacturers usually put barrels on their guns that have a twist rate that can use the majority of the factory ammo that is available for the chambering.

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR
Major manufacturers usually put barrels on their guns that have a twist rate that can use the majority of the factory ammo that is available for the chambering.

Thanks HandgunHTR, so no worry on the twist rate.

Tank you all. I appreciate the help
Posted By: Judd

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 08:29 PM

Twist rate is something you should pay attention too. All the guys above are correct but you need to know what bullet you want to shoot and then make sure it'll stabilize in the twist you're looking at. The tighter the twist (or faster) the heavier the bullet you can stabilize.

Hope that helps explain it a little clearer.
Posted By: ckat

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/07/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Twist rate is something you should pay attention too. All the guys above are correct but you need to know what bullet you want to shoot and then make sure it'll stabilize in the twist you're looking at. The tighter the twist (or faster) the heavier the bullet you can stabilize.

In general, correct; but technically LONGER. Stabilization has to do with length, not weight.
Posted By: Judd

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/08/18 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ckat
Originally Posted By: Judd

In general, correct; but technically LONGER. Stabilization has to do with length, not weight.

You're right but as a rule of thumb to someone not familiar with bullets that's an easier explanation and an easier way for him to be able to look on the shelves and tell. wink

Re: What twist rate to look for? - 07/09/18 12:47 AM

Thank you all I appreciate the help
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum