Texas Hunting Forum

Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia

Posted By: chital_shikari

Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/03/18 08:35 PM

My cousin just messaged me asking if I could find him a magazine for his rifle chambered in .30-06. Down in Melbourne, where he lives, they're running for $300 (what he told me at least). Well, Brownells has it for $107.99 and free shipping, but my concern is getting it to Australia.

It's not high capacity (4 rounds, duh) and it's not a firearm (duh) so how would I get it to him? Just mail it with whichever carrier I feel like paying money to? Or is there more to it then that?

Are there any online resources that would help me find information on this kind of stuff? A phone number or a website of government agency maybe; I'm inclined to think ATF but there's so many agencies and so much overlap I'm not really sure.

Thanks for any help
Posted By: dee

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/03/18 09:50 PM

FedEx and forget....... Not true legal advice so if the atf shows up and shoots your dog it isn't my fault.
Posted By: beech96w

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/04/18 01:03 AM

ITAR is ~$2250/yr

$300 sounds like a good deal.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/04/18 12:10 PM

Don't do it. If you don't trust this advice, GTS. "Google that sh--"
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/05/18 09:45 PM

I realized at about 3pm that I have to call ATF.

I call the Waco office and went to Line 1 to whichever agent was answering that line. He sounded sleepy and/or bored. I couldn't help but notice the irony of having an ATF office in Waco...Anyway, he says he doesn't know but he doesn't think it should be a problem. He also recommended to call Dept. of State and confirm with them since they deal with international law.

I call the Dallas office to confirm and no one picks up. Go figure.

Then I call the State Department's public access line or whatever it's called and talk to one person, get transferred, talk to another person who a) doesn't answer my question and b) gives me 2 other lines to call. Apparently our federal government needs not 1 but 2 customs agencies; I didn't even know CBP was a thing!

I go on Google Maps and find the Houston office and dial them. They closed at 4:30 pm and I called them at 4:37...darn. 7 minutes!!! :angry:

I sent my cousin a few links, one for Brownells' international shipping policies and Australia's blah-blah Home Ministry blah-blah firearms import page. I also sent him the US embassy's number because that's one of the numbers State Dept. lady gave me.

Government. What would we do without it? Not play leapfrog on the phone, that's for one. roflmao
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 12:10 AM

Are you on a watch list?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Are you on a watch list?

rofl
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dee
FedEx and forget....... Not true legal advice so if the atf shows up and shoots your dog it isn't my fault.
go ahead and do this, let us know how that turns out. trout
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 01:03 AM

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi/impo/proh/firearms-and-weapons/ammunitions-magazines
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Are you on a watch list?

Probably will be now....
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 02:10 PM

Why the phone calls? The information is out there. It was also provided above. Put the phone down and hit the weights.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 03:50 PM

Don’t be surprised when you end up on a terrorist watch list
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Don’t be surprised when you end up on a terrorist watch list
trout clap
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Sending Sako 75 magazine...to Australia - 07/06/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: beech96w
ITAR is ~$2250/yr

$300 sounds like a good deal.

This.

You're basically exporting a defense article which is what ITAR is there for.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum