Texas Hunting Forum

Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro???

Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/20/18 03:15 PM

Hey guys!

Looking for opinions on the Beretta A300 versus the Benelli Montefeltro. Pros/cons of each. Which one is better?

Here’s what I will be using it for:

60% = Dove Hunting
20% = Duck Hunting
10% = Occasional other Hunting (pheasant, quail, etc.)
10% = Skeet

Thanks!
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/20/18 04:54 PM

I would look at it like this, gas vs. recoil. I don't own a A300 but have had several 303, 390 & 3901's all were softer recoil than the Monte I owned. Still have one 390 and a 303 the Monte is long gone.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/20/18 05:52 PM

A300 for that workload. Have 2 of them 90% duck 10% dove. No issues with sore shoulder. Fits me well, and swings nice. YMMV
Posted By: Crews

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/20/18 07:06 PM

I'd suggest the Beretta gas gun, only because it does a MARGINALLY better job cycling light 2 3/4 loads, and recoil is a bit easier if you bang through multiple boxes while you're dove hunting like I do.

If there was more emphasis on duck hunting, I'd go Benelli every time for the MARGINALLY better reliability under adverse conditions.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/20/18 07:41 PM

I have a camo A300 as my duck gun. Works very well for that purpose. Soaks up magnum loads like nothing.

I shoot a silver hunter for my Auto dove gun

I personally shoot 20 gauge guns for dove,quail and upland birds.... lighter, easier to carry and less recoil. I’ve killed a lot of ducks with a 20 gauge too but feel a 12 gauge is best as an all purpose waterfowl gun
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 03:27 AM

I’d go with the Beretta. It really works up the shots and makes the duck loads seem non existent. I was sitting in a blind on the coast when my Beretta and budddies Benelli went for a swim. Both gun were stripped and dried/oiled and put back into service. After about the first 9 rounds, the Benelli locked up and had visible rust, my beretta kept on working flawlessly.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 05:04 AM

I've borrowed both for shooting trap and sporting clays and don't have anything bad to say about either one. That said, I have a slight preference for gas guns so I would go with the Beretta. That's really the only difference, you either like gas or inertia. They are both well made.
Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 03:27 PM

Thank you everyone! Leaning towards the Beretta now
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 03:33 PM

I bought a Beretta A350 last season for ducks and dove. I absolutely love that shot gun. My buddy opted for the A400. The A400 is a little nicer and comes with more chokes and items. But both are great shotguns. The funny thing is, I'm so used to my old Mossberg pump, I shoot the pump better.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 07:00 PM

A300.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I bought a Beretta A350 last season for ducks and dove. I absolutely love that shot gun. My buddy opted for the A400. The A400 is a little nicer and comes with more chokes and items. But both are great shotguns. The funny thing is, I'm so used to my old Mossberg pump, I shoot the pump better.
its hard to het the pump reaction out of your system
Posted By: KyleW

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/21/18 08:05 PM

Beretta. Every Beretta I’ve ever shot shoots better with less recoil than the Benellis I’ve shot. Then again it is all personal preference. Shoot both before you buy if you have the ability to
Posted By: leswad

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/22/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I’d go with the Beretta. It really works up the shots and makes the duck loads seem non existent. I was sitting in a blind on the coast when my Beretta and budddies Benelli went for a swim. Both gun were stripped and dried/oiled and put back into service. After about the first 9 rounds, the Benelli locked up and had visible rust, my beretta kept on working flawlessly.

Did you oil the recoilspring in the Benelli buttstock?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/22/18 03:32 AM

Like the Beretta's but have a Montefeltro that isn't going anywhere soon.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/22/18 03:23 PM

I own both and I say Benelli. I also will say that these two guns the best shotguns to own for what you need them for. I know it’s my opinion but this comes from tons of research and hunting.

The Beretta has less recoil but it’s no fun to clean or simply remove the plug. I’d be a little nervous to remove the plug in the field. Unloading the Beretta is not as simple as the Benelli either.

Benelli inertia system is super reliable and simple. It can handle a wide spectrum of shells back to back while the Beretta requires you to change a gas cylinder if going from max dram magnums to light field loads. You may never have to change the cylinder... I never have but it’s cause I just use my Benelli if I’m not sure. The Benelli eats it all up...never a problem with cycling.

Either way you win. Both guns are amazing...
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/22/18 04:31 PM

I'm a die hard Benelli guy. They are just awesome machines
Posted By: brothernov

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/22/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
It can handle a wide spectrum of shells back to back while the Beretta requires you to change a gas cylinder if going from max dram magnums to light field loads.

I use my A400 for everything from late season ducks (3-1/2 inch Blindside) to trap competitions with very light loads and I've never changed a thing or had a failure of any sort.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Beretta A300 or Benelli Montefeltro??? - 06/22/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: brothernov
Originally Posted By: Wacm
It can handle a wide spectrum of shells back to back while the Beretta requires you to change a gas cylinder if going from max dram magnums to light field loads.

I use my A400 for everything from late season ducks (3-1/2 inch Blindside) to trap competitions with very light loads and I've never changed a thing or had a failure of any sort.

Yup, Beretta is a self adjusting gas system.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum