Texas Hunting Forum

AR Build

Posted By: coachwhite34

AR Build - 05/31/18 01:51 PM

So I am building an AR and my original intent was a 6.8 but someone talked me into the .277 wolverine. Anyone else have this caliber and do you like it?
Posted By: ccoker

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 01:54 PM

why the switch? just curious
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 02:17 PM

No way , stick with the 6.8 it will do all you want
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 02:21 PM

AR's are so yesterday confused2
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

So are muzzleloaders but people still shoot them. I say stick with the 6.8 SPC. You will be able to find a much better assortment of factory ammo if you are not a reloader. If you do reload, I'd say go with whatever floats your boat though I personally would still stick with the 6.8.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Most definitely are, I killed 2 hogs with mine, yesterday. AR’s are great for hog control, I’m over the the tacticool fascination tho.
Posted By: ruckmarch

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 06:05 PM

I am waiting for .277 wolverine to get SAMMI before I buy one. I am very interested in the Wolverine cartridge
Posted By: pertnear

Re: AR Build - 05/31/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
No way , stick with the 6.8 it will do all you want

+1 happy3
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: AR Build - 06/01/18 01:42 PM

This is my first build, I like that the .277 uses all 5.56 parts which are somewhat cheaper and easier to find if something breaks on me. I won't be shooting much past 300-400 yards and the folks I know that have them say they are very accurate to that distance. I also like I can just switch out a barrel and have a 5.56 if I want. I will probably eventually build a 6.8 because I do want one at some point.

This will also be my 8 year old first gun, I think the recoil will be easier on him than a 6.8.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: AR Build - 06/01/18 02:12 PM

Send ZenArchery a PM, he’s done some extended use of 277 wolvy
Posted By: bronco71

Re: AR Build - 06/01/18 03:26 PM

If you are thinking about the .277 wlv or 6.8 why not go with Mad Dogs improved 6.8? 2 grains more powder capacity and can shoot factory 6.8 in it also.
Lots of interesting wildcats on that site, gonna have to build a few of them bang
Posted By: ccoker

Re: AR Build - 06/01/18 03:32 PM

Do you handload?
I used to for my 6.8s, it got quite old trying to scavenge spent brass ejected from an AR in the field hunting.

Personally, I am pretty much over any cartridge that I feel the need to handload for. The differences between the wildcats and commonly available factory loads are so minuscule it's just not worth the effort (for me).

Is 277 Wolverine ammo readily available via multiple sources? online or local?

I will probably get a Valkarie upper at some point now that Hornady is offering factory ammo.

Just bringing the ammo availability up as a point of discussion and something to factor in to your decision making process.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum