Texas Hunting Forum

Torn rotator cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor

Posted By: Choctaw

Torn rotator cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:20 PM

Okay, I have torn rotator cuffs that I am rehabbing. In the past I have not been recoil sensitive in the slightest and dearly love my .270s. However, I want my shoulders to get stronger in the next year so I'm leaving some of my rifles in the safe. Would the 6.5 have less felt recoil than my 308 or 270s? I know I can look at recoil charts but I want real world experience.

Thanks.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:28 PM

Yes it is less than those two for sure. Mine is jumpy rather than straight back recoil
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:28 PM

I just had a torn rotator cuff injury that I rehabbed without surgery. I waited for 3 months before I shot, but with my 6.5CM I didnt even feel it. It does have a little bastard brake on it though I'm sure that helped some.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:32 PM

Thanks guys. I need a new rifle and it's time to see what all this Creedmoor talk is about.

KRoyal, after consulting with my surgeon (he seemed a bit too eager to start cutting) I also chose the rehab route. The recovery from that surgery is a bear.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:38 PM

Hope the rehab goes well. Recoil will be less than the 308 or 270 but still is recoil. a good break and recoil pad goes a long way though in reducing perceived recoil.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:47 PM

Shooting from a bench with a bag bipod and recoil pad mine has minimal amount of felt recoil. But, I've never torn my rotator cuff
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:51 PM

Yes, it recoils less than .308 and .270

Add a brake. Don't tell me it's loud, they are loud without a brake. Might as well have 30 to 45% less recoil.

Shoot it from the uninjured shoulder for a while. Yes, yes you can, if you make your mind up to do it.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Thanks guys. I need a new rifle and it's time to see what all this Creedmoor talk is about.

KRoyal, after consulting with my surgeon (he seemed a bit too eager to start cutting) I also chose the rehab route. The recovery from that surgery is a bear.

Yea, when I first went to the doctor they wanted me to get surgery and I told them flat out I wanted to try rehab first. After going to rehab the lady told me that I didnt need surgery just good rehabilitation. I went for 6 weeks twice a week and it worked out. I'm probably 90% back to what I was before. So glad I didnt get the surgery because the recovery is bad plus most people I talked to that had it done said it never got better and was never the same.

I actually felt more recoil out of my little 9mm CZ scorpion than I did my 6.5 when I shot them. Like Jason said a good brake does wonders. Yea its loud but thats what ear pro is for.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Shoot it from the uninjured shoulder for a while. Yes, yes you can, if you make your mind up to do it.

I'm glad I read this. I'm going to start training my head to do this this weekend with the 22, mostly because when I come to your place your going to make me do it anyway and 22 is most cheaper.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 02:07 PM

Dang right I'm going to make you do it! smile

I've dropped about half the animals I've killed right handed, and half left handed. Depends on which side of me the show up.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 02:10 PM

I've dropped about half the animals I've killed right handed, and half left handed. Depends on which side of me the show up.

I was stupid and blew out both shoulders at the same time. That doesn't leave me with much of a choice.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

I was stupid and blew out both shoulders at the same time. That doesn't leave me with much of a choice.

You got working feet, bruh?
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 02:18 PM

Two years ago I fell on my roof and completely tore 3 of the tendons in my left shoulder (I shoot lefty). Had surgery, 5 anchors put it. Lots of rehab, blah, blah, blah. Luckily my doctor is a hunter/shooter as well, and knew how much I shoot (I shoot nearly every day, have 100 and 200 yard ranges out where I work). I came out of my sling at 6 weeks post surgery. At 8 weeks I was shooting 22 RF. 10 weeks I was shooting 223. At 12 weeks I was primarily shooting my 243, and occasionally my 6.5 Creed.

Surgery is quite a bit different than rehab though. Most of what I tore was on the front side of the shoulder, including where the bicep muscle attaches to the shoulder. It was just as much about the weight I was lifting as it was the recoil. My 243 is a light rifle, whereas my Creed is pretty heavy. Also the angle of movement came into play, shooting prone. My shoulder just wasn't moving very well in that direction yet.

What I would say though, there is a pretty fair amount of difference between a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 270/30-06. I waited 6 months or so before I started shooting my heavier recoiling rifles. Just doing rehab and not having had surgery you should be fine with a 6.5, no problems.

All of my rifles I shoot suppressed as well, and that takes some recoil off them too.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 02:30 PM

a short action cartridge in a 10# rifle with an effective muzzle brake is a puppy dog.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 03:02 PM

Choctaw, If you need some reduced recoil 6.5 CM loads, I can help. I could load a 123 grain bullet to about 2600 fps (or less), and it cut the felt recoil over half from the regular 140 grain loads. It would keep your trajectories similar to the 140 grain bullets, but have much less recoil. Just a thought. Hope all goes well.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 03:08 PM

Add a brake. Don't tell me it's loud, they are loud without a brake. Might as well have 30 to 45% less recoil.

same here, get a "heavier" rifle 7#+, get a brake added. Not sure the best gunsmith near Texoma maybe 2Beez can direct you. The brake should cost around $200??? Personally I like the "radial: brakes on hunting rifles re;Vais/Vias

for shooting prone, off the ground a horizontal brake is best. I also like the way the radial look on the rifle you cant even tell where the brake starts, seamless. This is a radial below

This is horizontal:

IMO, most of the horizontal brakes look likw a tumor on the end or your barrel but they are effective, just ugly IMO
2cents
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

same here, get a "heavier" rifle 7#+, get a brake added. Not sure the best gunsmith near Texoma maybe 2Beez can direct you. The brake should cost around $200??? Personally I like the "radial: brakes on hunting rifles re;Vais/Vias

for shooting prone, off the ground a horizontal brake is best. I also like the way the radial look on the rifle you cant even tell where the brake starts, seamless. This is a radial below

This is horizontal:

IMO, most of the horizontal brakes look likw a tumor on the end or your barrel but they are effective, just ugly IMO
2cents

the Horizontal breaks work and do not throw as much dust and dirt into the ait when shooting prone. Oh wait Buzz doesn't shoot prone peep cheers

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
the Horizontal breaks work and do not throw as much dust and dirt into the ait when shooting prone. Oh wait Buzz doesn't shoot prone peep cheers

This.

Radial brakes are for bench and window shooters.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 04:28 PM

My new baby creed will wear a brake

I had to get a new gun since Fitz and tbeez broke my other one
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 04:34 PM

My wife hunted with a Savage 10 FM Mountain Rifle in 308 for years, very light, but stout recoil. She had rotator cuff/SLAP tear (from slapping me) and biceps tendon tear repaired. Didn't shoot a shotgun that year, then had to have the total shoulder replacement the following year; but switched to my SIG716 in 308 with a suppressor; got my hunting partner back, but lost a hell of a rifle... she decided weight was better than recoil.

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 05:53 PM

Folks, I would like to thank one and all for your comments. I am definitely getting a rifle in this caliber. I should have done so a couple of years ago.

Fireman, actually my feet are kind of jacked up too but that's for another thread. grin
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 11:31 PM

I've heard the Creedmoor actually aids in rotator cuff repair.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/23/18 11:47 PM

100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded at around 3000 fps really don’t kick much at all in my 260. Works pretty darn good on deer and coyotes.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/24/18 12:57 AM

I feel this another great opportunity to push the idea of 6.5 grendel in a bolt rifle, preferably in a heavier barreled format.

Seems like there's enough speed in that cartridge to push fast enough for hunting purposes and lord knows there's enough bullet choices for 6.5mm bullets.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/24/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I've heard the Creedmoor actually aids in rotator cuff repair.

I read that same thing in the American Medical Journal article. Supposed to be great for lower back pain too.
Laying a box of Creedmoor ammo on your forehead will also relieve migraines created by shooting lesser calibers.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/24/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Just SMGDH... That is shameful Princess.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/24/18 02:14 PM

The 6.5 Creedmoor was created by GOD BTW. Its HIS favorite cartridge too angel

then, like everything else, human man screwed it up creating the .22 and 6mm Creedmoor

blasphemy I say !!
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/24/18 04:46 PM

The 6.5 Creedmoor was created by GOD BTW. Its HIS favorite cartridge too angel

then, like everything else, human man screwed it up creating the .22 and 6mm Creedmoor

blasphemy I say !!

The 22 and 6mm just add to the legend....
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/24/18 06:15 PM

[quote=FiremanJG]Yes, it recoils less than .308 and .270

BUZZ did you forget what 2 beez brake looks like on his rifle? roflmao
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/25/18 02:56 AM

We just put a tampon on it ya big girl!

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/25/18 03:05 AM

I have sold that rifle and moving on

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/25/18 04:47 AM

I have sold that rifle and moving on

Like East with a lost knife roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/25/18 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: OkieDokie
[quote=FiremanJG]Yes, it recoils less than .308 and .270

BUZZ did you forget what 2 beez brake looks like on his rifle? roflmao

Replacing that soon I hope. That damn thing is bad. You guys will like the new version I promise.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Torn rotaror cuffs and the 6.5 Creedmoor - 05/25/18 10:54 AM

I'll agree with all the suggestions to get a brake. I was having issues with my 6.5 because it was jumpy and it made it tough to stay on the glass to see misses. Added the brake and it's like shooting a 223 now.

You don't need to spend a bunch either. Mine was a $100 self timing model from muzzle brakes and more. Installed it myself.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum