Texas Hunting Forum

Class III ??

Posted By: BoomStick

Class III ?? - 05/22/18 01:15 AM

So, I know a guy.........

He bought a Thompson over a decade ago while on a trip in TN. It was a private sale. It is original military apparently. Turns out is it can function as an auto. He does not have a tax stamp. An was thought it was covered as a C&R weapon.
So despite how the gun was acquired, what would be the proper steps to get a tax stamp while still possessing the gun.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 01:21 AM

I hate to say it but they will probably answer your questions for your friend when they knock on your door after that post.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 01:29 AM

Yeah he can’t. No new autos after the ban...

If he is in possession of an automatic weapon that does not have a nfa stamp I would contact an attorney that specializes in guns
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 02:07 AM

I see all kinds of red flags here. Very serious stuff, IMO. I think I might melt that SOB down if I was in that situation, but I like to think I'd never be in it in the first place.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 02:08 AM

Port-o-ban and a deep well. No dice getting it added to the registry.

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 04:25 AM

WOW these responses are hilarious. First, this forum is here say and no actual proof of anything factual. ATF just doesn't go around knocking on doors without probable cause and legitimate proof. But none the less thanks for the laughs.
Anyway, he has spoke with his father, and the gun was purchased through their trust after all, so the gun is legal as it sits. He is a younger guy that was not fully aware of everything when he was talking to me about it.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 08:12 AM

Glad he figured out it's legal. Tell him I'll give him $5000 to transfer it over to my trust.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: BoomStick
WOW these responses are hilarious. First, this forum is here say and no actual proof of anything factual. ATF just doesn't go around knocking on doors without probable cause and legitimate proof. But none the less thanks for the laughs.
Anyway, he has spoke with his father, and the gun was purchased through their trust after all, so the gun is legal as it sits. He is a younger guy that was not fully aware of everything when he was talking to me about it.

Kind of a tool reply...do your own fact checking research next time.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 12:19 PM

ATF just doesn't go around knocking on doors without probable cause and legitimate proof.

1st, this is not a laughing matter. I agree with you about the over-reactions of some on here though. I once mentioned a shotgun that I leave in the country as my rat getter and it is less than legal. To read some of the guys here you'd think the black helicopters were already circling over me with teams sliding down ropes out of them to capture me as an international criminal. Hollywood has a grand effect on peoples minds.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Class III ?? - 05/22/18 01:30 PM

Should anyone encounter such a scenario in the future, the first thing to do is ask ATF if the model/serial number is in the NFA registry. A lost stamp does not make an NFA weapon illegal, if it's in the registry, then ownership needs to be updated ($200 fee of course). If it's not in the registry, yes it would need to be surrendered as there is no mechanism to add any more full autos to the registry.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 02:39 AM

OP is an idiot, so you know a guy huh? The guy didn’t even buy the gun.

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

Kind of a tool reply...do your own fact checking research next time. [/quote]

Alright grumpy pants. Im sorry im not a paranoid person and assume that the government is out to get everyone. This was part of my fact checking. Actually checking for legitimate opinions on the matter. Such as 9x19's statement. Furthermore, I am aware that this is a forum and will have BS opinions, but I will retort as I see fit. If you dont like the program, change the channel!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 08:15 PM

I found a box of C4 under my shed can I claim this on my trust?
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

depends on if it's been shaped into little furry animals
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: spankyttx

depends on if it's been shaped into little furry animals
it was stuffed into some metal pockets and made into an improvised bangalore
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

Kind of a tool reply...do your own fact checking research next time.

Alright grumpy pants. Im sorry im not a paranoid person and assume that the government is out to get everyone. This was part of my fact checking. Actually checking for legitimate opinions on the matter. Such as 9x19's statement. Furthermore, I am aware that this is a forum and will have BS opinions, but I will retort as I see fit. If you dont like the program, change the channel!!

up

Dien got it right.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Class III ?? - 05/23/18 09:30 PM

Was it next to Gary's sawed-off shotgun?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum